SoyBean Milk: Are there neighborhood SoyBean-milk producers in Thailand? Do you enjoy SoyBean Milk? And, where do you obtain it?

GammaGlobulin

My recollection of neighborhood soybean-milk production and consumption dates back to 1980 in Taiwan

Years ago, it was possible to find small soybean "factories" in many neighborhoods of Taiwan.

These factories produced processed soybean products, such as bean-curd skin, bean-curd, bean milk, and much more, from cheap soybeans.

These products were healthful and high in protein.

In the early mornings, I would go across the street to the bean-curd factory and buy FIVE Liters of soybean milk for about 10 Baht equivalent, around NTD10.00.

Anyone could just brink a large water kettle and fill it up.

The bean-curd milk was not worth much to the factory, as the bean milk was what the lighter liquid left over from the bean-curd production process which used, I guess, the heavier solids to make bean curd and bean-curd "noodles".

Since coming to Thailand, I miss that experience of getting up so early to fill up my kettle to the brim, for almost free.

The nice thing about that milk was that nothing was added, no sugar and no preservatives.

Does Thailand still have any of these bean curd factories that allow people in the neighborhoods to walk in early in the morning to buy so cheaply almost as much bean milk as they can drink in a week?

As far as I know, bean milk is very nutritious.

And, its low cost makes it a good choice for those on a tight budget.

Making bean milk at home is super laborious because one must use a cheese cloth to squeeze the milk from the fiber of the boiling soybean "soup".

Here, in this fantastic video produced by some guys in Taiwan, you can see, at the beginning of the video, the boiling-hot liquid from the bean early in the production process.

The guys on this channel do amazing work, IMHO.

Enjoy the video, and, have you ever seen something like this on offer in Thailand.

Bean curd seems to be far more popular in China than in Thailand.

Enjoy.

• Like 1

Many sellers of the Thai breakfast donut "Patangko" also make Nam Tahu or soy milk, you can have it with the beans or without. Every 7/11 and supermarket also sell it. Seems a strange question if you have lived here for any length of time. 

Just now, marin said:

Many sellers of the Thai breakfast donut "Patangko" also make Nam Tahu or soy milk, you can have it with the beans or without. Every 7/11 and supermarket also sell it. Seems a strange question if you have lived here for any length of time. 

Actually, the products that you mention sold by SEVEN or the donut places are much different than what one gets by going to a "bean-curd" factory. What you get at a bean-curd factory is quite thick in consistency, with much more of the fiber of the bean.

The taste is completely different.

4 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Many sellers of the Thai breakfast donut "Patangko" also make Nam Tahu or soy milk, you can have it with the beans or without

For the second time. I will add its served warm. 

31 minutes ago, marin said:

For the second time. I will add its served warm. 

DouJiang (Chinese name for soybean milk) is good warm, hot, or over ice, in fact, in summer months during the Hot Season.

(Unlike revenge, which is a dish more satisfying served cold.)

4 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Are you on some health food kick, GG? First peanuts, now soy milk.

I miss my good old days when I could purchase FIVE liters of HIGH QUALITY bean milk for just 5 or 10 NTD (about 10 Baht)....just by walking two minutes, across the road.

1 minute ago, GammaGlobulin said:

DouJiang (Chinese name for soybean milk) is good warm, hot, or over ice, in fact, in summer months during the Hot Season.

(Unlike revenge, which is a dish more satisfying served cold.)

Be easier to get if you use the Thai name Nam Tahu. ???? Works for me a couple times a month when I get a craving for patangko. 

Also, can anyone find a link to the "Hu Shi" article in the 'Chinese Recorder', (Feb. 1927): 113-116, in which HuShi stated that the soybean is the Chinese steak.

It's a rather famous quote that I read about 40 years ago.

Wish I could read this article just one more time!

1 hour ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Also, can anyone find a link to the "Hu Shi" article in the 'Chinese Recorder', (Feb. 1927): 113-116, in which HuShi stated that the soybean is the Chinese steak.

It's a rather famous quote that I read about 40 years ago.

Wish I could read this article just one more time!

Mission Periodicals Online: Chinese Recorder

https://guides.library.yale.edu/c.php?g=296315&p=1976867

1 hour ago, NoDisplayName said:

Mission Periodicals Online: Chinese Recorder

https://guides.library.yale.edu/c.php?g=296315&p=1976867

Nice Find!

The only problem, if one wished to actually READ the 1927 volume is this:

image.png.56e0b5a811eaf6eca37de34fc58d8209.png

(I could probably read this through the uni library, but I haven't used the privileges in a while.  Sad really, that so much good stuff is locked up by the Keepers Of The Knowledge....SICKENING, even!)

3 hours ago, marin said:

We have couple of places selling, Nam-Dow-Hoo, soya milk,in the morning and one guy does a good trade selling in the evening, they are normally a hand cart selling  it ,you can tell by the Bar-Tong-Goor, fried doe, stacked up at the front of the stall .

Try the Nam-King, ginger drink that is nice, but do not let them put any sugar in, just too sweet same as the soya milk. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, kickstart said:

We have couple of places selling, Nam-Dow-Hoo, soya milk,in the morning and one guy does a good trade selling in the evening, they are normally a hand cart selling  it ,you can tell by the Bar-Tong-Goor, fried doe, stacked up at the front of the stall .

Try the Nam-King, ginger drink that is nice, but do not let them put any sugar in, just too sweet same as the soya milk. 

Most of the Thai soya milk has sugar added.  Also, it seems to be very watered down.

Or, they make it salty by adding salt, which is equally unacceptable. 

4 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Most of the Thai soya milk has sugar added.  Also, it seems to be very watered down.

Or, they make it salty by adding salt, which is equally unacceptable. 

That is Thailand for you, nearly everything has sugar and salt in it, I always say Mi-Si-Num-Tung-Si, no sugar.