Which LED Light Bulbs in Thailand Most Closely Replicate The FEEL of The Old Incandescent Bulbs? (Same Question: Fluorescent Tube Lighting?)

GammaGlobulin

4 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

(ALSO!  How was I to know that the plastic outer "globes" covering the LEDs would start falling off when they got hot? I figure that when the bulbs became hot, then the adhesive must have deteriorated gradually, leading to the falling globes.  And further, I had paid to have someone climb up to fairly high ceilings to install these defective bulbs. Total waste of money and time!)

LED bulbs should not get hot enough to burn you, or melt any glue.

I have many standard globe shaped bulbs, which I have fitted into the old downlight fittings so only the round part is showing. They are RGB WiFi controllable to any colour or brightness you want, can be programmed to turn on and off as wanted, and four of them on 10% are plenty for my large lounge, 2 for bedroom, and virtually invisible. Less than Bht 200 each on Lazada. No problems with them at all in three years.

I

IMG_20230802_091444.jpg

Probably the problem you are having is that the light from different sources has very different characteristics.

The traditional tungsten filament lamp is between 2700-3200K depending on the age of the bulb. Also the light is produced in a smoothish curve. The problem you are having is that the phosphors of fluorescent bulbs are all different depending on the maker for example Sylvania's Daylight CFLs have a colour temperature of 3500, every maker is different, and the phosphors don’t produce a smooth gradient. 

With LEDs you have even greater differences. There are thousands, if not hundreds of thousands, of different makers of the lights using hundreds of different LED chips again coated with different phosphors and many different power supplies. The vast majority will over run the LED chips to produce a brighter light, this means that in time (not too much) the output will dim.

So the question is can you get long lasting warm white bulbs? The answer is yes but you will have to pay for them and they are not available in the high power units you want. The price per bulb (in the U.K. )is about ฿450 IMG_6123.thumb.jpeg.47c8222bedaa8aaf158a7dd076ee818a.jpeg

the lower wattage you can overcome simply by adding more bulbs. The fact that they are clear you can overcome be changing the fixtures you are using, this will reduce the light output so just add more fixtures.

The problem you will have is that these bulbs are not sold in Thailand so you will have to find another way to get the hundred or so bulbs and pay the more than 50,000 Baht to get them

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

I actually just purchased 15 Panasonic 25 Watt bulbs, the type you linked.

Good deal at the price I paid.

I will leave the LEDs for another day, several years in the future, no doubt.

The Panasonic bulbs last a long time.

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Like 1
  • Love It 1

1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Probably the problem you are having is that the light from different sources has very different characteristics.

The traditional tungsten filament lamp is between 2700-3200K depending on the age of the bulb. Also the light is produced in a smoothish curve. The problem you are having is that the phosphors of fluorescent bulbs are all different depending on the maker for example Sylvania's Daylight CFLs have a colour temperature of 3500, every maker is different, and the phosphors don’t produce a smooth gradient. 

With LEDs you have even greater differences. There are thousands, if not hundreds of thousands, of different makers of the lights using hundreds of different LED chips again coated with different phosphors and many different power supplies. The vast majority will over run the LED chips to produce a brighter light, this means that in time (not too much) the output will dim.

So the question is can you get long lasting warm white bulbs? The answer is yes but you will have to pay for them and they are not available in the high power units you want. The price per bulb (in the U.K. )is about ฿450 IMG_6123.thumb.jpeg.47c8222bedaa8aaf158a7dd076ee818a.jpeg

the lower wattage you can overcome simply by adding more bulbs. The fact that they are clear you can overcome be changing the fixtures you are using, this will reduce the light output so just add more fixtures.

The problem you will have is that these bulbs are not sold in Thailand so you will have to find another way to get the hundred or so bulbs and pay the more than 50,000 Baht to get them

Good and detailed information about several points, including why LED bulbs dim over time.

Presently, having just this morning purchased 15 of these bulbs at DoHome, the same Panasonic bulbs I have used in the past, I know pretty much what to expect.

image.png.2a1f3685bc1a0b65124f37d1b2524a28.png

Thank you for the information.

Edited by GammaGlobulin

Having already mentioned blackbody radiation in the OP, this is a simple and short but rather good UTUBE intro to black-body radiation.

Trying to describe colors using words instead of using wavelengths of light is not very helpful.

But how does temperature affect the light emitted by a black-body, for example....

Back-body radiation is usually of most interest to first-year astronomy students.

But light-bulb buyers can also enjoy and benefit from learning about black-body radiation.

My advice is that, before you visit HomePro to buy the LED bulbs they have for sale, first refer to the following three key equations shown in the image below:

image.png.9fff781d05135109d8138bd16e6c7da0.png

Then, watch this really nice UTUBE video. I searched through about 10 before I came upon this one:

I think it's always best to be prepared before entering the shop to spend your cash.

The video is very well presented and worth watching.

As I mentioned, this is mostly of interest to first-year astronomy students, but it also applies to buying lightbulbs, and it's a fun video presentation, as well.

• Love It 1

9 hours ago, Lacessit said:

This thread, with its strict attention to light quality, is beginning to remind me of a male version of Hyacinth Bucket's candlelit suppers. Are you entertaining the other gender, prior to showing them your stamp collection, GG?

One must be strict about lighting if one hopes to attract the other gender, meaning the "right" gender, and of the right class. Here is what I mean, and such a woman is definitely for me:

image.png.3f7b6edfe8fc9cf1a7eb6e7c83f4c656.png

She's even reading, A Woman of Her Times!

Lighting is far more important than most plebeians can ever know. They are satisfied with ultra-white fluorescent lights, no less.

In our house, there were no fixtures for fluorescent lights, except for one above a workbench in the garage.

I like soft lighting, just as I prefer soft women. What type of a woman do you imagine would be willing to sit with you under a 40-Baht florescent tube? The answer is obvious.

image.png.b1dcd5f5dea3fe97d284b85ca3f78231.png

Some here have said they prefer 8000K. Well why stop there? There must be women you can find here who enjoy 10,000K, in small bills.

It's just a matter of taste.

Some have it, and some do not.

image.png.04837feec5f6d7057a18fad2cf1a50cd.png

A petrol station is no place to relax and read or entertain guests.

And a home is no place for fluorescent lighting.

6500K LED lights just do not fit the ambiance suggested  by the above three images.

Or, maybe I'm the only one left in this world that has just a bit of an eye for beauty, as well as a more refined aesthetic sense.

I mean, it might seem that way to some, just judging by some of the commenters who would only use warm lighting under duress.

Just curious too about why anyone would use lighting under duress.

I never would, and so I spent a few hours today finding the least objectionable type of light bulb available in Thailand.

Those Panasonic SOFT & WARM CFLs are really not so bad.

SOFT & WARM...that's the way to go,

Unless you want to wind up with a hard woman.

But maybe that's just their taste in women.

Maybe they like hard women and hard lighting, and harsh shadows, too.

• Love It 1

10 hours ago, Lacessit said:

This thread, with its strict attention to light quality, is beginning to remind me of a male version of Hyacinth Bucket's candlelit suppers. Are you entertaining the other gender, prior to showing them your stamp collection, GG? All unperforated, of course.

For the uninitiated, "Bucket" is pronounced as "Bouquet".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyacinth_Bucket

A very British sitcom!

42 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

One must be strict about lighting if one hopes to attract the other gender, meaning the "right" gender, and of the right class. Here is what I mean, and such a woman is definitely for me:

image.png.3f7b6edfe8fc9cf1a7eb6e7c83f4c656.png

She's even reading, A Woman of Her Times!

Lighting is far more important than most plebeians can ever know. They are satisfied with ultra-white fluorescent lights, no less.

In our house, there were no fixtures for fluorescent lights, except for one above a workbench in the garage.

I like soft lighting, just as I prefer soft women. What type of a woman do you imagine would be willing to sit with you under a 40-Baht florescent tube? The answer is obvious.

image.png.b1dcd5f5dea3fe97d284b85ca3f78231.png

Some here have said they prefer 8000K. Well why stop there? There must be women you can find here who enjoy 10,000K, in small bills.

It's just a matter of taste.

Some have it, and some do not.

image.png.04837feec5f6d7057a18fad2cf1a50cd.png

A petrol station is no place to relax and read or entertain guests.

And a home is no place for fluorescent lighting.

6500K LED lights just do not fit the ambiance suggested  by the above three images.

Or, maybe I'm the only one left in this world that has just a bit of an eye for beauty, as well as a more refined aesthetic sense.

I mean, it might seem that way to some, just judging by some of the commenters who would only use warm lighting under duress.

Just curious too about why anyone would use lighting under duress.

I never would, and so I spent a few hours today finding the least objectionable type of light bulb available in Thailand.

Those Panasonic SOFT & WARM CFLs are really not so bad.

SOFT & WARM...that's the way to go,

Unless you want to wind up with a hard woman.

But maybe that's just their taste in women.

Maybe they like hard women and hard lighting, and harsh shadows, too.

I like women with no lighting at all, apart from what is provided by nature.

A warm woman is mandatory, I prefer trim. There is such a thing as too soft, and too much.

8 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Of course! How could I miss that ???? 

It brings back memories of watching them live.

They did sight gags and asides not in that video. The "unperforated" aside was just one of them.

In the video, Flanders says gin affects his finesse. On stage, the word was prowess.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Which LED Light Bulbs in Thailand Most Closely Replicate The FEEL of The Old Incandescent Bulbs?

And which modern cars drive like a 1962 Morris Minor? 555

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

It brings back memories of watching them live.

They did sight gags and asides not in that video. The "unperforated" aside was just one of them.

In the video, Flanders says gin affects his finesse. On stage, the word was prowess.

Sadly, I'm too young to have seen them live and there are very few videos of them performing ???? 

But I was brought (dragged) up on a diet of The Hippopotamus Song, Spider in the Bath, The Gnu Song, Transport of Delight (dad was a bus driver, so I understand every single reference) and, of course, The Gasman Cometh (as true today as it's always been).

They just don't make 'em like that anymore ???? 

EDIT Add into the mix (not Flanders and Swann) Hole in the Ground, Right Said Fred (the original), My Brother, Banana Boat Song (Speedy Gonzales and Bugs Bunny version) and Gossip Calypso and we have a 1960's UK childhood.

15 hours ago, Crossy said:

Sadly, I'm too young to have seen them live and there are very few videos of them performing ???? 

I didn’t realise that I predated you by that much! As I well remember being taken to one of the Shaftesbury Avenue theatres by my mother and watching “At The Drop of a Hat” then going to Soho for an authentic Chinese meal. We had the 2 LPs and the grooves were practically worn flat. We also had “The Bestiary Of Flanders And Swann" and the Wompom was my favourite. That and reading the 6 books of Lord of the Rings that we bought in hard cover and with 6 people reading the a few times a year wore them out.

15 hours ago, Crossy said:

EDIT Add into the mix (not Flanders and Swann) Hole in the Ground, Right Said Fred (the original), My Brother, Banana Boat Song (Speedy Gonzales and Bugs Bunny version) and Gossip Calypso and we have a 1960's UK childhood.

I never watched  “At The Drop of another Hat” but my father organised my being an extra in both “Hard Days Night” and “Help” when I was about 12.

The other claim to fame I have is getting a personally signed copy of The Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy double album from WH Smith’s in High Street Kensington IMG_6131.thumb.jpeg.eedf62f4b144d3f9d21b98bdd2c128ef.jpeg

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

I didn’t realise that I predated you by that much!

Yeah, you've got maybe 7 years on me.

Flanders and Swann gave their last live performance in April 1967, I would have been 8 ????

19 hours ago, Crossy said:

Of course! How could I miss that ???? 

They don't write 'em like this any more mainly because they are both brown bread,. Absolutely brilliant. Thanks.

Edited by KannikaP

UPDATE:  The 15 Panasonic Light bulbs are almost here.

Note:  There is no way I would have purchased these light bulbs, thusly solving my light bulb problem, had it not been for this great thread. And, I would like to thank everyone involved.

Photo:  My DoHome Delivery girl LINE message.  She's a girl, and not a guy, this time. So much better, I hope.

image.thumb.png.a7089099cb0b3fc00fdfd81d86b5d171.png

The first shipment of 15 CFLs by PANASONIC purchased at DoHome...arrived this afternoon.

DoHome still sells these, surprisingly, and I have begun some minor hoarding.

I just placed an order for five more CFL lamps from the same supplier.

DoHome doesn't mess around; They delivered ONTIME, using a great delivery boy...very polite, well-dressed, and intelligent, too. I was impressed.

He made me sign my name to SEVEN different forms upon delivery, something I found truly remarkable.

image.thumb.jpeg.fd504e9eda80243081f966ec8ce949e2.jpeg

I have been using these lamps since 2013, I think.

I liked them so much that I actually took four or five last time I travelled to China for a year.

If I were to choose LED light bulbs, then I could probably expect the same light intensity for about 18 watts, versus these which consume 25 watts.

For me, a person of refined aesthetic sensibilities, the additional 6 watts of juice to run these is WELL WORTH the added expense.

Also, by this Sunday, I will have a total of 20 Panasonic lamps, each tested to provide 10,000 hours of Soft Warm light.

If I only use these lamps in my five ceiling sockets in the office, then, in theory, the two shipments, totaling 20 lamps, should last me about 40,000 hours.

And if I run them, on average, 12 hours per day, I will not run out of these bulbs until the year: 2033

Now, my main concern, which will probably keep me up at night, same as with my 20-year refrigerator warranty, is....

Will I be able to live long enough to outlive the lifespan of these Panasonic lamps?

The answer, my friends, will be determined by my ability to continue living a good and clean life.

So far, so good.

And, I do not believe that only the good die young.

(Now I am wondering what kind of new light bulbs we will see in the year 2033.)

A word about HOARDING Behavior:

Although I am not a typical hoarder filling my house with useless items, like 10,000 balls, for example.

I still do sometimes hoard things like lightbulbs when I find one I like, and one that seems to be discontinued. In this case, from what I can gather, the Panasonic bulbs that I purchased this week are no longer being manufactured.  Therefore, since I really like them, and since they have proven so reliable, and since they put out 2700K light, I have purchased 20 lamps, instead of just a few.  This number will probably last me about 10 to 15 years.

Of course, there are other examples of hoarding which I do not condone.

I am speaking of behavior such as hoarding TOILET PAPER.

This happened in the USA, for example.

But here in Thailand, there is really no need to hard toilet paper.

Because, here in Thailand, we have the ubiquitous BUM GUN.

Speaking of hoarding BALLS, I love the great HOARDING FILM about the Collyer Brothers and their balls:

I am sure this will never happen to me.

I only hoard light bulbs.

• Sad 1

On 8/2/2023 at 9:19 AM, KannikaP said:

They are RGB WiFi controllable to any colour or brightness you want, can be programmed to turn on and off as wanted, and four of them on 10% are plenty for my large lounge, 2 for bedroom, and virtually invisible. Less than Bht 200 each on Lazada.

Any possibility of you sharing a (Lazada) LINK to the identical product you are using?

No doubt there are those here that might want to try one or two...(for sure).

7 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Any possibility of you sharing a (Lazada) LINK to the identical product you are using?

No doubt there are those here that might want to try one or two...(for sure).

There are many vendors selling these bulbs on Lazada. Look for a lot of stars, a lot of purchases, and good reviews. And delivery from Thailand, not overseas (China) but which is where they will actually come from.

• Thanks 1

I would never buy a bulb on Lazada, unless it's Philips Hue and they cost thousands, you just don't know where they have been. Vast majority are low quality Chinese made goods, pretending to be the genuine article.

I would go to HomePro where the staff will plug the bulb into an electric outlet, you can see the color and the intensity and can compare with other brands.

Also, be aware that one manufacturers 3000K might not be another's 3000K. YMMV.

Personally I prefer 3000-4500K temperature. The warm white. At home I have mostly Philips Hue, where I can set the temperature and intensity individually for each bulb. It's not for everyone though, as it can be quite costly for a larger setup.

Buying on Lazada will save you very little, in most cases less than a beer.

14 minutes ago, SpaceKadet said:

I would never buy a bulb on Lazada, unless it's Philips Hue and they cost thousands, you just don't know where they have been. Vast majority are low quality Chinese made goods, pretending to be the genuine article.

I would go to HomePro where the staff will plug the bulb into an electric outlet, you can see the color and the intensity and can compare with other brands.

Also, be aware that one manufacturers 3000K might not be another's 3000K. YMMV.

Personally I prefer 3000-4500K temperature. The warm white. At home I have mostly Philips Hue, where I can set the temperature and intensity individually for each bulb. It's not for everyone though, as it can be quite costly for a larger setup.

Buying on Lazada will save you very little, in most cases less than a beer.

My terrible experience after buying Lazada-supplied LEDs proves you correct.

a. Plastic globes falling from the ceiling sockets like rain...

b. Color designation completely inaccurate 

c. I did buy a few LEDs from HomePro, but the quality of the brand was not to my liking.

d. I prefer the stable and good quality manufactured under the Panasonic brand. However, as I mentioned above, I have not seen them for sale in the local stores, with the exception of the 20 Panasonic lamps I purchased this week.

Edited by GammaGlobulin