16th retirement extension Non-O but Thai wife has spent my 800k.

OP, I hope you're able to get an extension.

For future extensions, maybe go with the monthly international transfers route, a little tricky to learn at first but less risk of losing a big chunk of money.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, Vatman said:

I'm up for my 16th annual extension of my Non-O based on retirement within a couple of weeks. Shock! Horror! My Thai wife, we've been married 26 years, yesterday told me she has spent my 800k keeping her restaurant going. What can I do? I'm 75, on UK passport.

Book your return ticket... sorry mate.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

800k is a lot to blow isn't it? hopefully it's not one of these romance scams you hear about, or gambling addiction, worth investigating 

Where the money went is immaterial... it's gone.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Henryford said:

I haven't read all 4 pages but with an ATM card it would take 30-40 days to withdraw 800k. He didn't notice ?

????

With my bank it is 100K -500K a day.

I don't understand your post or am I confused?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

????

With my bank it is 100K -500K a day.

I don't understand your post or am I confused?

A lot of cards have a limit of 20 000 to 30 000 Baht from ATM machines.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, KannikaP said:

You cannot use a joint account for Immigration extension purposes. It must be in your name only.

You can in Jomtien if you double the amount,  I don't care to go through all the nonsense each year.  

I keep a tight eye on the account plus she has her own money.  

Of course in this situation that isn't a agent is the best solution right now dealing with wife is another issue. 

Obviously from her action she value the restaurant more than the marriage.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, bigt3116 said:

Incorrect, the proviso being that if it is a joint account then the balance needs to be double, 800k marriage or 1.6 mil for being over 50

This is for foreign couples on retirement extension not Thai wife.

Or am I wrong?

12 minutes ago, Celsius said:

This is for foreign couples on retirement extension not Thai wife.

Or am I wrong?

You are wrong.  Although double 800k in joint foreign owned account might be accepted for two retirement extension of stays.

This is about one retirement and joint property laws of Thailand assuming only half of a joint account is yours.  So single name 800k but in past joint account with wife has been accepted at 1,600k. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Henryford said:

I haven't read all 4 pages but with an ATM card it would take 30-40 days to withdraw 800k. He didn't notice ?

It depends on the ATM card daily limit. The usual default is 50,000 baht which implies at least 16 days to pull 800,000 baht. However, you can be allowed a higher limit.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, BritTim said:

In my opinion, being a homeless beggar in San Francisco is not better than living in a 3,000 baht per month room, and eating street food in Thailand ... and those are sometimes the realistic alternatives. Of course, it is different if you are a national of a country with a strong social safety net, like the Scandinavian countries. 

Homeless beggars in San Fran, just like in my city of Toronto and more famously Vancouver are drug addicts who are on the streets by choice. They simply refuse to go to shelters and be fed. 

San Francisco, just like Toronto and vancouver are not the only places to live. A lot of cheap places in North America to settle. 

• Sad 3

Find an agent. They all work directly with bent immigration officials. They will provide all documentation for you and proof of deposit. Will cost you 10,000 to 30,000 baht, depending on what you need, and where you go. I have even been referred to these agents by immigration officials in the past. Or you can do it directly in the immigration office. Just tell them your issue, and ask for a "quote".

And in the future, check your account balances at least once a month. This kind of thing is beyond the pale.

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, BritTim said:

At the current time, there is no facial recognition or fingerprint check involved when an ATM card is used. Yes, drawing money from an account that is not yours is illegal, but ATM machines do not enforce that law.

So how did she get hold of his ATM card?  It still sounds dumb to me.  My 800K ATM card is not accessible to anyone but me, for very obvious reasons. 

18 hours ago, Vatman said:

I'm up for my 16th annual extension of my Non-O based on retirement within a couple of weeks. Shock! Horror! My Thai wife, we've been married 26 years, yesterday told me she has spent my 800k keeping her restaurant going. What can I do? I'm 75, on UK passport.

How could see as it is supposed to in your own name unless you gave her authority or card but if latter one would have been taking many withdrawals out!!

Edited by jwest10
spelling