S&P 500 Index up 20% YTD.

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

To your reply, no, to OP, yes.

But almost on topic, as OP is all happy about 20% increase YTD, which pales from the low not to long ago.  so only one way to go, and that's UP.

Not back to 2021/22 levels, and just a bit above Feb 2021, when new Biden administration took over.

Things look different without tunnel vision & blinders on.

....blinKers on...............

Just now, KannikaP said:

He never expressed any Happiness or other emotion, he simply posted a chart.

Posting about a 20% increase would imply happy to me.  Reading between the lines isn't really that hard ... is it ?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Posting about a 20% increase would imply happy to me.  Reading between the lines isn't really that hard ... is it ?

I try to NOT read between the lines as I may mis-interpret it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Thailand J said:

As a stocks investor, you pay no attention to how overall market is doing?

Investors should pay no attention to how the overall market is doing.  (1) Equity investing is a long term matter, and short term noise is irrelevant. (2) Attempts at market timing doesn't work.

You may pay no attention to short term noise if you invest in index funds for the long haul.

Or you may pay attention without having to act.

If you invest in a few stocks what do you compare their performances to, short term or long term?

Not just stock investors, other asset class investors look at S&P 500 for comparison too. 

Edited by Thailand J

2 hours ago, Thailand J said:

You may pay no attention to short term noise if you invest in index funds for the long haul.

Or you may pay attention without having to act.

If you invest in a few stocks what do you compare their performances to, short term or long term?

Not just stock investors, other asset class investors look at S&P 500 for comparison too. 

Never got into the long term/hold 'em mentality, as 5-10% over 5-10-20 yrs never interested me.  Too impatient, too greedy.

After rolling over RE equity into the market, played the Y2K scam till just before it crashed ????

Then Bush 2 became elected president, and the obvious, oil.  For me, high risk/high gain, speculative oil stock, pennies actually.  Actually my best returns on investing.

Too moral to go into defense contractor, though I do think I regret that, with President Cheney at the helm.  Those profits are a given.

Wee bit of inside trading, day trading, and oil stock pay offs, and the rest is history.

It does take work/research, and paying attention, along with knowing the scam of the markets, the trends and having software to point out the scams.

Funds are good, but run in 2-3-5 yr cycles.  Municipality and utilities stocks/funds, along with dividend stocks, which TBH, never really played with.  Steady gains, but to low & slow for me.  No real work/research involved though.  

Options are great, but you have to really know what you're doing.  Good if inside trading, and yes, it's real, and so many do it.  Straight out inside trading, or simply implied buy / sell. Ex: "We have some exciting news coming next week" in direct conversation, not news-blips.   If waiting for news, you're too late already.

Happy Trading.  Do it right, and you can retire in less than 5 yrs.  Turn $50k into 1M.  Work smarter, not harder.

On 8/6/2023 at 9:34 AM, KhunLA said:

Yes, I agree.

Anyone who knows the stock market knows that the S&P generally does 10% a year on average, so 20% in 7 months definitely has positive vibes.