Immigration jail, What's it like?

Daffy D

I have read on here in other threads that inside IDC is run by the Iranians, as there are many in there long term.

Apart from the terrible conditions, there are obviously some bad people in there who could make life even more difficult.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

So they always force you to fly to your home country as well right, is that a fact or just gossip too? 

I knew a friend of a friend who was fked near a decade ago and ended up there for a day, costed him 110k baht for a business flight to europe unless he wanted to stay another 3 days. He paid it of course.

While logically thinking I would get the first flight to anywhere, Malaysia etc, if being deported.

He came back 2 weeks later and got the elite visa as it was before the changes in law.

Depending on the charges, flights home for deportees are supposed to be only on the deportee's home country national carrier.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Felton Jarvis said:

Fortunately, the UK is a CIVILIZED country. No need to apologise for compassion.

Yes of course, they are "families fleeing war", and certainly not economic migrants who have our system all figured out. Conditions must have been terrible in war torn France or they would not have risked a channel crossing.

Don't forget how lucky we are to get all those "Doctors and Engineers."

Note, the above sarcasm does not apply to genuine refugees.

There actually are genuine refugees in the IDC - Pakistani Christians fleeing persecution by the majority in their home country.

Edited by mokwit
  • Like 2

I know a farang who was in there for about 5 days, he was deported from another country back to Thailand then from here to the UK, seems like the immigration have their own travel agents in his case no choice on where you can get your flight, he did say people have been in there for years, 

He did keep his phone, 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mokwit said:

Yes of course, they are "families fleeing war", and certainly not economic migrants who have our system all figured out. Conditions must have been terrible in war torn France or they would not have risked a channel crossing.

Don't forget how lucky we are to get all those "Doctors and Engineers."

Note, the above sarcasm does not apply to genuine refugees.

There actually are genuine refugees in the IDC - Pakistani Christians fleeing persecution by the majority in their home country.

According to my mate who processed asylum claims at the home office 5% are genuine asylum seekers!

• Like 1

On 7/29/2023 at 7:53 AM, watchcat said:

Looks awful but it's easy to avoid; Do not overstay your Visa.

Not necessarily and too simplistic. If the system does not work mistakes get made or one is unable to report properly, you can get stuck in there. Not a perfect system.

It’s good to have a small property in your home country you can deport back to, otherwise your stuck with nowhere to go.

Edited by JimTripper

On 7/28/2023 at 6:26 PM, Neeranam said:

don't know if I'd want to sleep with prisoners so close to me

AGreed, must be many desperate folks in there, can't get out because no funds o buy a flight ticket / folks from home refuse to help, so stealing from other IDC 'inmates' very attractive.

Must also be some inmates who are not bad peope, just got confused about dates and ended up in IDC.

On the other hand there's folks in every country who 'naturally' get themselves into trouble in many aspects of life. Some will end up in IDC and very likely with no funds. 

• Like 1

On 7/30/2023 at 12:30 PM, dddave said:

Perhaps someone skilled at searching old ThaiVisa archives can find an approximately 10 year old topic wherein a young man was tossed into IDC-Bangkok for some strange reason.  He was able to retain his phone and was posting on TV looking for advice and help.  It went on for quite a few days and he described the conditions at IDC clearly.  

I remember that too, sounded <deleted>...

On 7/28/2023 at 6:04 PM, marin said:

One picture of Bangkok Immigration Remand should answer all your questions..

Bangkok-detention-center.jpg

A farang friend of mine was in there, he said the worse thing was the noise, they have a couple of TVs, and everyone is shouting 24/7. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/28/2023 at 5:57 PM, Daffy D said:
On 7/28/2023 at 5:54 PM, Hummin said:

From what I have heard first hand from Koh Samui, a dirty stinking hole, and valium was available. Others have said same about Bangkok. 

"We were rats in a cage they roamed in, but some guards allowed themselves to be bribed, and bought valium from fellow prisoners to get some sleep. We can talk later. Exhausted…

Good luck

Expand  

Don't like the sound of that  :w00t:

Better get that overstay sorted now then.  ????????

4 minutes ago, BenStark said:

Better get that overstay sorted now then.  ????????

This was a case of using an agent going wrong, so be aware who you choose to trust

Edited by Hummin
  • Like 1

On 7/30/2023 at 12:11 PM, phetphet said:

I have read on here in other threads that inside IDC is run by the Iranians, as there are many in there long term.

Apart from the terrible conditions, there are obviously some bad people in there who could make life even more difficult.

Is that meaning someone (Iranians?) offer a deal to protect you for a fee (no doubt not cheap)? course?

Can it really be like that given that everybody who entere IDC wants out, and from my understanding - correct me iif this is not true, most will leave IDC for the airport to fly out?

Therefore no lvery long-term inmates, so not easy to keep a protection gang togther and focused...

Edited by scorecard

On 7/28/2023 at 5:49 PM, Daffy D said:

With the recent crackdown on overstayers the local immigration detention centers must be getting pretty full. 

Just wondering what they are like.

I'm guessing you aren't thrown in a cage with 100 or more others with hardly enough room to sleep on the floor and a stinking hole in the corner as a toilet.

So what are the conditions, anyone have actual first hand experience?

What do they supply? bed, blanket, towel.  Meals, drinking water, Laundry service, change of clothes?

Guess you are allowed a phone, are there charging points, how about a laptop, allowed?
 WiFi ? 

Can you buy things like soap and toothpaste? and snacks?

Visitors allowed?

Visit from your Country's Embassy?

Just a few things that come to mind. Feel free to add to the list.

Suggest you get in and when or if you get out, report back...

On 7/28/2023 at 3:48 PM, proton said:

This is what they should do with illegal arrivals and over stayers in the UK- make it a deterrent, not a 3 star hotel.

Certainly not as bad as Thai IDC’s but not all illegal arrivals to the UK are put up in 3 star hotels.

IMG_0420.jpeg

IMG_0419.jpeg

I knew a German who spent a month in the immigration jail in BKK several years ago.  Very crowded, filthy, HOT.  Sleep on the bare floor, no bathing facilities, food inedible, you need a debit card (no cash permitted in jail) so you can order outside food.  He had a cellmate from Africa who had been in there 18 years!! since he had no money for a first class ticket back to Cameroon.  A russian had been here 12 years, another German 8 years.  All awaiting deportation but without funds.  Yes, embassy can visit, but pointless.  You could be stuck there forever with no set release date.

On 7/29/2023 at 1:31 PM, Woof999 said:

Do you have any real experience of this ever happening and leading to someone too sick to fulfill the requirements of getting a visa extension but still being held in the IDC?

Age alone isn't a reason for not being held in IDC. Was this 76yo man incapacitated to the point of not being able to do what he should have done?

I can't think of too many countries where that isn't the same.

In the USA, you can be totally illegal and receive almost everything you could want, no jail time, instead (for some) stay in a five-star hotel in downtown Manhattan, given free cell phones, free medical, free food  -- while US citizens struggle to pay their taxes, medical bills, and food and gas expenses. 

I knew a German who spent a month in the immigration jail in BKK several years ago.  Very crowded, filthy, HOT.  Sleep on the bare floor, no bathing facilities, food inedible, you need a debit card (no cash permitted in jail) so you can order outside food.  He had a cellmate from Africa who had been in there 18 years!! since he had no money for a first class ticket back to Cameroon.  A russian had been here 12 years, another German 8 years.  All awaiting deportation but without funds.  Yes, embassy can visit, but pointless.  You could be stuck there forever with no set release date.

On 7/29/2023 at 8:42 AM, mokwit said:

5 litre water container, but access to the one water spigot is apparently controlled by Iranian gangsters.

The Iranians working at the IDC are not per se gangsters. They do most of the leg-work. They even take care of some of the paperwork which should be the responsibility of Thai staff. I remember being grateful for an Iranian who spoke good English. He dug out the file of the detainee I'd come to help out so that, at last, something could be done. I remember his barely hiding his impatience at the lethargy of Thai staff around him.

I surmise they're Iranians who are no longer wanted in their own country (refugees of sorts).

On 7/29/2023 at 1:25 PM, Daffy D said:

That sounds more promising  :whistling: 

Though I don't have the funds nor do I want to be deported. 

:smile: 

Opps! Just realized the "is he? "

Wistful thinking perhaps :wacko:

so how long did you get?  and when do you go in?  

4 minutes ago, steven100 said:

so how long did you get?  and when do you go in?  

Not yet...... otherwise would not be asking about conditions.

Just planning ahead   :whistling:

Edited by Daffy D

1 hour ago, Ggeorge said:

In the USA, you can be totally illegal and receive almost everything you could want, no jail time, instead (for some) stay in a five-star hotel in downtown Manhattan, given free cell phones, free medical, free food  -- while US citizens struggle to pay their taxes, medical bills, and food and gas expenses. 

Bull Pie, I would like you to back up your statement about 5 star caring for those who arrive or stay illegal in Usa anyplace! 

• Thanks 1