US Passport Photos

5 minutes ago, looplaw said:

Can anyone recommend a good photo shop in Bangkok for 

US Passport photos?

Just use Google maps to find a photo shop near you. Many do passport photos. 

I used a photo shop here in Sisaket province. It took a couple of minutes. I just received my new US passport a couple of days ago.

Edited by MPoll
  • Thanks 1

Not sure if still open but there was a visa/passport service on ground floor of GPF Witthyu Towers (walk in main entrance next to 7-11 and around back to South side) that did mine last time (couple years ago).  Not expensive and they know what is required as is first tower North of US Embassy Annex (Consultate) on same side of street and used to house INS office.

Edited by lopburi3
  • Thanks 1

Go to the building at the corner of Ploenchit Road and Wireless (Witthayu) Road. It's a 5 or 10 minute walk from the US Embassy. There's a shop on the ground floor that specializes in photos for the various embassies around them. They know for each requirement and embassy the right style and format. 

• Thumbs Up 1

54 minutes ago, MPoll said:

Just use Google maps to find a photo shop near you. Many do passport photos. 

I used a photo shop here in Sisaket province. It took a couple of minutes. I just received my new US passport a couple of days ago.

How long did it take you to get your new passport?

I keep hearing it is taking much longer these days ...

7 minutes ago, HaoleBoy said:

4 weeks 3 days 

I got my new passport through the US embassy in Bangkok.

• Love It 1

24 minutes ago, Pitak Chirachat said:

There's a shop on the ground floor that specializes in photos for the various embassies around them. They know for each requirement and embassy the right style and format.

This is excellent advice.

When I last renewed my pp (Oz) 

I had my photos done professionally according to the embassy guidelines.

When presenting in person was told "photo no good" and given map to Photoshop. 

Only short walk so not huge problem.

No surprise that the photos from the shop were same as ones I already had..

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

Be very careful using Thai photo shops as they normally will provide a blue background (even when taken with white).  Make sure they know it must be a white or off-white background.  Requirements below:

Your photos or digital images must be:

• In color
  • Sized such that the head is between 1 inch and 1 3/8 inches (22 mm and 35 mm) or 50% and 69% of the image's total height from the bottom of the chin to the top of the head. View the Photo Composition Template for more size requirement details.
  • Taken within the last 6 months to reflect your current appearance
  • Taken in front of a plain white or off-white background
  • Taken in full-face view directly facing the camera
  • With a neutral facial expression and both eyes open
  • Taken in clothing that you normally wear on a daily basis
  • Uniforms should not be worn in your photo, except religious clothing that is worn daily.
  • Do not wear a hat or head covering that obscures the hair or hairline, unless worn daily for a religious purpose. Your full face must be visible, and the head covering must not cast any shadows on your face.
  • Headphones, wireless hands-free devices, or similar items are not acceptable in your photo.
  • Eyeglasses are no longer allowed in new visa photos, except in rare circumstances when eyeglasses cannot be removed for medical reasons; e.g., the applicant has recently had ocular surgery and the eyeglasses are necessary to protect the applicant's eyes. A medical statement signed by a medical professional/health practitioner must be provided in these cases. If the eyeglasses are accepted for medical reasons:
    • The frames of the eyeglasses must not cover the eye(s).
    • There must not be glare on eyeglasses that obscures the eye(s).
    • There must not be shadows or refraction from the eyeglasses that obscures the eye(s). 
  • If you normally wear a hearing device or similar articles, they may be worn in your photo.

Good advice. Further, many photo shops want to "beautify" the photos by removing imperfections. This is an absolute no-no in passport photos these days.

1 hour ago, HaoleBoy said:

My daughters renewed passport took 6 weeks and 2 days to arrive here after we visited the US Embassy in May of this year. My renewed passport is still processing, but I expect the same 6-7 weeks or so, we'll see.

• Thumbs Up 1

You can simply take the photo yourself and use the 'how to' instructions on the PP renewal site when submitting PP renewal.

No need to go to a shop, and guessing you'll have a quicker turn around if you don't.  1 less step they don't have to do.

Edited by KhunLA