Cost of death in a village in Buriram

Sandboxer

21 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

I have a piece of string here. I'll ask my wife how long it is.

I'd suggest the OP does the same with regards to the projected funeral costs. There's no common ground and many variables to consider.

One thing you must do, is place, say 2000 baht in a white envelope, and pass it to the deceaseds wife at an evening prayer session, making sure that people see the gesture.

• Like 1

In our large village, 400 + houses, each household is supposed to donate 100 baht to each funeral.  That helps offset the costs.  

If you don't provide alcohol, we didn't, prices for a funeral drop dramatically.  Also you don't have the town drunks coming and being idiots.

30,000-50,000 should cover it after donations. 

• Love It 1

I would chip in 5,000 baht and that's the end of it.

You said they ain't skint, there are various ' pools of money ' that people donate through their lives towards their funerals in the villages and then there will be the envelope donations etc.

You are acknowledging and contributing without playing ' billy big boots ' or a fool.

Total costs should not exceed 50,000 baht for a reasonable village send off without being too flash but doing it properly.

They are pretty much like weddings in the money respect, it's like how far do you want to go!

Edited by Scouse123
  • Like 2

Since I was working abroad when funerals were due my, wife gave some donations.

The two funerals I participated was with beer (For me) and Lao Khao for the Thais.

One Family had a tailorshop and paid all themselfes and the other Family was pi** poor.

We borrowed them 35.000 which we afterwards donated because they would never have been able to pay us back..

I pulled the wallet a few times for Beer and Lao Khao because the visitors are coming pretty randomly and my wife (as Mia Farang expected) gave a little handout to some of the Villager's Family members so I can round that one up to 50k in total, which included the 7 meter long chimney of the Temple crematorium, that was blewn off during the rainseason before..  

(The Chimney was my own decision, if I end up there I want a proper launch with max acceleration) 

To say that the village has not more than 10 houses and must be called Rigor Mortis.

There is barely somebody under 60 Years of age, so I guess the envelopes were filled with Thai Green Bucks (20 bahts)

• Haha 1

On 7/23/2023 at 3:48 PM, Ralf001 said:
On 7/23/2023 at 1:48 PM, KannikaP said:

Are you saying that your Thai GF also has a husband AND a boyfriend?

I read his post as saying he has a Thai GF AND a Thai BF.

2 hours ago, kennw said:

Dont apply western logic, use Thai thinking, you bought two houses, and still there ? obviously the well is not dry yet.

The joke/sarcasm went so far over your heads that if your turned around now and tied to chase it down there's no way you'd catch up.????

• Haha 1

My Wife just said, that the Temple is free, but the funeral costs depend on the flowers/decorations and coffin used. as well as the expenses for the food each night. Usually people in the village help sponsor/pay for the expenses each night. After the cremation, the family make a donation to the temple to help cover the cost of the water/gas /electricity used for the nightly food.

Every one in the village contributes in some way usually, as they know that when their turn comes, some of the costs will be covered. 

My Brother inlaw used to have a reasonable business supplying coffins, and decorating the funeral area. Part of the duties was collecting the deceased from the home/hospital and seeing that the arrangements were handled with dignity..

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Sandboxer said:

About 400 people in total showed up says gf. I still haven't been asked but I've put 50k in an envelope and hand it to mum or dad later tonight. I really liked the guy so don't mind at all....

Quite a nice show, actually....

image.png.51d7f0d08044cbdcd8f85387f59add93.png

Nice send off and a nice gesture from yourself.

But 400-odd?! I guess that's because he was so young, still had family and friends and friends of family and friends of friends, etc., etc..

I guess that's the benefit of popping one's clogs when in one's twilight years in that there's not too many rels and friends left either.

• Like 2

On 7/22/2023 at 6:22 PM, sungod said:

I am puzzled too, did they get a house each (the husband and the boyfriend) , or is he insinuating the husband now has a boyfriend?

Well obviously he stated he bought them both each a house. That’s quite the payoff in order to get the girl. Maybe the husband and boyfriend are together, maybe the 4 of them are all together and one big happy quadruple. Really none of my business though, so I’ll just leave it at that. ????

Edited by novacova

6 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

I would chip in 5,000 baht and that's the end of it.

You said they ain't skint, there are various ' pools of money ' that people donate through their lives towards their funerals in the villages and then there will be the envelope donations etc.

You are acknowledging and contributing without playing ' billy big boots ' or a fool.

Total costs should not exceed 50,000 baht for a reasonable village send off without being too flash but doing it properly.

They are pretty much like weddings in the money respect, it's like how far do you want to go!

4 members of my Mrs family have died since I've been with her, each time I just slotted them 5,000 baht.must be a scouse thing ..

• Haha 1

When you're dead….ur dead.  Gone, end of story.

Funerals are for live people, not dead people.   The dead don’t  know or care they are dead.  Paying respect is for the live people, not the deceased.  The deceased don’t care…they are dead.

The POMP in Births, Weddings and Funerals is all about the influence that politics and preachers use the control the populations.   Ironically, each can be accomplished without it.

I’ve told me lady when I croak-off to melt me down, take the ashes, stuff in a douche-bag and run me through one more time.

When you're dead….ur dead.  Gone, end of story.

52 minutes ago, novacova said:

Well obviously he stated he bought them both each a house. That’s quite the payoff in order to get the girl. Maybe the husband and boyfriend are together, maybe the 4 of them are all together and one big happy quadruple. Really none of my business though, so I’ll just leave it at that. ????

Aye caramba, it was a joke/sarcasm!!!! ????

• Haha 1

On 7/22/2023 at 5:38 PM, Sandboxer said:

Thank you gentlemen, that gives me a much better idea of what they're dealing with. The cremation will be on the 3rd day.

I haven't been hit up by gf for any contribution but feel somewhat compelled to pitch in even though they don't really need my money (but it's not like they're loaded so I think any extra help is appreciated?). The guy was the first male in the family to really warm up to me once he realized I'm not a douche (well....y'all can debate that later) and I truly liked him.

The neighbors who come to the feast will chip in, but since it's Buriram they won't be able to give much. Most will put a ฿20 bill in an envelope. I'd guess they'll be spending around ฿50,000. Very sorry to hear about such an early death. It would be kind of you to put a couple of thousand baht in an envelope and give it to them if you go to the feast. And you might want to ask your girl friend.

• Thumbs Up 1

I kicked started my wife's mother's funeral with 20,000 baht.  After the first day the donations kept it going 4 more days. The cremation day was the biggest payday. Set back and just let it happen.  The less you are involved the better. As this is your girlfriend's family,  If by chance you are asked to donate more it's only for show. The look at us, we are highso. The funeral will proceed with or without a big show of importance on the family's part. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/22/2023 at 5:52 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

There are no clear rules.

Some families spend little, some want to have a big and long party. 

IMHO you should contribute, but you don't have to be the big spender.

Sometimes part of the cost is also covered by some kind of death insurance which many Thais seem to have.

In Thai villages there is usually a death insurance that they pay into monthly, sometimes only 30 baht or so but it provides the basic cost of the village temple funeral.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, NORDO said:

The deceased don’t care…they are dead.

Thai's care cause they are into this recycling thing.

Bad juju cheaping out on the funeral....person might recycle as a ghost and not a buffalo.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Sandboxer said:
13 hours ago, novacova said:

Aye caramba, it was a joke/sarcasm!!!! ????

AseanNow... Realm of the gullible and home of the cyber curtain twitcher.

8 hours ago, Andycoops said:

In Thai villages there is usually a death insurance that they pay into monthly, sometimes only 30 baht or so but it provides the basic cost of the village temple funeral.

Good point. Another little known farang wallet saver.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, Andycoops said:

Farang can pay in as well. My name has been on the village list for 18+ years of my 22 years in this village. My wife paid 500 baht 'Entry' fee for me to join. The charge per funeral is 20 baht  here  (Household= 20 baht x 4 pax=80 baht). The fund is currently about 60,000 baht on death. I understand there are no fixed rules and each village can decide (Pooyai Baan) on farang entry to the fund.  

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, rbkk said:

Farang can pay in as well. My name has been on the village list for 18+ years of my 22 years in this village. My wife paid 500 baht 'Entry' fee for me to join. The charge per funeral is 20 baht  here  (Household= 20 baht x 4 pax=80 baht). The fund is currently about 60,000 baht on death. I understand there are no fixed rules and each village can decide (Pooyai Baan) on farang entry to the fund.  

Great scheme! 

On 7/23/2023 at 3:35 PM, KannikaP said:

My Mrs (I) has been paying Bht 1000 per month for about 8 years towards one of her sister's funerals. That's 96000 BAHT. She will get Bht 60000 when sister dies. If she stops paying.....gets NOWT! 

My wife was a licensed ThaiLife Insurance agent. She has various policies that are available to all. She is 45 years old. She pays (Not me!) 3.300 baht per 6 months which covers her for 200,000 baht upon death. 1,690 baht per 6 months for 1,000 baht per night in hospital. She also pays for an extra policy (1,585 per 6 months) to boost the daily hospital stay rate to 3,000 baht per night and this includes 1,000,000 baht for a cancer diagnosis. That's 13,150 baht per year. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rbkk said:

My wife was a licensed ThaiLife Insurance agent. She has various policies that are available to all. She is 45 years old. She pays (Not me!) 3.300 baht per 6 months which covers her for 200,000 baht upon death. 1,690 baht per 6 months for 1,000 baht per night in hospital. She also pays for an extra policy (1,585 per 6 months) to boost the daily hospital stay rate to 3,000 baht per night and this includes 1,000,000 baht for a cancer diagnosis. That's 13,150 baht per year. 

Thanks for the info. My Mrs deals with our local ThaiLife agent. Up to now, as far as I know, she only has two Life Insurance plans with them (for her Uncle and myself). ThaiLife paid out without difficulty when her Mother died last year. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, rbkk said:

Yes, same for me, still paying, in our village 30 baht, despite not still residing there. The fund is a very good idea, helps the bereaved.

• Thanks 1