No milk today

clokwise

I thought it was common knowledge that New Zealand exports a huge amount of dairy products to Thailand as this country has a limited number of dairies, poor pastures due to extended dry periods and lack of investment. Hardly enough to satisfy a population of 69 m +people plus tourists.

NZ has 5 million dairy cows which is more cows than people ! 

In 2021, for example, they exported to Thailand $421m worth of concentrated milk powder which is made here into liquid milk. $72.5m worth of butter and $52.1 m worth of cheese.

Maybe there has been a delay in shipments but Makro, Mae Hia had plenty yesterday

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/22/2023 at 11:29 AM, BoganInParasite said:

Been down on supply in Pau in northern Nan province for a couple of weeks but almost none in any store last three days. This morning managed to pick up four 200 mls and two 450 mls bottles so got to avoid a shopping trip to Nan for a few more days at least. I'm used to Pua being on the end of unreliable supply chains (particularly during COVID) but this is the worst I've seen for milk.

Just passed through Pua recently on my first (I'm in Chiang Rai) road trip around Nan.  Fantastic area.  Oh yea, the milk situation seems a little sketchy here as well.

8 hours ago, sabaiguy said:

Just passed through Pua recently on my first (I'm in Chiang Rai) road trip around Nan.  Fantastic area.  Oh yea, the milk situation seems a little sketchy here as well.

Just came back from there also, after a bit of a loop, Nan-Bo Kluea-Pua-Nan ... fantastic area as you say.

Highly recommend to anyone who enjoys a nice ride, Hwy #1081.

Give it a #1 rating, actually a must see / do, and best so far in TH, AFAIK

On topic ... didn't look for or buy any milk ????

Edited by KhunLA
  • Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

Doesn't seem to be a shortage of milk currently in Non. Buy it twice a week at the 7 and there has been some available. Around here there traditionally has been less call for it and limited stock at the best of times.

Went to the Central Festival Tops market today and ordered an iced latte at the bakery.  I tasted almond milk in the iced latte.  I did not mind but did not ask for almond milk.  I went to the milk cooler and only saw the Meiji brand lactose free milk.  It looked there were about 25 bottles of the 830 Milliliter bottles of this milk.  This might be a bigger problem than I initially thought.  Could ice cream and yoghurt shortages be next? 

11 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Just came back from there also, after a bit of a loop, Nan-Bo Kluea-Pua-Nan ... fantastic area as you say.

Couldn't agree more.  Hwy 1081 wow along with others.  Turned 70 couple of months ago and my abused body can't handle an extended ride on two wheels like that.  But had great trip with Thai family and friends in comfortable vehicles.

• Love It 1

2 hours ago, sabaiguy said:

Couldn't agree more.  Hwy 1081 wow along with others.  Turned 70 couple of months ago and my abused body can't handle an extended ride on two wheels like that.  But had great trip with Thai family and friends in comfortable vehicles.

In the car, as long scooter rides are days past with me also.  Good for about an hour on the scooter now, vs 6 hr rides back in the mother land.

Don't think a cruiser scooter would help, as my back is shot for sitting that long on a scooter.  3ish hrs in a car, and I'm ready to a stretch the legs & munch break.

• Love It 1

14 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Posted elsewhere, but his is Makro today ...

... shortage ?

image.png.f764233d062761d336b2e67f902bbf4d.png

I just got back from the 7-11 and Lotus on Niimman and no milk of any kind.  Very few containers of even soy milk were available.  So I see a shortage. Also, the supply of yogurt was low.  

13 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

I just got back from the 7-11 and Lotus on Niimman and no milk of any kind.  Very few containers of even soy milk were available.  So I see a shortage. Also, the supply of yogurt was low.  

I'd try Makro if I were you.  Is the Lotus's a mini, or full size.  Damn tourist buying it all ... Rarely seen at Makro ????

On 7/22/2023 at 9:08 AM, Captain Monday said:

Why the hell do people buy this, Baking? 
Nasty stuff I have zero use for.

I was used to having cereal for breakfast in UK. Since being an adult haven't put milk in tea or coffee. Don't buy cereal in Thailand hence no need for milk. None of Thai family consume it either. 

48 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I'd try Makro if I were you.  Is the Lotus's a mini, or full size.  Damn tourist buying it all ... Rarely seen at Makro ????

Mini Lotus next to Bangkok Bank.  I will try Makro tomorrow.  

11 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

I was used to having cereal for breakfast in UK. Since being an adult haven't put milk in tea or coffee. Don't buy cereal in Thailand hence no need for milk. None of Thai family consume it either. 

Same with us. We never buy milk..not done for years. 

I fact we are virtually zero dairy.  The good cheese is imported and so overpriced so I won't buy it.   The normal processed cheese is disgusting...may as well eat melted plastic. 

I think the only time I eat cheese is if I eat.a pizza at an Italian restaurant...which is no more that twice a year. 

Edited by jak2002003
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

Mini Lotus next to Bangkok Bank.  I will try Makro tomorrow.  

6 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

Same with us. We never buy milk..not done for years. 

I fact we are virtually zero dairy.  The good cheese is imported and so overpriced so I won't buy it.   The normal processed cheese is disgusting...may as well eat melted plastic. 

I think the only time I eat cheese is if I eat.a pizza at an Italian restaurant...which is no more that twice a year. 

I'm the opposite, addicted to dairy.  2 liters last maybe 3 days, and I've actually cut back.  Need my cheese & ice cream also.

• Thumbs Up 1

Shortages around suthep road and huay kaew road too but sometimes it comes in, I grabbed a 2L dark blue one last night. I easily drink up to 1L a day but sometimes none at all for 2-3 days too.

Aside of milk I love orange juice which also sometimes have shortage (rarely can find the tipco shogun but otherwise love the sai nam pueng). Well at least they never run out of coffee here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, KhunLA said:

In the car, as long scooter rides are days past with me also.  Good for about an hour on the scooter now, vs 6 hr rides back in the mother land.

Don't think a cruiser scooter would help, as my back is shot for sitting that long on a scooter.  3ish hrs in a car, and I'm ready to a stretch the legs & munch break.

Two peas in a pod

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/21/2023 at 3:37 PM, Dcheech said:

... buying meji yoghurt & meji protein whey drink.

i find Meij yoghurt  and high-protein whey drinks better than other brands. The Makro house brand, Aro, large bottles of yoghurt, are cheap, and, delicious.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, The Fugitive said:

Same. Black coffee. I might take some almond/soy/rice milk. Fo cereal also

Imported cheese and ice cream OK

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/24/2023 at 8:41 AM, KhunLA said:

the 1081 is a dream ride

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/22/2023 at 3:08 PM, Captain Monday said:

Why the hell do people buy this, Baking? 
Nasty stuff I have zero use for.

Don't let the fact your post has absolutely nothing to do with the topic of the thread stop you from sharing your opinion. It must be a compulsion at this stage I assume.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/31/2023 at 12:06 PM, 0james0 said:

Milk is baby food. It gives off bad body odor in adults. Many Asians including Thais that don’t drink it say that farang/western people smell bad. I haven’t had any since my mother made me chew my own food.

Yes, oblivious to the fact they smell something of spoiled milk and rotting cabbage wrapped up in a diaper with some leftover curry. 

• Confused 1
  • Love It 1

I switched to the Thai-Denmark brand because I can find it at the small stand in Village Market here in HH and can not locate the Meji, unless your at the cooler when the crates are unpacked in Lotus and at Gourmet Market in BluPort.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1