16th retirement extension Non-O but Thai wife has spent my 800k.

On 7/24/2023 at 11:37 AM, lopburi3 said:

exit every 90 days

When one exits on this visa can one just turn around at a land border such as the one at the Savanakhet Friendship bridge and return, getting another 90 day stamp? . Or is it wise to actually enter Laos and stay a night or two? If one flies out to a nearby country can you fly straight back the same day and get another 90 day stamp? If either is possible, how many times before eyebrows are raised or a refusal without at least a few days outside Thailand?

8 minutes ago, thinktoomuch said:

Why would you be telling the OP to forgive his wife and stay with her but be telling others who were questioning that advice that they shouldn't still be married to a wife they couldn't trust?

Edit: I said, "Your posts are contradictory," at the start of my previous post and they are.

Why not answer my simple question"

Was I addressing the OP twice or the OP and another poster?

11 minutes ago, Kalasin Jo said:

When one exits on this visa can one just turn around at a land border such as the one at the Savanakhet Friendship bridge and return, getting another 90 day stamp? . Or is it wise to actually enter Laos and stay a night or two? If one flies out to a nearby country can you fly straight back the same day and get another 90 day stamp? If either is possible, how many times before eyebrows are raised or a refusal without at least a few days outside Thailand?

In the past some people did this for many  years before being told to get the proper visa at the airport (and in all cases I heard about still being admitted to the country by the IO who told them).

Nowadays, I don't know.

Unless someone else can help you with current information my suggestion would be to use land borders after the first few 90 day stamps, so you can just walk back to the other country if they deny you.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, thinktoomuch said:

I don't know who you were addressing and it doesn't really matter. My point should have been clear to you by now: Your posts are contradictory.

From my first post:

The OP can clearly no longer trust his wife so why would you be advising him to forgive and stay with his wife while telling others that they shouldn't stay married to their wives if they don't trust them?

Why the contradictory advice?

If you don't know who I was addressing, and according to you it doesn't matter anyway, why are you still asking the same question and yet not answering mine.

If you don't like or understand my posts just skip my posts completely or put me on ignore. I promise I won't cry or throw my toys out of the pram.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Kalasin Jo said:

Have not done for several decades but some land crossings will want at least an entry/exit stamp for other country or may say next day.  This can normally be overcome using an agent.  For air travel should also have entry/exit stamps but do not believe anyone has issue doing same day.  That said many enjoy a few days of freedom every 3 months or take wife for vacation.  There is nothing wrong is such visa usage and some use long term.

On 7/24/2023 at 10:51 AM, DrJack54 said:
On 7/24/2023 at 10:37 AM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I think you might consider the fact that a lot of expats move to Thailand because they have limited funds/savings available for various reasons, and because Thailand can be more affordable than their original home countries... Thus many don't have extra 800,000Ks lying around...

Ridiculous post.

If you have "limited funds" you do not move to a foreign country. 

If one has unlimited fund he does not move to Thailand. How many American billionaires have moved to Thailand? In contrast, there are a few who moved to New Zealand, Singapore, etc. If one has unlimited fund, he does not need to move. He can move around the World in this private plane. How many Youtube bloggers are posting videos of  luxurious lifestyle in Thailand? In contrast, I see all of them are promoting 5K rental and 50 baht lunch as if they have discovered a gold mine in Thailand.

Edited by CartagenaWarlock
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, billd766 said:

If you don't know who I was addressing, and according to you it doesn't matter anyway, why are you still asking the same question and yet not answering mine.

If you don't like or understand my posts just skip my posts completely or put me on ignore. I promise I won't cry or throw my toys out of the pram.

I did answer your question. "I don't know," is an answer to your question. Perhaps you didn't realise that but it is.

I notice though, that you didn't answer any of the questions I asked you in my last three posts.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

If one has unlimited fund he does not move to Thailand. How many American billionaires have moved to Thailand? In contrast, there are a few who moved to New Zealand, Singapore, etc. If one has unlimited fund, he does not need to move. He can move around the World in this private plane. How many Youtube bloggers are posting videos of  luxurious lifestyle in Thailand? In contrast, I see all of them are promoting 5K rental and 50 baht lunch as if they have discovered a gold mine in Thailand.

What a braindead post. No point to it, just a bitter rant.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

Don't understand any of your posts in any thread 

@Albaby summed it up perfectly.

"What a braindead post. No point to it, just a bitter rant."

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

42 minutes ago, whereyougo said:

Why do people marry a Thai, for what reason, surely no for sex. So IS it to hold hands? Thai wife rarely brings anything to the table 

Please enlighten us to your "brings nothing to table" rhetoric. What do you bring to the "table" other than money? And please don't post about your smarts, it's a lost cause.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Kalasin Jo said:

At a land crossing, you must actually enter the other country before returning to Thailand. At some crossings (notably all those with Laos and Myanmar) you can turn around and return immediately. At others, you are supposed to stay at least one night, but can often pay a bribe to be allowed to return the same day.

By air, you also should enter the other country officially before returning to Thailand. However, when faced with a late arrival of my flight from Thailand (and worried I would miss my booked return flight) I have gone through the line for connecting flights, and returned to Bangkok without being hauled up for this. I think it is not supposed to be allowed, but is tolerated in practice.

If you have a multiple entry Non O visa, you should have no problems using this an unlimited number of times without gaps in between. The only exception is when using the rogue land crossing from Poipet to Aranyaprathet. With a multiple entry tourist visa, it is prudent to enter by land (not at Poipet/Aran, of course). Although I recall no recent reports, historically, there have been some denied entries at some airports where the immigration officials disagreed with an embassy's decision to issue you a tourist visa.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/24/2023 at 9:20 PM, Vatman said:

We live in small village, 200 miles north of Bangkok. Bank is SCB. I can't sack the wife as she owns the house we live in that we built 28 years ago & besides she's been 100% until this. The Covids killed so many businesses here & money is scarce now in the village. I'll travel to the Pattaya agent if I can get this sorted.

Agent probably best bet, one of my friends wife sold his house behind his back he's near 80,really knocked him around, be careful my friend, I was very surprised my wife got access to my BK account just talked to them and they showed her balance, luckily no money taken 

On 7/24/2023 at 11:52 PM, JensenZ said:

There is a compulsory insurance requirement. My (foreign) wife had to pay insurance when opening K-Bank accounts several years ago. An Aussie friend had to pay this in Pattaya last week.

It was not an optional payment, for incentive. It was requested as necessary to open the accounts.

only at some banks but not all.

11 minutes ago, Dan O said:

only at some banks but not all.

You could help out and mention which banks don't require insurance payments, because many banks in Pattaya do, and all the ones I've been to. (Bangkok & Kasikorn). Personally I don't think 2500 baht for some insurance is a big problem and shopping around to save it would be a waste of time... but for the people who don't want to pay it, help them out.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, JensenZ said:

You could help out and mention which banks don't require insurance payments, because many banks in Pattaya do, and all the ones I've been to. (Bangkok & Kasikorn). Personally I don't think 2500 baht for some insurance is a big problem and shopping around to save it would be a waste of time... but for the people who don't want to pay it, help them out.

I can just relate my own experience even if one know- it- all claims on the forum didn't happen. In Nov 2022 I opened a bank account while on a visa exempt at Krungsri and without a Cert of Residency. They showed me a sheet that had insurance availble but never asked me to buy it, just if I "ever needed". I live in Nakhon Si Thammarat .  I also know several others that did the same last year in a variety of provinces around Thailand. Most banks now wont open an acct while on a tourist visa and without a C of R due to the Chinese fiasco with grey businesses and mule bank accounts.

The insurance is just a scheme that was invented by the banks as a way to generate revenue from commissions and isnt a real requirement legally. They only way to find out is to shop around and the chances are higher outside BKK.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/24/2023 at 5:52 PM, DrJack54 said:

1. Apply for a 60 day extension to visit wife. 

2. Deposit 400k into your bank account.

3. Organize the docs required for proof of marriage etc.

4. Obtain the extension based on marriage.

You can use the funds once the extension is approved. 

Much harder than a retirement extension and it eliminates the option in the future of using an agent. Thai Visa will do the extension via EMS and you can use any bank.

On 7/24/2023 at 3:52 PM, Vatman said:

My Thai wife, we've been married 26 years, yesterday told me she has spent my 800k keeping her restaurant going. What can I do?

Divorce her asap

• Sad 2
  • Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

23 minutes ago, jaywalker2 said:

Much harder than a retirement extension and it eliminates the option in the future of using an agent. Thai Visa will do the extension via EMS and you can use any bank.

Actually other than requiring two visits and a few more items it is the same process and not that hard to do as long as wife is healthy and available.  Why would anyone want to risk gray methods for extension of stay when they are qualified for fully legal processing?

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, jaywalker2 said:

There are many solutions for the OP.

I mentioned agent in earlier post.

If the OP want to continue with based on retirement he could do a border bounce without a reentry permit to "kill off" his non O.

Reenter visa exempt and obtain a new non O retirement and using TM87 then obtain subsequent extension. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JensenZ said:

Banks are businesses and if I go into a bank to open an account, and I'm told I need to buy insurance in order to open an account, that is the requirement for me at that bank. It has nothing to do with legalities. It's that bank branch's policy. What are you going to do? Threaten legal action? The insurance was useful (can't remember how much it was as this was 4 years ago) as my wife had none at the time. It's not always a waste of money. Recently a friend paid 2500 at a Bangkok Bank branch.

I did mention in my last post that I'm in Pattaya and I'm sure banks in other towns and cities will have different policies. My wife did not need a residence certificate to open her K-Bank account. Just the Non-O visa.

I never said or implied banks are not business. For a bank to add on an arbitrary service and imply you have to pay for this service in order to open an acct may be their "requirement" but its not set as part of their regulatory requirements or even bank policy (you won't see on the list as a requirements) and is extreme predatory and less than honest. Its a money making opportunity thats forced on you purely for their own benefit and has absolutely nothing to do with a bank account.  If you choose to pay that fee thats up to you. 

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

There are many solutions for the OP.

I mentioned agent in earlier post.

If the OP want to continue with based on retirement he could do a border bounce without a reentry permit to "kill off" his non O.

Reenter visa exempt and obtain a new non O retirement and using TM87 then obtain subsequent extension. 

You'd need the 800,000 though and dealing with immigration is always an uncertain process.

• Confused 2

12 hours ago, bbko said:

Please enlighten us to your "brings nothing to table" rhetoric. What do you bring to the "table" other than money? And please don't post about your smarts, it's a lost cause.

Money ????. It's always about the money and sponsoring the family. Please don't start with the BS your one is different ????

On 7/25/2023 at 1:09 PM, Stevemercer said:

My wife once stole 200,000 Baht from my fixed term account (out of 400,000 I had there for my marriage extension. I think she hoped to replace it before the extension was due.

She took my fixed term bank book, passport and my forged signature on a withdrawal slip to the bank and convinced the staff I had authorised the transaction. She took it out in 4 lots of 50,000 Baht (at different branches). She tore out the page on the bankbook showing the transactions and new balance.

I checked my term deposit about 4 months before it was due and was astounded to find I was 200,000 Baht short. The bank staff managed to track down the original paperwork for the transaction done at that branch and it was obvious from some of the signatures that my wife was behind it.

Anyway, I managed to replace the money 2 months prior to the extension, although I took an unexpected financial hit. 

So if your wife or partner is determined they will always find a way to relieve you of your money. It's our job as husbands to try and safeguard our finances for our shared future. Sometimes it seems like the job of the wife is to spend as much money as soon as possible.

Are you two still living together?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/25/2023 at 1:09 PM, Stevemercer said:

So if your wife or partner is determined they will always find a way to relieve you of your money.

No. Other than the 65K+ baht  I transfer to Thailand every month -- most of which goes to her anyway -- all my funds remain in USofA in accounts to which she has zero access.

• Thumbs Up 1