Overseas when non-O to be renewed

I am thinking of traveling overseas between February and July 2024. My non-O retirement visa needs to be renewed in April, is there a way to do this while I am overseas, or do I need to return?

Thanks in advance.

• Confused 2

27 minutes ago, OzMan said:

I am thinking of traveling overseas between February and July 2024. My non-O retirement visa needs to be renewed in April

Exactly what dates of exit from Thailand and  expiry of current permission of stay. 

19 minutes ago, treetops said:

Dependant on where you're based you may be able to do it up to 90 days early, so January/February befoe you travel might be possible.  Jomtien is one office said to be willing to do it this early.

45 at Jomtiem

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, treetops said:

Dependant on where you're based you may be able to do it up to 90 days early, so January/February befoe you travel might be possible.  Jomtien is one office said to be willing to do it this early.

It's worth asking your local Imm Office if they would be willing to make an exception on their standard application window (which is normally 30 or 45 days before due date) for a 1-year extension application, and allow you to do it earlier due to your planned leave abroad. 

But that would probably only be possible for a 1-year extension for reason of retirement (as such extension does not have an 'under consideration' period, like a marriage one).

Note 1: It is not possible to do the application while abroad.

Note 2: When you are married to a Thai national or have Thai dependant children and you did not use it earlier on your current string of Permissions to stay, you could apply at your local Imm Office for a 60-day extension of stay for reason of family visit.  When approved those 60 days will be added to your current Permission to stay due date, which would bring that due date to June,. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, treetops said:

I have been offered 90 at my last two renewals (via agent).

You left out important word in your first post that was included in this one "AGENT" 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

You could exit without a reentry permit and return visa exempt.

Obtaining new non O at your immigration office

If I exit without a re-entry permit and obtain a new non-O after I arrive, will I need health insurance as I do not need this currently?

Your extension and any re-entries you might have expires on the last day of said extension, and you have to start over again, My extension expired while I was out of the country last summer because I was in a third country as a tourist and did not want to bother getting a non O visa , I came back wisa exempt and started the process again, but it was not a big deal and not that much more work.

Mine was moree marriage and I always have the funds in the bank. 

16 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

Ask them and they will say 30 days. This year they processed mine at 32 days prior.

45 days is the 'official' Thai Immigration number.

Can you show me where it officialy says that? I can not seem to find it on the Immigration website.

56 minutes ago, bigt3116 said:

Can you show me where it officialy says that? I can not seem to find it on the Immigration website.

I will find the Thai Immigration Bureau reference when I have time and post it up.

Buriram Immigration did mine 40 days early on one occasion.

In the meantime you will see 45 days referenced here from the Key Visa website:-

https://www.keyvisathailand.com/services/retirement-visa-in-thailand/

How to renew your retirement visa extension

Your visa extension based on retirement is valid for one year, it’s important that coming up to that time of renewal, you start to make proper plans to renew it.

Currently, you can apply to renew your visa 45 days before it expires. You should renew as early as possible and not leave it to the last minute.

Also Pattaya Expats Club:-

https://pcec.club/Extending-Stay

How early before the extension expires may I renew it?

Usually you can apply for renewal from 30 to 45 days before the end of your extension period - Chonburi (Pattaya) Immigration will only do it up to 30 days early. When renewing an extension, the new period begins at the expiration of the current extension period.

Edited by hotandsticky

3 hours ago, OzMan said:

If I exit without a re-entry permit and obtain a new non-O after I arrive, will I need health insurance as I do not need this currently?

You will not require any insurance for a non O obtained in Thailand also none for 12 month Extensions 

On 8/5/2023 at 9:20 AM, Pattaya57 said:

How long before you get your passport back? Defeats the purpose if not immediately as he's leaving the country

Usually ~ 24 hours after dropping it off.

On 8/5/2023 at 9:22 AM, DrJack54 said:

You left out important word in your first post that was included in this one "AGENT" 

An agent offered the service to me but that doesn't preclude it being offered direct from immigration.  OP can always ask.

7 minutes ago, treetops said:

An agent offered the service to me but that doesn't preclude it being offered direct from immigration.  OP can always ask.

Which agent and how much did it cost.

This is not a new situation regarding desire to obtain extension early for various reasons.

The most common one being need to travel prior to the 30/45 days prior. 

Then you flop out that you had it done 90 days early. 

Never read of one post remotely similar. 

Edited by DrJack54

3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Which agent and how much did it cost.

This is not a new situation regarding desire to obtain extension early for various reasons.

The most common one being need to travel prior to the 30/45 days prior. 

Then you flop out that you had it done 90 days early. 

Never read of one post remotely similar. 

Maneerat at the same cost as a "regular" extension.

I never had it done, but it was offered when we discussed it.  My renewal falls at a time of year I usually travel so I have to juggle things a bit to keep things right.  Maneerat offered this proactively as if was an everyday occurrence for them.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, treetops said:

Maneerat at the same cost as a "regular" extension.

I never had it done, but it was offered when we discussed it.  My renewal falls at a time of year I usually travel so I have to juggle things a bit to keep things right.  Maneerat offered this proactively as if was an everyday occurrence for them.

There are two threads regarding applying way early such as 90 days.

Both are using agents and both are at Jomtien immigration. 

Your experience provides good advice for that office and doing extensions using agent.

Does narrow the field for others not in Pattaya. 

Maneerat so approx 13k.

Shows another added bonus using agent. 

Edited by DrJack54

On 8/5/2023 at 2:03 PM, OzMan said:

I am thinking of traveling overseas between February and July 2024. My non-O retirement visa needs to be renewed in April, is there a way to do this while I am overseas, or do I need to return?

Thanks in advance.

There are heaps of guys who know this better than me.  But my agency told me I hade to come "one, two or three months before expiry" so maybe you can do it before leaving?

6 minutes ago, thailandsgreat said:

There are heaps of guys who know this better than me.  But my agency told me I hade to come "one, two or three months before expiry" so maybe you can do it before leaving?

Which province 

15 minutes ago, thailandsgreat said:

Chonburi

Thanks  but was almost rhetorical question.

The agents in Pattaya  seem to have more options. 

Anyway....all a bit off topic

The OP has not indicated use of agent or his immigration office. 

Also the OP has not provided exact dates for planed trip and expiry of current permission of stay.

I asked earlier in thread.

Without proper engagement from OP,s  in any thread then it's pointless.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Which province 

For what it is worth, my understanding is that offices have discretion to do one-year extensions up to 90 days early. I have heard of Chaengwattana agreeing to do it early for someone who needed to travel around the time they would normally extend. As ever where discretion is involved, you may or may not be lucky, and a good rapport with the official helps.

• Thumbs Up 1