Immigration jail, What's it like?

Daffy D

On 7/29/2023 at 1:25 PM, Daffy D said:

That sounds more promising  :whistling: 

Though I don't have the funds nor do I want to be deported. 

:smile: 

Opps! Just realized the "is he? "

Wistful thinking perhaps :wacko:

Quick initial glance I read it wrong:- :wacko:

"Is He"   --  He Is"  :guitar:

1 hour ago, gilamonster said:

I knew a German who spent a month in the immigration jail in BKK several years ago.  Very crowded, filthy, HOT.  Sleep on the bare floor, no bathing facilities, food inedible, you need a debit card (no cash permitted in jail) so you can order outside food.  He had a cellmate from Africa who had been in there 18 years!! since he had no money for a first class ticket back to Cameroon.  A russian had been here 12 years, another German 8 years.  All awaiting deportation but without funds.  Yes, embassy can visit, but pointless.  You could be stuck there forever with no set release date.

Interesting point about the money.

On 7/28/2023 at 5:49 PM, Daffy D said:

I'm guessing you aren't thrown in a cage with 100 or more others with hardly enough room to sleep on the floor and a stinking hole in the corner as a toilet.

That was exactly the conditions on Phuket as late as 2008 2010 kind of time. 

Once giant cell, 100 plus burmese, a hole in the corner to piss in.. Inedible food.. etc etc 

I helped 3 people deported via IDC by bringing them food they could actually eat etc.

You need to remember these places are primarily for burmese (and other) migrant workers, caught or often discarded without pay by unscrupulous employers. Thais are not going to spend any money on Burmese migrant worker comfort !! 

25 minutes ago, Daffy D said:

Not yet...... otherwise would not be asking about conditions.

Just planning ahead   :whistling:

if your a smoker you'll probably want cigarettes,   you'll have to bride the guard to get them for you.  

1 hour ago, Daffy D said:

Interesting point about the money.

just prepare yourself mentally and have a fair amount of cash left with someone outside you can trust so you can do outside purchases if needed, and the debit card of course. Don't worry ... 10 years will fly by so fast .. think of it as free rent & accommodation and food.

Edited by steven100
  • Like 1

On 7/29/2023 at 1:55 AM, mokwit said:

Abut 20 years ago I did my 90 day report at Suan Phluu a day late. They sent me to the IDC to pay a Bt2,000 fine. The IO at the next desk was fiddling with a set of leg irons [two U's on a rod type] that seemed to need fixing.

I was a Professional on a priority visa and was a day late because I was working so hard promoting investing in Thailand, i forgot. I imagine many expat professionals subjected to that would have called their wife and told her to get the kids out of school and meet at the airport, we're leaving.

I have to go back home for end of life care as one of the risks is being too sick to do my extension and going onto overstay and Imm coming to get me - I may end up in IDC when I should be in hospital.

What are you talking about??? IDC to pay a 90 day late reporting fee??  

20 years ago immigration could care less if you overstayed, especially 1 day, maybe a fee , no IDC time or bans.   Back in the 90's I came to Thailand regularly for work and always had delays. Never had an issue overstaying 1-2 days, IO would laugh about it. 

as for overstaying they didn't really get serious on that until about 10-15 years ago.

8 hours ago, ericthai said:

What are you talking about??? IDC to pay a 90 day late reporting fee??  

20 years ago immigration could care less if you overstayed, especially 1 day, maybe a fee , no IDC time or bans.   Back in the 90's I came to Thailand regularly for work and always had delays. Never had an issue overstaying 1-2 days, IO would laugh about it. 

as for overstaying they didn't really get serious on that until about 10-15 years ago.

They sent me to the an office at the front of the IDC compound to pay the fine there.

Around 2000 they introduced enforcing 90 day reporting and then stopped it again after maybe 18 months or so. I went to do my report and got a "why have you come, didn't you get the message?" look. Stopped doing it after that.

You are right, overstay never used to be any kind of big deal.

Edited by mokwit
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, JackGats said:

The Iranians working at the IDC are not per se gangsters. They do most of the leg-work. They even take care of some of the paperwork which should be the responsibility of Thai staff. I remember being grateful for an Iranian who spoke good English. He dug out the file of the detainee I'd come to help out so that, at last, something could be done. I remember his barely hiding his impatience at the lethargy of Thai staff around him.

I surmise they're Iranians who are no longer wanted in their own country (refugees of sorts).

If they are controlling access to water they are a Mafia. Gangster perhaps the wrong word.

That said, they may not all be doing that and quite possibly are legitimate refugees from persecution. The revolutionaries murdered many non Muslims and persecution probably of those they didn't.

On 7/30/2023 at 5:59 PM, Daffy D said:

If I should end up in any kind of jail  my greatest fear would be if they had those squat toilets.

With my aged knees I can no longer lift myself up from one of those.

I'd have to wait for the next user to come along and just hope he was gentleman enough to pull me up before using it himself 

:w00t:  

Many of us are in the same boat. Squat toilets are a near impossibility for me.

my mate was in there for three weeks. his dad wired his flight money to me and i took it to bangkok and went to the IDC.  was a bad looking place, as packed with people as the photo that was posted.  there are youtube videos about it too, showing the inside of the prison.

my mate later told me he saw some guy getting a worm dug out of his leg by his mate, with a spoon!  best to avoid being detained here at all costs!!

1 hour ago, Dante99 said:

which airline  is the national carrier for the USA?

That must be a big problem as more "National Carriers" go belly-up.  I have no idea how they decide which to use as an alternate.  As far as I know, United was the last US carrier to have regular flights to Thailand and that ended about 8 years ago.

On 7/29/2023 at 7:53 AM, watchcat said:

Looks awful but it's easy to avoid; Do not overstay your Visa.

And make sure the departure date stamped into your passport on entry, is correct.   One trip years ago, my departure ticket was dated 28 days after I arrived.   

However, the departure date stamped into my passport was 3 days before I was leaving.  Even when I showed immigration my airline ticket, with my arrival date in Thailand 28 days before, I was still charged 3 days overstay!