Weird Ebay Story

This is what happened to me this week. I registered as an ebay seller, registered with Paypal and this was verified using my web card. Then I linked the two accounts as instructed and proceeded to post an item to sell. I kept getting the message that my paypal account was not verified, however it was so I contacted ebay's support and told them of the problem. They told me to delete all my paypal addresses and reenter the information. I did this and tried to post an item to sell again but the same thing happened. A short time later I received an email from ebay stating that my account was suspended for violating their policies and spirit.

I have since appealed and am waiting to hear from them. Wondered if anyone else has experienced this weird bevaiour?

This is what happened to me this week. I registered as an ebay seller, registered with Paypal and this was verified using my web card. Then I linked the two accounts as instructed and proceeded to post an item to sell. I kept getting the message that my paypal account was not verified, however it was so I contacted ebay's support and told them of the problem. They told me to delete all my paypal addresses and reenter the information. I did this and tried to post an item to sell again but the same thing happened. A short time later I received an email from ebay stating that my account was suspended for violating their policies and spirit.

I have since appealed and am waiting to hear from them. Wondered if anyone else has experienced this weird bevaiour?

The following is the email I received

Your eBay account has been suspended. eBay took this action after determining that your account was acting inconsistently with the letter or spirit of our policies.

You are prohibited from using eBay in any way. This includes using another existing account or registering a new account.

Any seller fees that are still owed are due to eBay immediately. eBay will charge any amounts that you have not previously disputed to the billing method that is currently on file.

Sincerely,

eBay Trust & Safety

I should mention also that I have never bought or sold an item on ebay nor made or received any feedback. All I did was contact their support desk and they also sent me a survey asking if I was satisfied with their service!!!!!!

Something very similar happened to me :o

I guess as soon as you mention Thailand, warning bells start ringing and you need to send in copies of all sorts of documents before they approve you.

Hm. some how they think you're some body you are not.

Well, as far as they never saw you in person, I can assume that

1. The local adress

2. The nick name

3. The real name

4. The Trojan on your computer (very likely)

5. Divine intervention - you're prohibited from any trade by higher being (very unlikely)

Hm. some how they think you're some body you are not.

Well, as far as they never saw you in person, I can assume that

1. The local adress

2. The nick name

3. The real name

4. The Trojan on your computer (very likely)

5. Divine intervention - you're prohibited from any trade by higher being (very unlikely)

It is happening right now in Australia, with exactly the same email being sent to several friends of mine, also who have done nothing wrong. It seems to be linked to their email address being changed somehow. I don;'t think it is related to Thailand alone.

It happens. Just their flags and tripwires. If all of your info is legit and you go through the annoying fax in process (whether it's with eBay or Paypal... similar hoops since they are the same company), it'll get cleared up. Remember that you're mostly dealing with a warehouse of computers and not actual people unless you have a problem.

:o

How was your account "verified"? I had to charge $5 US to my card and wait until I got the bill, then email a code to Paypal before my account was verified. Took a month. Then there was a problem because my mailing address and billing address were different. Mailing address said #3, billing said Room 3. Finally got it straightened out, no problems since- about 2 years.

Possibly a spoof email, they look real. Some people are phishing for information, and you may have clicked on their link. Always check your my messages in my ebay to verify that ebay sent it. If they sent it, there will be a copy in your messages. Otherwise, you are sending your info to a scammer. Good luck.

The following is the email I received

Your eBay account has been suspended. eBay took this action after determining that your account was acting inconsistently with the letter or spirit of our policies.

You are prohibited from using eBay in any way. This includes using another existing account or registering a new account.

Any seller fees that are still owed are due to eBay immediately. eBay will charge any amounts that you have not previously disputed to the billing method that is currently on file.

Sincerely,

eBay Trust & Safety

I should mention also that I have never bought or sold an item on ebay nor made or received any feedback. All I did was contact their support desk and they also sent me a survey asking if I was satisfied with their service!!!!!!

It happens. Just their flags and tripwires. If all of your info is legit and you go through the annoying fax in process (whether it's with eBay or Paypal... similar hoops since they are the same company), it'll get cleared up. Remember that you're mostly dealing with a warehouse of computers and not actual people unless you have a problem.

Yes, I second this. Something must have fallen outside the lines so the automated stuff kicked it out. Since scammers are not going to be as persistent as legitimate people, this is a good pre screen. Unfortunately if you fall outside the lines these days, it's like dealing with a government bureacracy. Sometimes its easier than you think, sometimes harder than you've ever imagined.

As LPCustom69 says, you could coincidentally have received a phishing email as well. Although thats and odd phishing one.

This has exactly what to do with Thailand?

What is it with people like you????????? You read the title, which has nothing to do with Thailand yet still log on and have to post something so pathetic. Have you no other life that you feel you have to this. This is a Forum for mainly Farang expats. Sometimes we like to talk of things to do with that fact. They may have nothing to do with Thailand but be of some concern to farangs from a certain country. There are lots of postings which have little or nothing to do with Thailand. If you dont want to read anything thats got nothing to do with Thailand DONT!!!!!! :o

As an update to my original post, having sent at least ten mails to ebay asking what's going on, I have heard nothing. So I googled ebay suspensions and there are thousands of people who claim to have been suspended for no reason. I even found a couple who say they only just registered and were suspended hours later. Could this be the face of things to come I wonder?

I personally would consider it a lucky escape.

I have known many people loose money or goods via Ebay and even if they end up getting compensated, it still ends up a load of hassle and worry.

I think an earlier poster was onto something re the code number required to register your paypal account.

Also as stated, trying to register twice has probably set off an automated alarm.

Just your experience in trying to get satisfaction from Ebay over registration should, perhaps, give you a clue as to how complaints and disputes may end up.

I know many people have great Ebay experiences, but I am one of those miserable types who hate to be turned over :o

Edited by Cobalt60