Yeast flour

Aatsi

As hotchilli said, flour and bottles of dry yeast are available in most supermarkets such as Lotus's, Big C, Villa, and Foodland.

Simple bread recipes require 1% to 1.5% of the weight of flour. If you're using 1 kilo of flour, that means you need only 10 to 15 grams of yeast.  For Imperial measurements about 1/4 ounce of yeast for 6 1/2 cups of flour.  Be sure to proof the yeast before adding it to your flour.  If you want a lighter softer bread than you get with normal flour then a good trick to use about 1/8 to 1/4 cake flour.

Look at this internet link for a bunch of Imperial measurement recipes:  Allrecipes Bread Recipes or at Better Holmes and Garden Bread Recipes.

I got a bread machine 12 years ago but it doesn't knead the dough enough so I went back to kneading by hand, which is a good workout.  Perhaps newer bread machines are better.

This weekend I am making Better Holmes and Garden Corn Bread to go with the chili con carny I am making.   I frequently spread molasses on the corn bread to sweeten it (see last paragraph of post) when I eat corn bread with chili con carne or stew.

I know this is a complete change of subject so stop here if not interested. 

For chili con carny I roughly follow this chili recipe - Errens Kitchen - Classic Chili Con Carne.  I will only use caned whole tomatoes since I find the crushed tomatoes in the Thai brand I buy are too bitter but the whole tomatoes are fine.  I usually add both chopped  bell pepper and the larger green Thai chilies (about 4" long).

In the morning I pour the liquid from the tomatoes into my Crockpot slow cooker (set to low) then crush the tomatoes with my hand and add them.  I caramelize the onions, then add the peppers and Thai chillis, cooking until they are soft then transferring all of this to my Crockpot.  Next is to caramelize (i.e. brown) the ground meat then add spices and garlic to the browned meat and heat for only a minute or two more (no longer or you may burn the garlic and make it taste bitter) before adding to the Crockpot.  Next add the stock - beef, pork, or chicken stock depending what ground meat I use (try a white chili someday).  I leave the Crockpot on low all day long.

I soak dried kidney beans overnight then cook them separately from the chili so I can control how done they are. About 30 minutes before serving I add as much of the beans as I want to the chili, along with enough of their cooking liquid to give the chili the right consistence.

Before serving always taste and correct the salt and spices if necessary.  I want my chili spicy and I love the taste of cumin in chili so I usually add more of these, but then I need to cook for another 10-15 minutes so the flavors blend.  Adding a bit of sugar may help to bring out the taste of the tomatoes and give the chili a slightly sweet flavor.  I add apple cider vinegar when serving to offset the sweetness from the exces sugar and add a bit of a sweet/sour punch to the chili.  Sour cream or plain yogurt on top, and shredded cheddar cheese if desired.  Goes perfectly with the cornbread.

You can get Blue Label Australian Black Strap Molasses, which tastes a bit bitter, at Villa. - I like the bitterness.  These are also available: From Lazada -Grandma's Molasses Original 355 ml. Gold standard Since 1890 or From Lazada - Brer Rabbit Molasses Full Flavor แบร แรบบิท โมลาสเสส ฟูล เฟลเวอร์ 355ml.  You can also get Blackstrap Molasses จากกลุ่มน้ำตาลมิตรผล วัตถุดิบกากน้ำตาล (from Mitr Phol Sugar Group) Food grade สำหรับทำอาหาร ขนาด (molasses raw materials for cooking, size) 500ml from Lazada, but I haven't tried it.

@HarrySeaman

Makro has better selection of flour (bread) and yeast (500g packs) than the other vendors, in my experience.  Depending on sugar content, if any (I don't use), then that will dictate which yeast to buy.

If not Makro, google baking supply store near you, as I now buy our flour there, 10% less than Makro.  I have to get my yeast on line, and nobody carries it now.

I use fermipan red (low sugar) yeast.  Package color distinguishes which sugar content to use with.  Store your yeast in the freezer.

My basic recipe is simply 4 ingredients:

four ... 500g

salt ... 10g

yeast ... 10g

water ... 350g

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1