Schengen Visa Rejection Rates

So if I'm right, and this might interest me as an American, am I right in saying that if I wanted to travel to Europe with my Thai wife, I should simply apply in a Schengen country with the lowest rejection rate?

Now my wife is a US Permanent Resident, so I think that helps a lot, but we have wanted to visit Iceland for a long time, then we could visit with her cousin in Sweden. So apply in Iceland and we're off to the races!

Is that how this works?

Edited by GinBoy2

59 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

So if I'm right, and this might interest me as an American, am I right in saying that if I wanted to travel to Europe with my Thai wife, I should simply apply in a Schengen country with the lowest rejection rate?

Now my wife is a US Permanent Resident, so I think that helps a lot, but we have wanted to visit Iceland for a long time, then we could visit with her cousin in Sweden. So apply in Iceland and we're off to the races!

Is that how this works?

i think you nailed it

1 hour ago, GinBoy2 said:

Is that how this works?

Not quite that simple, you have to apply via the Consulate with jurisdiction for your main destination, ie where your going to spend the longest time.

If you intend spending an equal amount of time in both countries she would need to apply via the Consulate with jurisdiction for her point of entry into the Schengen Area, so that could be Iceland.

If you intend spending longer in Sweden, than she would need to apply via the Swedish Consulate, either way she would need to supply travel and accommodation details for the complete stay.

Incidentally applications for visas for Iceland are processed by the Danish Consulate in Thailand, though I believe Iceland processes applications in the US.

During a trip there a few years ago we were surprised just how many Thai tourists there were, though they were outnumbered by the Chinese, stunning country.

14 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

Not quite that simple, you have to apply via the Consulate with jurisdiction for your main destination, ie where your going to spend the longest time.

If you intend spending an equal amount of time in both countries she would need to apply via the Consulate with jurisdiction for her point of entry into the Schengen Area, so that could be Iceland.

If you intend spending longer in Sweden, than she would need to apply via the Swedish Consulate, either way she would need to supply travel and accommodation details for the complete stay.

Incidentally applications for visas for Iceland are processed by the Danish Consulate in Thailand, though I believe Iceland processes applications in the US.

During a trip there a few years ago we were surprised just how many Thai tourists there were, though they were outnumbered by the Chinese, stunning country.

You're talking about intentions. You can apply at any Embassy you want, telling them you intend to stay there the longest. Once you're in Europe, nobody checks nor care through which Embassy you got your visa. For my last trip to Europe I planned flying and staying only in 1 country. However I realised it will be much easier and faster to apply at an embassy of another country, and that's what I've done. Upon arrival at my actual intended destination I was asked by the IO why have I applied through another country when I'm actually visiting his. That was the first time ever I was asked this question, even though I always do it the same way. I simply answered "changed my plans" and I was stamped in.

2 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

Is that how this works?

my chinese friend, male, got a shengen visa at germany embassy in bkk and could travel easely in france, belgium, spain last christmas

32 minutes ago, LukKrueng said:

You're talking about intentions. You can apply at any Embassy you want, telling them you intend to stay there the longest. Once you're in Europe, nobody checks nor care through which Embassy you got your visa. For my last trip to Europe I planned flying and staying only in 1 country. However I realised it will be much easier and faster to apply at an embassy of another country, and that's what I've done. Upon arrival at my actual intended destination I was asked by the IO why have I applied through another country when I'm actually visiting his. That was the first time ever I was asked this question, even though I always do it the same way. I simply answered "changed my plans" and I was stamped in.

Not just intentions you need to supply evidence of your stay that matches the application.

My wife had an application refused by the French as we were spending one night longer in Italy, which equated to a few hours, than we were in France, despite the fact we were flying to Paris from Bangkok as well as flying home from there.

Yes, once you have your visa you can pretty much travel within the Schengen Area at will.

There are no regular immigration checks at member state borders, but they do have them occasionally, we’ve encountered them on trains.

From the official Schengen Info website:

• If you are going to visit only one Schengen country, file your application at the embassy/consulate/visa centre of that country
  • If you are going to visit more than two Schengen countries, file your application:
    • At the embassy/consulate/visa centre of the country where you will spend most days if you will be spending an unequal amount of days in each
    • At the embassy/consulate/visa centre of the country where you will step first, if you will be spending an equal amount of days in each

4 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

Not just intentions you need to supply evidence of your stay that matches the application.

My wife had an application refused by the French as we were spending one night longer in Italy, which equated to a few hours, than we were in France, despite the fact we were flying to Paris from Bangkok as well as flying home from there.

Yes, once you have your visa you can pretty much travel within the Schengen Area at will.

There are no regular immigration checks at member state borders, but they do have them occasionally, we’ve encountered them on trains.

You can very simply book hotels that charge upon arrival and can be cancelled without penalty. Same for airline tickets.

3 minutes ago, LukKrueng said:

You can very simply book hotels that charge upon arrival and can be cancelled without penalty. Same for airline tickets.

Yes you can, there’s all sorts of ways to circumnavigate the rules if it’s that important for you.

1 hour ago, vinny41 said:

Indeed, as l said earlier

1 hour ago, theoldgit said:

So I think I'm good.

We're planning a week in Iceland in December, then on to Sweden over Christmas.

I don't foresee any issues with MrsG getting a visa since she's a US Green card holder, and applying at the Icelandic consulate in the US seems a slam dunk 

• 2 weeks later...

"So I think I'm good.

We're planning a week in Iceland in December, then on to Sweden over Christmas.

I don't foresee any issues with MrsG getting a visa since she's a US Green card holder, and applying at the Icelandic consulate in the US seems a slam dunk "

If I were you I'd fly to Finland or Estonia and then to Sweden by ship. That way no border control 95% of time in Stockholm. Sweden is tough on Thais... tallink.ee

Those are NATO countries and like/love Americans.

Sweden is a mess right now by allowing Koran and Bible burning. Lot of street violence and right now there's terrorist warning on.

Swedish Embassy does not handle visa. They let outside company to do it. Same with Iceland, Finland and Estonia.

How to apply for a visa to Iceland

The Icelandic Embassy in London has authorized VFS Global to run the Icelandic Visa Application Centres in the UK. Applicants should hand in their applications at the VFS visa application centres.

"The Embassy of Sweden in Bangkok is handling Schengen visa applications from applicants legally residing in Thailand, Indonesia, Myanmar, Vietnam, Philippines, Malaysia, Cambodia, and Singapore. 

Submission of Schengen visa applications and collection of passports is through VFS Global 

VFS Global receives the applications and the passports and the Embassy decides in the Schengen visa applications. A decision will normally be made within 15 days."

VFS has spotty  reputation... Your mileage WILL vary..."

A few years ago nobody knew where their head quarters were located! Same with the owners. Now it's Blackstone (what ever that is...)

https://www.vfsglobal.com/en/general/about.html?from_section=0

How did they get so many countries to give up passport/visa processing?

Well, as usual - "follow the money". It's a shame!

Sensitive information to unknown company; Passport numbers, bank accounts & balances, addresses, phone numbers etc

My Thai lady had to pay over list price and didn't get 3 months, only 2 months. It was violation of EU rules but what can you do? If you go and file complaint you never get an other visa...

Good Luck! Take warm clothes. Plenty of them ????

• Like 1

"STOCKHOLM, Aug 17 (Reuters) - Sweden's security service, SAPO, will raise its assessment of the terrorist threat to the nation to the second-highest level, daily Dagens Nyheter (DN) reported on Thursday, citing unnamed sources. The threat level will be raised to level 4 from 3 on a scale of 1-5, DN reported."

Please, pack Kelvar vests and helmets.....