Climate records tumble, leaving Earth in uncharted territory - scientists

Social Media

Just now, Yellowtail said:

You claimed: "The richest people are related to the fossil fuel industry and they get richer by bribing right wing politicians to do nothing."

Yeah, there are a few on the list, but none at the top of the list, and none of them are "...bribing right wing politicians to do nothing." 

"Honesty is not a left-wing value."

So, if THE richest person isn't a fossil fuel magnate that disproves my claim? Careful that straw doesn't break, there not too many of them left.

3 minutes ago, candide said:

It seems this right-wing/left-wing divergence about environmental issues occurs mainly in the U.S. (well, if the Democratic party could be considered as left-wing, lol! But never mind).

In other countries, there are plenty of right-wing governments who support environmental policies. Only the U.S. right-wing is that stupid (or, as shown by other posters, is bribed by oil companies).

Another idiotic, unsupported claim from the left, I'm shocked. 

1 minute ago, ozimoron said:

So, if THE richest person isn't a fossil fuel magnate that disproves my claim? Careful that straw doesn't break, there not too many of them left.

Not even the top ten, but to not be lying, you would still have to show that they are "...bribing right wing politicians to do nothing." 

Just now, Yellowtail said:

Not even the top ten, but to not be lying, you would still have to show that they are "...bribing right wing politicians to do nothing." 

Have a go at figuring out who donates to GOP climate denying politicians.

Study finds climate change fingerprints on July heat waves in Europe, China and America

https://apnews.com/article/heat-wave-deadly-climate-change-europe-america-4c361736afa70766049acdb189ccfd64

3 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Have a go at figuring out who donates to GOP climate denying politicians.

I'd say

Anyone with a shred of common sense.

Anyone that wants a modicum of personal choices.

Anyone that believes in freedom.

Anyone that wants a reliable grid.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Haha 2

On 7/22/2023 at 8:04 PM, placeholder said:

Yes. El Nino is a part of a natural weather system. The thing is, though, it's gotten increasingly hot in both El Nino years. 1997-98 hosted a exceptionally strong El Nino. Despite that, at the last nine years have all produced ed hotter average temperatures than that El Nino years.

image.png.8065321245cab0864692991bad70561c.png

https://www.climate.gov/news-features/understanding-climate/climate-change-global-temperature#:~:text=Earth's temperature has risen by,0.18° C) per decade.

That includes years when La Nina, not El Nino, was in play. Among other things, It  cools the lower atmosphere. La Nina is the ounterpart of El Nino. They're complementary haves of ENSO, the Southern Oscillation System.

La Niña events have been observed for hundreds of years, and occurred on a regular basis during the early parts of both the 17th and 19th centuries.[9] Since the start of the 20th century, La Niña events have occurred during the following years:[10][a]

Graph shows cooling past few years

12 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I'd say

Anyone with a shred of common sense.

Anyone that wants a modicum of personal choices.

Anyone that believes in freedom.

Anyone that wants a reliable grid.

Im amazed these alarmists can't read a graph. The graphs they post show cooling from 1940 to 1980, warming from 1980 to 2016, cooling from 2016 to 2022.

They whine about warming but ignore the cooling.

I wonder why.

I also wonder why they still use cars and planes.

16 minutes ago, bignok said:

Graph shows cooling past few years

What the graph actually shows is that 2016 was the year of a major El nNno. Just like this year is shaping up to be.  In major El Nino years, temperatures rise sharply. The same thing was said by denialists in the wake of the 1997-98

El Nino. That surface temperatures weren't as high as they were for that year therefore the climate was cooling. Now that anomalous year doesn't even rank in the top ten  for average highest temperature. In fact, we've had La Ninas over the past 9 years, in which the average temperature tends to be cooler, and they all had a higher average temperature than that El Nino year. 

• Like 1

Just now, placeholder said:

What the graph actually shows is that 2016 was the year of a major El nNno. Just like this year is shaping up to be.  In major El Nino years, temperatures rise sharply. The same thing was said by denialists in the wake of the 1997-98

El Nino. That surface temperatures weren't as high as they were for that year therefore the climate was cooling. Now that anomalous year doesn't even rank in the top ten  for average highest temperature. In fact, we've had La Ninas over the past 9 years, in which the average temperature tends to be cooler, and they all had a higher average temperature than that El Nino year. 

Yes cooling since 2016.

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

Welfare, free health care, state pensions are all left wing.

Unless they remove these, the government is left wing.

So the Tories are left-wing? Me stupid! And I guess Bismarck too?

On 7/22/2023 at 8:26 AM, Tug said:

Serious stuff hope we haven’t created our own extinction 

of course we have.

but either way, entropy is invetable, we are just hurrying another cataclysmic event along

21 minutes ago, bignok said:

Yes cooling since 2016.

You clearly don't understand the concept trends. If you start your baseline with an anomalous year, then sure, it's going to show cooling for a while. But as I pointed out,, and apparently to no avail, a similar event occurred in 1997-98, And denialists were claiming that it showed global warming wasn't a real thing. Now, that year, hot as it was, does not even rank in the top 10.

Did global warming stop in 1998?

No, but thanks to natural variability, volcanic eruptions, and relatively low solar activity, the rate of average global surface warming from 1998-2012 was slower than it had been for two to three decades leading up to it.

How much slower depends on the fine print: which global temperature dataset you look at, whether it includes the Arctic, and the exact time periods you compare. Regardless, the big picture of long-term global warming remained unchanged.

image.png.6d97dbb3a2c172394f97f99a898d99f5.png

https://www.climate.gov/news-features/climate-qa/did-global-warming-stop-1998

Why 2023 is shaping up to be the hottest year on record

Spiking temperatures in the world’s oceans and the arrival of El Niño weather conditions in the Pacific mean that 2023 is shaping up to be the hottest year on record, with researchers saying the planet is entering “uncharted territory”.
The previous hottest year on record was 2016, which is also when the world was last in a warming El Niño weather pattern (although some agencies say 2020 also tied for the top spot). Now, temperature records this month suggest 2023 could be tracking close to 2016.

• Thanks 2

Shell, Exxon and BP are all backing away from the goals to reduce carbon they once trumpeted as they made record profits last year. It is all about money, so tax them more for not driving the switch to alternative energy.

5 minutes ago, Purdey said:

Shell, Exxon and BP are all backing away from the goals to reduce carbon they once trumpeted as they made record profits last year. It is all about money, so tax them more for not driving the switch to alternative energy.

Why not just increase the tax on the people that buy it? 

27 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Welfare, free health care, state pensions are all left wing.

Unless they remove these, the government is left wing.

You mean no matter how much they slash and mutilate these programs, no matter how much the Tories expand private care, as long as these programs exist, the govt. is left wing? You really want to go with that?

24 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Look at the profits oil companies made and the profits of a Line motorcycle messenger I guess. ???? 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

How about something called a carbon tax? This was actually a plan created by political conservatives as a way to use market forces to reduce greenhouse gas emissions. Of course, that plan was created by conservatives adopted an attitude that has been technically described as "Science, shmience."

48 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I agree

Made a lot of idiotic, unsupported claims, but I don't remember that "...the UK government was right-wing..." was one of them. 

I made the claim that right-wing governments, outside the U.S., often supported environmental policies, a claim you found idiotic. 

On 7/22/2023 at 9:31 PM, swissie said:

As long as the main CO2 producers (China, India, Russia, US) don't take draconian measures, the efforts of the rest of the world remain exercises in futility.

I'm not very optimistic in this regard, but I hope that scientists will find a way, 'last minute', to "suck" CO2 out of the atmosphere, thereby cooling it down...

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Do you have anything that supports your nonsense? 

Don’t be daft; politics in the United States (and elsewhere) runs on corporate money. Somebody mentioned Scott Pruitt earlier; when he was attorney general of Oklahoma, fossil fuel industries fed him $215,000, and he sued the EPA at least fourteen times. When Trump won the presidency, he made Pruitt head of the EPA. Such information is available everywhere.

• Like 1