16th retirement extension Non-O but Thai wife has spent my 800k.

On 7/24/2023 at 6:46 PM, Vatman said:

Dr Jack54 & Lopburi3.

Thank you for explicit advice.

I shall apply for a 60 day extension to visit wife.

Then go for extension based on marriage.

Not correct. I had a joint account with my wife for my extensions based on retirement a few times. The 800k must be minimum 1.6M.

You do realise that Thai Banks only guarantee one million Baht, will be covered if they fail? (Which happened in the 1990s).

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

On 7/24/2023 at 11:52 AM, DrJack54 said:

1. Apply for a 60 day extension to visit wife. 

2. Deposit 400k into your bank account.

3. Organize the docs required for proof of marriage etc.

4. Obtain the extension based on marriage.

You can use the funds once the extension is approved. 

I didn't know you can get an in country 60 day extension on the end of a 1 year retirement extension. What is needed to do this please? Might prove useful.

3 minutes ago, Kalasin Jo said:

I didn't know you can get an in country 60 day extension on the end of a 1 year retirement extension. What is needed to do this please? Might prove useful.

Marriage to a Thai living here.  Might also prove costly.

22 minutes ago, Kalasin Jo said:

This thread has several posts from ubonjoe regarding requirements 

https://aseannow.com/topic/1130123-re-60-day-extension-to-visit-your-wife/

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

If Thailand had Singapore or even Malaysian prices then how many us would still be here?

Even if the countries you mention were much cheaper than Thailand... I would choose Thailand every day of the week.

Would add Vietnam over those countries and that joint is cheaper than Thailand. 

On 7/24/2023 at 10:18 PM, DrJack54 said:

If that's the case then they should not be in Thailand in the first place.

Needs to run back to passport mummy land. 

So you are saying that if an expat 'lost' his 800k in the bank for some reason, they should be able to IMMEDIATELY replace it, or leave Thailand. 

The Immigration Law says that if your bank funds drop below the required balance FOR ONE MOMENT, then their Extension is invalidated. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/25/2023 at 10:04 PM, Gottfrid said:

Ok, how good they they have you. They would never have made it otherwise

...that they............Absolutely correct. She would never have had UK/European holidays, the kids would not have gone to high school/university, and the only time the 'whip is cracked' is when we get into SM in the bedroom!

6 hours ago, KannikaP said:

...that they............Absolutely correct. She would never have had UK/European holidays, the kids would not have gone to high school/university, and the only time the 'whip is cracked' is when we get into SM in the bedroom!

Yeah, but what a feeling it must be to be the big and respected male in the tribe.

1 minute ago, Gottfrid said:

Yeah, but what a feeling it must be to be the big and respected male in the tribe.

Maybe that's how your domestic situation is, and you feel like 'the Boss'

Far from mine.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, KannikaP said:

The Immigration Law says that if your bank funds drop below the required balance FOR ONE MOMENT, then their Extension is invalidated. 

I'm well aware of that.

I was referring to OP situation.

He would need to exit Thailand and obtain new non O retirement.

Either at a nearby consulate of at Thai immigration office.

My point was if he cannot come up with another 800k then homeland best option (or agent) 

For extensions the funds in bank are checked retrospectively.

And yes immigration is VERY strick on that. Carefully scrutinized..

Few times you completely misunderstand my posts.

Read carefully. 

On 7/25/2023 at 11:51 AM, billd766 said:

In reality you need more than 65,000 every month to allow for forex variations,

80,000 gives you a safety net. 

If you only get 65,100 a month and the forex rate drops against your currency, then depending on your IO you may not get your next extension.

If you transfer 65k pm Forex is irrelevant.....the same amount is received into the Thai bank every month. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

If you transfer 65k pm Forex is irrelevant.....the same amount is received into the Thai bank every month. 

As sending baht to Thailand is not cost effective (very poor exchange rate overseas) almost all will be subject to local baht exchange rate.  We do not transfer 65k - we transfer foreign currency for exchange.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

And if the 65,000 drops below that figure even for 1 month you may have a problem with your extension.

Also if your income is 65,100 and th forex rate drops you cannot send 65,000 as there may not be enough money in your UK account to stretch that extra.

65,000 baht is the bare minimum amount required, which is why, if you had read my post clearly, you would have seen that I pointed out that you need to send more than 65,000 baht every month as a safety factor.

The forex rate which changes daily is a vital factor in how much it will cost every month to maintain the bare minimum.

Edited by billd766
added extra text
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

As sending baht to Thailand is not cost effective (very poor exchange rate overseas) almost all will be subject to local baht exchange rate.  We do not transfer 65k - we transfer foreign currency for exchange.

I use Wise to transfer money and Wise gives me a better forex rate transferring THB than I get from the local banks.

1 minute ago, billd766 said:

I use Wise to transfer money and Wise gives me a better forex rate transferring THB than I get from the local banks.

They are paying money from a local baht account they own.  But yes indeed the exchange rate they use will be better than TT bank rates.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, billd766 said:

And if the 65,000 drops below that figure even for 1 month you may have a problem with your extension.

Also if your income is 65,100 and th forex rate drops you cannot send 65,000 as there may not be enough money in your UK account to stretch that extra.

65,000 baht is the bare minimum amount required, which is why, if you had read my post clearly, you would have seen that I pointed out that you need to send more than 65,000 baht every month as a safety factor.

The forex rate which changes daily is a vital factor in how much it will cost every month to maintain the bare minimum.

You do waffle on.....

You ONLY need 65k pm to satisfy Immigration requirements; I know several people who spend less than that and build a surplus.

Obviously you need an adequate amount of (say, Sterling) to make exactly 65k payments every month. 

I send around 200k p.m. but that is my personal circumstances  -  one payment of 65k for obvious identification purposes and other amounts as required........... Kasikorn Bank actually certified 2m Baht of payments (with at least 65k p.m.) for me and Jomtien were happy with that.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

you would have seen that I pointed out that you need to send more than 65,000 baht every month as a safety factor.

NO. You need to send the equivalent of 65k or 40k regardless of the exchange rate.

So easy on Wise. Sent 40k at 4am this morning, reason being long stay, from my THB balance. Cost Bht 31 and will be in my Bkk Bank as an International Transfer at 2pm. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, billd766 said:

I'm confused. If you send 65000 baht its already converted and forex exchange has no impact although fees deducted for transfer may. But if you send any other currency without checking the exchange rate first to make sure your total arriving funds meet the 65k threshold you could have a problem. Am I missing something  here?