Immigration jail, What's it like?

Daffy D

31 minutes ago, Daffy D said:

With the recent crackdown on overstayers the local immigration detention centers must be getting pretty full. 

Just wondering what they are like.

I'm guessing you aren't thrown in a cage with 100 or more others with hardly enough room to sleep on the floor and a stinking hole in the corner as a toilet.

So what are the conditions, anyone have actual first hand experience?

What do they supply? bed, blanket, towel.  Meals, drinking water, Laundry service, change of clothes?

Guess you are allowed a phone, are there charging points, how about a laptop, allowed?
 WiFi ? 

Can you buy things like soap and toothpaste? and snacks?

Visitors allowed?

Visit from your Country's Embassy?

Just a few things that come to mind. Feel free to add to the list.

There have been a couple of relatively recent posts from people held in IDC. By all accounts the conditions are every bit as bad as the regular prisons here, if not worse in some ways (sometimes more overcrowded apparently, for instance).

Edited by GroveHillWanderer

11 minutes ago, Woof999 said:

Even if you were incapacitated in hospital and unable to do anything about your visa requirements for a significant period of time, that scenario is unlikely to result in your visiting the IDC.

What if you are at home and too sick but not obviously incapacitated and don't have all the Doctors paperwork they require?. Don't be too sure you won't end up in IDC If the Imm. Doctor doesn't think you are a hospital case. They recently arrested a 76 year old man for being on overstay. Is he being held in a 3 star hotel while his deportation goes through?

Once you break the law you are no longer a welcome G7 high value tourist but a criminal in their judicial system.

Edited by mokwit
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, mokwit said:

They recently arrested a 76 year old man for being on overstay. Is he being held in a 3 star hotel while his deportation goes through?

That sounds more promising  :whistling: 

Though I don't have the funds nor do I want to be deported. 

:smile: 

Opps! Just realized the "is he? "

Wistful thinking perhaps :wacko:

Edited by Daffy D
Correction
  • Confused 2

18 hours ago, Woof999 said:

I've heard that the movie selection is mostly Thai, and way out of date compared to the cinema. They only started showing Top Gun Maverick this month and it was in Thai subtitles with the English soundtrack dubbed out.

Apparently the curtains don't fully block out the early morning sun, so that would be a good time to get up and look out over the lawns.

As for meals, there are usually only 2 choices, meat or fish. Soy sauce available but no ketchup.

The charging points are only low power. Takes almost a day for most of the inmates to fully charge their phones.

Laundry service is not what it used to be though. Shame..

Luxury in the UK your not allowed a phone.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

What if you are at home and too sick but not obviously incapacitated and don't have all the Doctors paperwork they require?. Don't be too sure you won't end up in IDC If the Imm. Doctor doesn't think you are a hospital case.

Do you have any real experience of this ever happening and leading to someone too sick to fulfill the requirements of getting a visa extension but still being held in the IDC?

They recently arrested a 76 year old man for being on overstay. Is he being held in a 3 star hotel while his deportation goes through?

Age alone isn't a reason for not being held in IDC. Was this 76yo man incapacitated to the point of not being able to do what he should have done?

Once you break the law you are no longer a welcome G7 high value tourist but a criminal in their judicial system.

I can't think of too many countries where that isn't the same.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Daffy D said:

What do they supply? bed, blanket, towel.  Meals, drinking water, Laundry service, change of clothes?

5 litre water container, but access to the one water spigot is apparently controlled by Iranian gangsters.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, bob smith said:

Oh its lovely yeah.

nice pool and michelin star restaurant attached.

would highly reccomend to anyone.

I think Swedish criminals would probably be disappointed by the standards of the facility.

So they always force you to fly to your home country as well right, is that a fact or just gossip too? 

I knew a friend of a friend who was fked near a decade ago and ended up there for a day, costed him 110k baht for a business flight to europe unless he wanted to stay another 3 days. He paid it of course.

While logically thinking I would get the first flight to anywhere, Malaysia etc, if being deported.

He came back 2 weeks later and got the elite visa as it was before the changes in law.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

7 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

So they always force you to fly to your home country as well right, is that a fact or just gossip too? 

I knew a friend of a friend who was fked near a decade ago and ended up there for a day, costed him 110k baht for a business flight to europe unless he wanted to stay another 3 days. He paid it of course.

While logically thinking I would get the first flight to anywhere, Malaysia etc, if being deported.

He came back 2 weeks later and got the elite visa as it was before the changes in law.

Pretty sure when being refused entry upon arrival by air, you need to return back to your point of origin at the airline's cost if it was due to something they missed/didn't check for (like a proper visa). When being deported for other reasons, you must return to the country of the passport you entered with. You don't get to pick and choose where to go.

Edited by Ohyesuare