Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Exorbitant payment processing fees for AirAsia flights

omnipresent

3 hours ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

I have had to book a few flights for my girlfriend and I normally find the domestic flights end up cheaper on Thai Smile or Thai Airways - same company of course - once you factor in fees and luggage. Better not to go to Don Muang too if possible. Maybe it was an oddity. 

Interesting but I will never ever take another flight on either airline. 

In the era when TG was getting a very large number of complaints re their service, their attitude, their laziness, their lack of concern for passengers needing help was totally awful.  

After a disgraceful incident with my 18 yo Thai son, both flying Biz class I never again used them and I cancelled the contract we had through a big travel company. We then signed a good deal and had excellent service fom Singapore Airlines.

1 hour ago, Brickleberry said:

What are you talking about?

Lion air are renowned for having a 10kg free luggage allowance for domestic flights, plus 7kg cabin. This increases to 20kg for international flights. 

7kg is standard for cabin baggage. All Thai airlines (including Air Asia) follow this rule. Lion Air is hands down the best airline operator for price, ease of booking and fairness of fees.

Rubbish

1 hour ago, Brickleberry said:

What are you talking about?

Lion air are renowned for having a 10kg free luggage allowance for domestic flights, plus 7kg cabin. This increases to 20kg for international flights. 

7kg is standard for cabin baggage. All Thai airlines (including Air Asia) follow this rule. Lion Air is hands down the best airline operator for price, ease of booking and fairness of fees.

AA allows 56cm, Lion 40cm. 40cm is tiny.

Screenshot_20230723-192922_Brave.jpg

Edited by bignok

1 hour ago, Burma Bill said:

Maybe so, but you have the option to discard the add-ons when making your booking e.g.

Choice of seat - delete

Book a meal - delete

Travel Insurance - delete

Baggage in hold - delete

- the fare decreases accordingly and then, with respect, compare with Nok Air.

For reference: 

Only Thai Air Asia, Malay Air Asia and Bangkok Airways serve Siem Reap in Cambodia.  Nok Air has no flights to Cambodia.  

Nok canned lots of routes in Thailand due to covid

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

It's getting expensive in general, for chiang mai khon kaen there is barely flights nowadays too and easily cost 2K one way... Bangkok still for 1K easily (dozens of flights).

1000 baht daily flights

Screenshot_20230723-193359_airasia.jpg

5 minutes ago, bignok said:

1000 baht daily flights

Screenshot_20230723-193359_airasia.jpg

Yeah in August 17. Anything is cheaper if you book upfront, not looking for my 1/3 trips out of prison a year. I fly often and last minute or a week before I know it at most, this never was an issue but changed recently, luckily it is totally fine for BKK.

Same for the wife and kid, that's 2 tickets one way, usually last minutes, with all these old people dying unexpectedly, or getting sick, or another wedding, or another person this and that.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

1 minute ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Yeah in August 17. Anything is cheaper if you book upfront, not looking for my 1/3 trips out of prison a year. I fly often and last minute or a week before I know it at most, this never was an issue but changed recently, luckily it is totally fine for BKK.

Why not plan ahead. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, JimGant said:

No they don't -- in fact, they don't charge for checked baggage, unless you actually have checked baggage. Unlike Nok, whose charge includes a checked 15 kg bag, whether or not you actually check one. And, this shows up with the difference in fares, with Nok charging about 400 bt more, on average, for flts between CNX and DMG.

But, why argue nitnoy fares akin to bus fares -- flying domestic in Thailand, whatever airline's fare, is a waste of time, when you compare these fares to flying back to the West, especially in Business Class (mandatory for arthritic geezers). Airline competition keeps a friendly availability schedule, particularly between DMG and CNX. And competition keeps prices, well, competitive. So, seems meaningless to cry over Thai domestic airline fares.....

I do agree. They are reasonable. It is shocking what some people are paying for domestic fares back in the US now. 

I find premium economy on EVA to be quite comfortable. Granted it is not business class, lay flat pod seating. But, it is half the price. And I fly often. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, bignok said:

AA cheaper than Lion promo

Screenshot_20230723-192321_airasia.jpg

Air Asia is NOT cheaper. Air Asia are the dirtiest and add in ALL the fees later - payment processing, fuel duty etc. Expect your final ticket price to be at least 30% higher. Lion air is the opposite. Same price you see on the first page is what you will pay

15 minutes ago, Brickleberry said:

Air Asia is NOT cheaper. Air Asia are the dirtiest and add in ALL the fees later - payment processing, fuel duty etc. Expect your final ticket price to be at least 30% higher. Lion air is the opposite. Same price you see on the first page is what you will pay

Not true. No fuel duty. Only booking fee 107 baht.

Yesterday bought a ticket to fly udon thani to bkk.

Price advertised 1100 baht.

Proceed with the booking there are all the addons, insurance box is already ticked which one could opt out, all other things do not need. Proceed to finalise the booking there is a payment fee 107 baht for air asia. Finalise the booking the booking form shows that an additional payment fee 30 baht for 7 eleven.

All in all a 1100 baht flight is now 1350 baht which is almost 23% more costly.

On 7/23/2023 at 11:47 AM, bignok said:

Pp is per person. Common travel lingo. Been around for 50 years.

Processing fees. Card or 7/11 is same

So what does the "processing fee" entail. ? Probably just a computer key stroke. The point the writer is making it just seems to be a money grab and an unethical practice. Those who dont care contribute to this practice. 

• Like 1

On 7/23/2023 at 12:11 PM, bignok said:

Passport means passport. PP is often used by western hotels. Amazed a farang doesnt know this.

I have booked accommodations in western hotels since 1988.  I do not recall ever hearing that term used during the booking process.   

8 minutes ago, radiochaser said:

I have booked accommodations in western hotels since 1988.  I do not recall ever hearing that term used during the booking process.   

Marketing term used in all travel agent brochures.

• Like 1

On 7/23/2023 at 12:29 PM, KannikaP said:

Of course I have, and never saw the word 'Pp' , meaning per person, at any of them. 

pp as in per person has been around for decades. It is also used for passport, that is correct.

As with everything with language, it depends on the context. When you're talking pricing for tickets, tours, hotels etc it obviously means per person and not passport (you could actually extend that to per passport (holder) lol)

On 7/23/2023 at 12:50 PM, Fat is a type of crazy said:

I have had to book a few flights for my girlfriend and I normally find the domestic flights end up cheaper on Thai Smile or Thai Airways - same company of course - once you factor in fees and luggage. Better not to go to Don Muang too if possible. Maybe it was an oddity. 

The day when Air Asia announced many years ago that they were relocating their BKK base from BKK  to DMK is when the airline died for me as a potential choice. DMK is too inconvenient for me. I'd rather pay whatever potentially higher fee is involved.

• Like 1

On 7/23/2023 at 2:54 PM, JimGant said:

No they don't -- in fact, they don't charge for checked baggage, unless you actually have checked baggage. Unlike Nok, whose charge includes a checked 15 kg bag, whether or not you actually check one. And, this shows up with the difference in fares, with Nok charging about 400 bt more, on average, for flts between CNX and DMG.

Great. Nok gives you flexibility. With Air Asia you need to commit 5 weeks ahead if you might want checked baggage or not. If you go for carry-on only, and you make some purchaes at your destination, you will get stung big time on the rt sector upon check-in.

5 minutes ago, Umlungu said:

Great. Nok gives you flexibility. With Air Asia you need to commit 5 weeks ahead if you might want checked baggage or not. If you go for carry-on only, and you make some purchaes at your destination, you will get stung big time on the rt sector upon check-in.

Not true. You can add baggage online a day before.