Which LED Light Bulbs in Thailand Most Closely Replicate The FEEL of The Old Incandescent Bulbs? (Same Question: Fluorescent Tube Lighting?)

GammaGlobulin

Which LED Light Bulbs in Thailand Most Closely Replicate The FEEL of The Old Incandescent Bulbs? (Same Question: Fluorescent Tube Lighting?)....

BULBS:

I have purchased several different brands of LED bulbs. Some are better than others. But most seem way too orange, or far too much like traditional fluorescent lighting for a garage or a petrol station.

I have noticed that the “Temperature” rating of the bulbs seems more of an approximation than a reliable indicator of the actual temperature of the light…. (Here, I assume that temperature means temperature in the blackbody sense of a perfect radiator, or an approximation of a perfect radiator.)

Anyway, after I buy the bulbs and get them home, they are never what I had expected. 

The closest I got was with the CFL glass-spiral bulbs made by Panasonic, but I don’t see these for sale anymore.  

Now I have switched to LED, and LED is more efficient than the Panasonic CFL bulbs, but the color is not acceptable.

TUBE LIGHTING:

The normal type fluorescent tube lighting in most houses in Thailand is not acceptable to my taste.  (This type of lighting is preferred by many people in Asia for various reasons.)

Is there any tube lighting available in Thailand which can replicate the color of the Old Incandescent bulbs?  (The Panasonic CFL spiral bulbs were decent, but I need tube lighting for two areas of the house.)

Thank you.

Note:  IMHO, Paris is the City of Light(s) Thailand is not. Thailand is the city of beautiful lanterns during Loy Krathong.

Note2: Re blackbody… as in the below image….

image.png.5d27e816c18d1b35a82a52b5fa3e1f9c.png

Image taken from: https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/engineering/blackbody-radiator

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Love It 1

9 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Thailand is not. Thailand is the city of beautiful lanterns during Loy Krathong.

You question is somewhat of nothing all LED bulbs regardless of lumens will come in a choice of 2, 3 or possibly 4 options, bright white, white or warm

bright white will obviously resemble your normal incandescent bulbs . If you are refereeing to lanterns during loy Krathong then you would be looking at bulbs with a warm labeling. I presume a normal white would be likened to fluorescent lamps.

I only ever buy bright white. Sitting in semi darkness with warm bulbs(bought a couple of times under duress but then asked to replace again) seems pointless to me

13 minutes ago, Dene16 said:

You question is somewhat of nothing all LED bulbs regardless of lumens will come in a choice of 2, 3 or possibly 4 options, bright white, white or warm

bright white will obviously resemble your normal incandescent bulbs . If you are refereeing to lanterns during loy Krathong then you would be looking at bulbs with a warm labeling. I presume a normal white would be likened to fluorescent lamps.

I only ever buy bright white. Sitting in semi darkness with warm bulbs(bought a couple of times under duress but then asked to replace again) seems pointless to me

Color temperature is definitely a matter of personal preference, and I am not saying that one flavor should be suitable to all people.

Until the age of 60, I have used incandescent bulbs, exclusively.  This is the color temperature that I prefer, and I want to replicate this "feel" as much as possible.

There are MANY different color temperatures that I have found while buying LED bulbs.

I don't have a spectroscope in my home, and therefore cannot provide any quantitative data; I can only provide qualitative data from my observations during the past few years, based on the bulbs that I have purchased, thus far.

(Concerning Loy Krathong lanterns:  The light in the lanterns is provided by the flame of burning candles. The candle light produced by the flame is probably the most similar to that produced by tungsten incandescent light bulbs, and that is the "feel" that I wish to replicate, ie, the light from the traditional incandescent light bulb that I grew up with, and read books by.)

Thank you for your reply....

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Love It 1

24 minutes ago, Dene16 said:

Aesthetics is important to me, and it is not about sitting in "semi darkness", as you say.

In my house, I prefer this feel:

image.png.e9cfe4087f60b6a5e2cd54bea4658407.png

Not this feeling:

image.png.9178eb85fd4b974c23e12b95e964f328.png

• Love It 1

35 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

2800K LED Filament bulbs

Thank you, but are these not normally used with chandeliers, or in vintage lighting where one needs to have a visible filament?

For my purposes, I wish NOT to have the internal filament or LED visible.

I am now using 3000K LED bulbs, however the light is still too orange, and therefore it is possible that this manufacturer has mislabeled the product.

Maybe LAZADA is not the best place to shop for LED lighting?

• Love It 1

50 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Thank you, but are these not normally used with chandeliers, or in vintage lighting where one needs to have a visible filament?

For my purposes, I wish NOT to have the internal filament or LED visible.

I am now using 3000K LED bulbs, however the light is still too orange, and therefore it is possible that this manufacturer has mislabeled the product.

Maybe LAZADA is not the best place to shop for LED lighting?

Up to you what you want, we cannot help you choose.

I use 7000k.

image.png.dce535ae67c69b9861833ed5664bcdca.png

Edited by Ralf001
  • Like 1

I want light which is inexpensive to run, and will also enable me to read books.

I was under the impression the next thread of the OP was going to be about function, this one appears to be about form.

Are there two tangents operating in tandem?

• Thumbs Up 1

23 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Up to you what you want, we cannot help you choose.

I use 7000k.

image.png.dce535ae67c69b9861833ed5664bcdca.png

I think that the problem I am experiencing arises due to poor quality from the manufacturer. I have, above, attached a photo showing the two brands I am using (3000K temp).

a. The temp rating seems to be different than the actual output from the LEDs.

b. The plastic globes covering the LEDs keep falling off.  Fortunately, they are plastic. If they were glass, then they would be shattering as they hit the floor.

image.thumb.jpeg.fabab759ff722cccf383b6228f1231d9.jpeg

c. Here is an image that might better help to visualize color temperature of a "perfect" radiator....

image.png.4e75aa2da04990384501207654d5339d.png

I am very dissatisfied with the quality I am getting by buying off Lazada.

I figure there MUST be at least a few OEM manufacturers in China which also sell the same quality through private label sales.... BUT...which brand is reliable, I don't know.  And, so far, it has been hit or miss (in my case, it's mostly hit AND miss).

• Love It 1

6 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I want light which is inexpensive to run, and will also enable me to read books.

I was under the impression the next thread of the OP was going to be about function, this one appears to be about form.

Are there two tangents operating in tandem?

Please be patient, and all shall be revealed in the near future (concerning the OP yet to come).

This OP is strictly about difficulties in buying reliable lighting...either through Lazada, or in the local stores of CM.

As I mentioned, I used to by the Panasonic bulbs...however...I think that it is possible that Panasonic has now stopped pursuing this sector. I have not seen any Panasonic bulbs in local stores for several years.  I see a lot of Philips bulbs, but I do not see the color temperature I want.

So, therefore, I am asking if anyone has found a decent brand name of LED bulb available on Lazada...at a very reasonable price.

• Love It 1

In my case, I happen to have 16 ceiling sockets in four rooms (including the kitchen).

I purchased 20 bulbs from Lazada from two different vendors.

This turned out to be a waste of money, since the quality is just very poor.

And, there is no easy way to know the quality in advance when buying online.

(ALSO!  How was I to know that the plastic outer "globes" covering the LEDs would start falling off when they got hot? I figure that when the bulbs became hot, then the adhesive must have deteriorated gradually, leading to the falling globes.  And further, I had paid to have someone climb up to fairly high ceilings to install these defective bulbs. Total waste of money and time!)

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Love It 1

26 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Oh how I long for the days when my gripes revolve around a damn light bulb.

Sure...

I guess I must admit that we sometimes complain in life about too many small issues, when in fact... there are far, FAR more serious things, and more valid things, to complain about (maybe such as potential health issuess, etc.).

However, it does become a bit frustrating trying to buy light bulbs WHEN there APPARENTLY seems to be no governing body that is responsible for doing standardized testing, or at least if there is such a body, then it has no real clout, apparently.

I bought 20 bulbs.

After two months of use, the globes fell off 3 of the 16 bulbs installed in the ceilings of four separate rooms.

So then...what do do?

Just order more from a different supplier?

And then wait around to see if the globes fall off, again?

And, for that matter...which supplier to order from?

There are MANY!

And, they are private label brands with, seemingly, no brand recognition.

At least, with Panasonic, I knew what I was getting each time I bought, because Panasonic does use statistical process control, and the products they offer are reliable from one shipment to the next.

Maybe light bulbs seem like a small thing.

However, they are not so small in that they add a lot to the comfort of a room (at least for me).

It's just a matter of being able to identify a reliable supplier...then problem solved.

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Love It 1

22 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I bought 20 bulbs.

After two months of use, the globes fell off 3 of the 16 bulbs installed in the ceilings of four separate rooms.

You purchased cheap crap, Nobody cares.

• Haha 1

For my purposes, I need to buy LED bulbs having a brightness of approximately 1800 lumens, which should approximately equivalent to a 125-watt incandescent light bulb (traditional tungsten filament bulb)...

image.png.7a713a63eb24a89b93550b5930cd02c1.png

However, the LED bulbs that I bought through Lazada state 1850 lumens, and these seem to be quite a bit less bright than a 125-watt traditional incandescent bulb. Why, I don't know. And, it is also the case that the LED bulbs do not maintain their brightness in some cases...

image.thumb.jpeg.2dc654560294a21d5a970a4a957b5d15.jpeg

Again...this is only my experience with having the plastic globes fall out of several bulbs.

And, I have not been able to measure the intensity/brightness of the bulbs in a quantitative way...since I do not have access to a lux meter.

• Love It 1

17 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

For my purposes, I need to buy LED bulbs having a brightness of approximately 1800 lumens, which should approximately equivalent to a 125-watt incandescent light bulb (traditional tungsten filament bulb)...

However, the LED bulbs that I bought through Lazada state 1850 lumens, and these seem to be quite a bit less bright than a 125-watt traditional incandescent bulb. Why, I don't know. And, it is also the case that the LED bulbs do not maintain their brightness in some cases...

Again...this is only my experience with having the plastic globes fall out of several bulbs.

And, I have not been able to measure the intensity/brightness of the bulbs in a quantitative way...since I do not have access to a lux meter.

You should be able to buy a lux meter on Lazada.

What's wrong with Philips as a reliable brand? Are you a troglodyte, that your requirements are so particular?

If, as has been stated above, the LED bulbs that I purchased are "cheap crap", then what is the alternative?  GE recently sold off its interest in LED bulb manufacture to Savant. Still, one can buy the GE brand, but maybe not on Lazada.  IS there a decent bulb to be had from an online store?

The price of the GE bulbs are not cheap.

20 LED bulbs would cost USD680.00, at least if bought on Amazon.  And that is just for a 60-watt equivalent, not a 125-watt equivalent, which is what I need.

image.png.b0c000f3abff845959249895e0e78883.png

• Love It 1

28 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

The Y on the part number = yellow.

That would be why you are not happy with the intensity/brightness.

Edited by Ralf001

This thread, with its strict attention to light quality, is beginning to remind me of a male version of Hyacinth Bucket's candlelit suppers. Are you entertaining the other gender, prior to showing them your stamp collection, GG? All unperforated, of course.

8 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

You should be able to buy a lux meter on Lazada.

What's wrong with Philips as a reliable brand? Are you a troglodyte, that your requirements are so particular?

I checked Philips already, many months ago. Philips does not have the lumens I need.  And, the color temp is wrong. (I need LED bulbs for ceiling sockets on high ceilings. 100-watt equivalent is not sufficient intensity.)

image.png.84f325d68f677162f66c9eaaa1201e10.png

• Love It 1

6 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

The Y on the part number = yellow.

That would be why you are not happy with the intensity/brightness.

Thank you but please check the image of the top cover (flap) of this box.  This box/bulb CLEARLY states 3000K.  And, 3000K is definitely not yellow.

Anyway, as has been stated, this is crap, correct?

So, I am just trying to find a decent solution that would not cost me USD35.00 to USD50.00 per bulb, and which meets reasonable quality criteria.

• Love It 1

7 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Thank you but please check the image of the top cover (flap) of this box.  This box/bulb CLEARLY states 3000K.  And, 3000K is definitely not yellow.

Anyway, as has been stated, this is crap, correct?

So, I am just trying to find a decent solution that would not cost me USD35.00 to USD50.00 per bulb, and which meets reasonable quality criteria.

buy without the y in the part number they are 6500k daylight.

image.png.125e30305a0517a63a425f8ab8376587.png

30 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

buy without the y in the part number they are 6500k daylight.

image.png.125e30305a0517a63a425f8ab8376587.png

Thank you very much...however...as stated above: I want the same "color" as the traditional tungsten filament incandescent light bulb I have been using for over six decades. 

If I buy a 6500K color temperature, then it would be pointless, because it would not suit my needs.

I also stated that I had used the Panasonic (spiral series) in the past, and was always very happy with the Panasonic quality. I had ZERO COMPLAINTS (ZERO).

The store Ban and Beyond used to carry the bulb years ago, but the store in CM no longer seems to carry Panasonic (at least when I last checked).

Here is what I used to use:

image.png.007817195a9ca2b5aa4fbec24a5740ac.png

And I thought this bulb was... EXCELLENT...and the best I had found to replicate the tungsten filament incandescent bulb.

You may not recall the old times, about 15 years ago, when the incandescent bulb was being phased out....EVERYBODY began hording bulbs in the USA...as I recall it.

image.png.27e1e7dda6a38d2852b83ce3c9bf418e.png

Above image taken from this url:  https://midcenturymodernmag.com/so-i-hoard-incandescent-light-bulbs-418213a8340c

Well I was not in the USA at the time, but I heard about it.

I never went so far as to hoard light bulbs, because I care about energy efficiency.

I was just happy when I found a bulb, the Panasonic bulb, which seemed a happy medium, meeting the requirement for a more efficient bulb, and also being somewhat OK from a color point of view.

I would really prefer to find an LED which is as good as the Panasonic CFL bulb, one that is reliable as the Panasonic, yet even more energy saving than the CFL bulb.

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Love It 1

This bulb, although not LED, is still available at this store. It is not quite as efficient as an LED. The color temp is 2700K.  The price is quite low compared to what I recall it selling for in the CM retail store several years ago.  In the past, I purchased many.  And, in fact, they do last a long time. This seems like a good buy, and a reliable product compared to the LEDs I purchased from Lazada.  The price is lower than the LED bulbs.

image.png.d4965342dc404f79de1327b941ba6aaf.png

• Love It 1

6 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

This bulb, although not LED, is still available at this store. It is not quite as efficient as an LED. The color temp is 2700K.  The price is quite low compared to what I recall it selling for in the CM retail store several years ago.  In the past, I purchased many.  And, in fact, they do last a long time. This seems like a good buy, and a reliable product compared to the LEDs I purchased from Lazada.  The price is lower than the LED bulbs.

So, buy a couple to ensure they really do spectrally match your eyesight. Then you can see whilst continuing your quest for the holy grail.

Related anecdote

Some years ago, a mate was commissioned by a client with a very specific requirement for some LED lamps.

The LEDs had to match the spectrum of under-run incandescent lamps, the things you see on many fairground rides (think 220V incandescent lamp in a 120V fitting). He called the client "The Mouse" so I think you can work out who it was.

I still have some of the samples and he had dozens made all slightly different colours.

Sadly, he never actually came up with a colour that satisfied the client (they all looked pretty close to me) and the project died.

@GammaGlobulin you didn't used to work for a theme-park company, did you?

15 minutes ago, Crossy said:

So, buy a couple to ensure they really do spectrally match your eyesight. Then you can see whilst continuing your quest for the holy grail.

Related anecdote

Some years ago, a mate was commissioned by a client with a very specific requirement for some LED lamps.

The LEDs had to match the spectrum of under-run incandescent lamps, the things you see on many fairground rides (think 220V incandescent lamp in a 120V fitting). He called the client "The Mouse" so I think you can work out who it was.

I still have some of the samples and he had dozens made all slightly different colours.

Sadly, he never actually came up with a colour that satisfied the client (they all looked pretty close to me) and the project died.

@GammaGlobulin you didn't used to work for a theme-park company, did you?

I never worked for a theme park.

However, maybe some readers here believe I work in the carnival (freak show, maybe).

Anyway, good suggestion about buying one or two before buying 20 bulbs.

However, I already know what the 25 watts bulb is like because I have used it since about 2015...and it's a great and reliable bulb for me.

I tried, just now, to register an account with DoHome and it went through.

Then ordered 20 bulbs.

But, they want pre-payment which is something I never do with online purchases.

So, I will try to find the same thing, maybe on Lazada.  But I have not seen this bulb after searching.

I will try calling the DoHome retail outlet here, and see what happens.

I certainly would rather not buy 20 bulbs if I know that this product will continue to be "in-stock" for the next few years.

Otherwise...I will buy more and then hoard them!

• Love It 1