Bangkok family tragedy: 2 lives lost in townhouse fire, extensive injuries to 3 more

webfact

สลด1-3-696x392-1.jpg

In the early hours of this morning, tragedy struck in the form of a fire that engulfed a five-story townhouse in Bangkok, claiming two lives and leaving three extensively injured. The victims were members of a single family.

One woman died after making a desperate attempt to escape the inferno by jumping from the fourth floor with her youngest son, who tragically succumbed to his injuries later. The father and eldest son endured injuries while escaping.

At around 2am, an alarming incident of fire was reported from an upper-class community in Yan Nawa district. Officer Kritch Petch Simmalai, a police investigator from Bang Pong Pang Police Station, rushed to the spot along with firefighters from Chan Road and volunteers from Ruamkatanyu Foundation. Upon reaching the site, they discovered a five-storey townhouse ablaze.

by Nattapong Westwood 

Picture courtesy of KhaoSod

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/bangkok/bangkok-family-tragedy-two-lives-lost-in-affluent-townhouse-fire-extensive-injuries-to-three-more

Thaiger

-- © Copyright Thaiger 2023-07-19

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Sad 2

Near my home they've just finished construction of some 5 story buildings, shop floor on the ground level with 4 floors above.

Only one flight of stairs gives access to upper floors, no fire escapes anywhere.

One already has an owner who has put external security bars on all windows.

If they have a fire good luck to them trying to get out.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, hotchilli said:

So many houses have those barred windows, often inside or out. Insanity, and it tells a lot about Thai society that they feel the need for them. I absolutely refuse to have them and have six burglar alarms as an alternative, although that wasn't the original reason I ended up with so many dogs :smile:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/19/2023 at 1:29 PM, hotchilli said:

Near my home they've just finished construction of some 5 story buildings, shop floor on the ground level with 4 floors above.

Only one flight of stairs gives access to upper floors, no fire escapes anywhere.

If they have a fire good luck to them trying to get out.

In Singapore the burglar bars have a lock & can be opened when needed. Why can't this be done here?

56 minutes ago, Letseng said:

In Singapore the burglar bars have a lock & can be opened when needed. Why can't this be done here?

Might be difficult in a panic , fire all around ,you to find the key , I will not have bars on the windows ,

what's more important , yours and your families lives ,or your possessions , no brainer to me.

regards woreordie