Denied entry.

17 hours ago, BritTim said:

The weird thing is that, when he finally received his passport back, there was no denial stamp (and, equally strange, there was no charge for the stay in the detention room). All he received was a document given to him earlier that informed him that he was being denied entry. I have never before heard of exactly this set of circumstances. It is conceivable that, in the final analysis, this was a shadow denied entry, with no record in immigration's system. Unfortunately, there is no easy way to find out.

BTW the form said something like "wasn't intending to stay for purpose of visit"   in other words they was claiming i wasn't a tourist.   What's your take on that Tim?

Edited by paulikens

1 hour ago, paulikens said:

So, Had i until now.  As has been said many times on here its IO discretion whether to let you in or not.  I know they might have not done it lawfully but that wasn't the point, the point is it could happen to you.  So, I don't know what your point is?   Apart from some kind of gloating.  

I don't know, maybe you raised some red flags or something. Lots of people get questioned at the border, but only a tiny fraction get denied entry.

2 hours ago, paulikens said:

BTW the form said something like "wasn't intending to stay for purpose of visit"   in other words they was claiming i wasn't a tourist.   What's your take on that Tim?

Although I would be interested in seeing a scan of that document, if you would be so kind as to post it, I do not think it means much specifically. A final denial stamp gives an actual reason under Section 12 of the Immigration Act for the exclusion. The document you received may not state a lawful reason for denying you entry at all which could be a reason (maybe, no way of knowing) why you were eventually not officially denied entry at all;.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, JoseThailand said:

I don't know, maybe you raised some red flags or something. Lots of people get questioned at the border, but only a tiny fraction get denied entry.

Only a fraction encounter the wrong official at the wrong time. We were not there. Maybe, the OP did something to upset the official, but I do not get that impression. I think this event was pretty random. Some people get struck by lightning. It can happen through carelessness, but lightning can also strike out of a clear blue sky.

• Like 1

Just now, BritTim said:

Only a fraction encounter the wrong official at the wrong time. We were not there. Maybe, the OP did something to upset the official, but I do not get that impression. I think this event was pretty random. Some people get struck by lightning. It can happen through carelessness, but lightning can also strike out of a clear blue sky.

Well I'm a fairly unlucky person in general.  So, I definitely think it could be just getting the IO at the wrong time.  Or maybe immigration were just having a purge. 

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

Although I would be interested in seeing a scan of that document, if you would be so kind as to post it, I do not think it means much specifically. A final denial stamp gives an actual reason under Section 12 of the Immigration Act for the exclusion. The document you received may not state a lawful reason for denying you entry at all which could be a reason (maybe, no way of knowing) why you were eventually not officially denied entry at all;.

I just realized as well now my passport has nothing on it for the 2 days i was in detention room.  IE. i got stamped out of Malaysia wednesday and then went back to Malaysia Friday.  Obviously Phuket didn't stamp me in.  what happens there?   cuz if the Thailand immigration haven't even flagged it on my passport, It will look like i just disappeared for one day.   

Just now, paulikens said:

I just realized as well now my passport has nothing on it for the 2 days i was in detention room.  IE. i got stamped out of Malaysia wednesday and then went back to Malaysia Friday.  Obviously Phuket didn't stamp me in.  what happens there?   cuz if the Thailand immigration haven't even flagged it on my passport, It will look like i just disappeared for one day.   

Although saying that, Malaysia never questioned it. 

Edited by paulikens

19 minutes ago, paulikens said:

Not a problem, you could have gone to Singapore or Macau for a night, neither of them stamp your passport in or out nowadays

Singapore you could have entered via bus/car at Johor Bahru so no flight records either.

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, paulikens said:

It is normal that there would be no entry or exit stamps for Thailand. What is very strange is the lack of a denied entry stamp. As previously stated, the possibilities that come to mind are (i) immigration forgot to stamp your passport; or (ii) they finally realised that denying you entry lacked legal justification, so they decided to make it appear as though you voluntarily turned around and returned to Penang without entering Thailand.

I would still be interested in seeing a scan of the document you were given, to see whether it included anything that would justify a denied entry under Section 12.

11 hours ago, paulikens said:

So, Had i until now.  As has been said many times on here its IO discretion whether to let you in or not.  I know they might have not done it lawfully but that wasn't the point, the point is it could happen to you.  So, I don't know what your point is?   Apart from some kind of gloating.  

Ignore JoseThailand. He fled Russia, and Russians are specifically allowed unlimited land border runs so his information is not relevant to this thread. I have no idea why he always comes in these threads spouting off nonsense. Please Jose understand you dont have a western passport.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, BritTim said:

It is normal that there would be no entry or exit stamps for Thailand. What is very strange is the lack of a denied entry stamp. As previously stated, the possibilities that come to mind are (i) immigration forgot to stamp your passport; or (ii) they finally realised that denying you entry lacked legal justification, so they decided to make it appear as though you voluntarily turned around and returned to Penang without entering Thailand.

I would still be interested in seeing a scan of the document you were given, to see whether it included anything that would justify a denied entry under Section 12.

Unfortunately i binned it.  I didn't really want any reminder of that nightmare????

• Haha 2

Unfortunately i binned it.  I didn't really want any reminder of that nightmare????

I have a hard time believing that to be honest. First you said you didn't know what you signed, so it didn't sound like you even had a copy to peruse to check. Now you're saying you actually got one but binned it? Come on.

For your credibility, could you please scan the pages in your passport that showed your departure from Penang and your arrival back there. Thanks.

• Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Caldera said:

I have a hard time believing that to be honest. First you said you didn't know what you signed, so it didn't sound like you even had a copy to peruse to check. Now you're saying you actually got one but binned it? Come on.

Why would i keep it?  For what purpose exactly?  So i can look at it for years to come to remind myself of the nightmare! i had at Phuket airport

4 hours ago, Caldera said:

In actual fact in the detention room there was a couple of said forms left by previous detainees. So, It's not exactly unusual for people to bin them or as 2 previous people done, not even take the forms with them.    You really think i just made it up.  I really, really wish i had.  God! I wish this was made up but unfortunately it isn't

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, paulikens said:

In actual fact in the detention room there was a couple of said forms left by previous detainees. So, It's not exactly unusual for people to bin them or as 2 previous people done, not even take the forms with them.    You really think i just made it up.  I really, really wish i had.  God! I wish this was made up but unfortunately it isn't

But you can appreciate that right from your first post on this subject people were requesting such information in order to help you help yourself ?

Just now, HighPriority said:

But you can appreciate that right from your first post on this subject people were requesting such information in order to help you help yourself ?

But the only information I ever wanted was how long before i can go back to Thailand? everything else is irrelevant.   I don't feel comfortable posting photos of my personal information on here.   That's my private information. next people will want to see my bank account.  the bottom line is when can i go back to Thailand after being denied entry?  To be honest i posted, hoping someone had the same experience, So, then that would be the most sound information i could go on.  But alas no-one had.   I  don't see what relevance the charge (if there is even one on my passport) has. there can't be a minimum of time for each different charge.  But i have had some advise from people on here who seem to know what they're talking about and I thank them for that.

Just now, HighPriority said:

the reason of my original post was that i was  hoping to find someone who had experienced the same thing.   I've also stated that the reason given was around the line of 'not intending to stay for purpose of visit'    So, If you or anyone else knows how long it is before i can go back with that charge?  I'll gladly listen to your advise. 

1 minute ago, paulikens said:

the reason of my original post was that i was  hoping to find someone who had experienced the same thing.   I've also stated that the reason given was around the line of 'not intending to stay for purpose of visit'    So, If you or anyone else knows how long it is before i can go back with that charge?  I'll gladly listen to your advise. 

That's why I didn't offer any...

One of the reasons people wanted more information was because what happened to you doesn't happen very often.

You were given advice but up to you to accept.

• Thumbs Up 1