2023 Triumph Speed 400 single

Denim

4 hours ago, KhunLA said:

these smaller capacity models are powered by fuel-injected euro 5 engines producing almost 40hp and almost 38 nm torque

Aren't the marketer's embarrassed to have to say it produces "almost" 40 hp and "almost" 38 nm torque ... what's next, "with a top speed of almost 70 mph"!

2 hours ago, Toolong said:

somehow in the 90's I ended up with a Honda Bros 400 V-twin. To borrow your phrase: 'Not exciting but very functional'.)

For 'not exciting but very functional' from the 80s and 90s I'd shoot for a CX500, although frankly any Honda will fit that description (except maybe an NS400R or an RC30) 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, BKKBike09 said:

Aren't the marketer's embarrassed to have to say it produces "almost" 40 hp and "almost" 38 nm torque ... what's next, "with a top speed of almost 70 mph"!

For 'not exciting but very functional' from the 80s and 90s I'd shoot for a CX500, although frankly any Honda will fit that description (except maybe an NS400R or an RC30) 

I started on a 750cc, so there was no backwards or down in size, in the USA.  Next up for me was another Honda, and 900cc. and more than enough for me & wife.  Not as much fun as the 750, but not what I bought it for.

Here/TH, the 125s were enough, as not going far or fast.  Now have an E-MB (3000w), faster off the line, but top end or range .... nah, but I don't want or need either.

Again, not my photo.

lv20-t95-3-1573679733785.jpg

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 2

5 hours ago, BKKBike09 said:

Re vehicles, aesthetics has always (with exceptions) been a big factor for me (for better or worse) and with bikes I always found the transverse v-twin format too weird looking. 

I would never have gone for one, I have to admit, though in many ways they may have been great bikes to use.

The mid-90's Honda Bros, however,(called Bros in the Asian market, dunno about elsewhere) did have the looks -imho, anyway - that 

prompted me to buy one 2nd hand. Super reliable + handled well thru Bangkok traffic, despite being quite big. 

(So....sorry CX500, you were just a tad too ugly for my taste! ????)

2 hours ago, Toolong said:

Re vehicles, aesthetics has always (with exceptions) been a big factor for me (for better or worse) and with bikes I always found the transverse v-twin format too weird looking. 

I would never have gone for one, I have to admit, though in many ways they may have been great bikes to use.

The mid-90's Honda Bros, however,(called Bros in the Asian market, dunno about elsewhere) did have the looks -imho, anyway - that 

prompted me to buy one 2nd hand. Super reliable + handled well thru Bangkok traffic, despite being quite big. 

I never really cared for the Bros but it was pretty popular here. Mid 90s here I had a Kwak FX400R. First bike I had here - in 1989 - was a CB400T (this being it, no less)

image.thumb.jpeg.0ee3f9e3b38fd62c15db38f8c9aeb330.jpeg

I always liked the styling of the Kawa:

image.jpeg.8f86231b29a37ad36c197b2207c9fbc0.jpeg

13 minutes ago, BKKBike09 said:

I never really cared for the Bros but it was pretty popular here. Mid 90s here I had a Kwak FX400R. First bike I had here - in 1989 - was a CB400T (this being it, no less)

image.thumb.jpeg.0ee3f9e3b38fd62c15db38f8c9aeb330.jpeg

I always liked the styling of the Kawa:

image.jpeg.8f86231b29a37ad36c197b2207c9fbc0.jpeg

Yes, the Kawa stying is very nice.....but - and forgive me if I say this - nicer still if I put my finger over that blocky rear end, around the tail-light and imagine it cut off a bit and trimmed down. ???????? 

But having said that, that blocky rear end thing was the design norm at the time, right? That's how they were. On the plus side, I'm a big fan of lights, indicators & mirrors that actually do what they're supposed to do, for safety's sake, and that rear light & indicator set up would have definitely done the job.

And your CB400T, in the pic, really exemplifies that kind of reliable, practical functionality. Bet it had enough power to take you upcountry/downcountry at times too. In comfort too.....that seat looks well-padded! ????

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Toolong said:

Talking of V twins. Best bike I ever owned buit to compete with the Yamaha RD 250 2 stroke.  A Honda VT250F

Ton up possible, best handling bike I have ever ridden plus the previous owner had fitted upswept chrome silences . Looked great , sounded better than a Ducati whether opening or closing the throttle and capable of longer rides. Only serious flaw was it was an absolute pig to work on .

bandicam 2021-08-05 13-31-50-466 (2).jpg

8 hours ago, Lucky Bones said:

Not my photo, but, best bike I ever long term owned, including 2 Kawi 750's.

My big bro had a Yam RD350 (circa 1978?)

The RD nearly threw me off the seat 1st time I opened the throttle. 2 stroke madness.????????

image.png.055ca946bde2ee5885a74fc470e29e78.png

Nice bike. My friend had one in red and let me take it for a long ride. Very sweet indeed.

• Love It 1

10 hours ago, Denim said:

Talking of V twins. Best bike I ever owned buit to compete with the Yamaha RD 250 2 stroke.  A Honda VT250F

Ton up possible, best handling bike I have ever ridden plus the previous owner had fitted upswept chrome silences . Looked great , sounded better than a Ducati whether opening or closing the throttle and capable of longer rides. Only serious flaw was it was an absolute pig to work on .

bandicam 2021-08-05 13-31-50-466 (2).jpg

'Ton up'? Mph or kph? Not bad for a 250.

I'm no expert, but imo, in this pic, you can kind of see the evolutionary shift in bike design going on at the time. (The look of this bike reminds me of the 90's Suzuki Katana, which was, I believe, quite 'ground-breaking' in its way.....but like I said, I ain't no expert.)

37 minutes ago, Toolong said:

'Ton up'? Mph or kph? Not bad for a 250.

I'm no expert, but imo, in this pic, you can kind of see the evolutionary shift in bike design going on at the time. (The look of this bike reminds me of the 90's Suzuki Katana, which was, I believe, quite 'ground-breaking' in its way.....but like I said, I ain't no expert.)

Yup MPH. Designed to compete with the dominant RD250LC two stroke.  To achieve this the engine was very complex.

DOHC and 4 valves per cylinder. , Liquid cooled 6 speed gearbox.

Later models came with a nice fairing. I don't care for fairings much but this looked good.

HONDA VT250F | Webike News

Specifications[edit]

Engine Two-cylinder 90° V Twin, Four-stroke
Displacement 248 cc
Bore & Stroke 60 mm x 44 mm
Valvetrain DOHC, 4 valves per cylinder
Compression ratio 11:1
Maximum power 26.1 kW (35 hp) @ 11,000 rpm
Maximum torque 21.5 N⋅m (15.9 lb⋅ft) @ 10,000 rpm
Starter Electric
Cooling system Liquid-cooled
Transmission Six speed
Drivetrain Chain
Seat Height 780 mm (30.7 inch)
Fuel capacity 12 litres
Brakes Front: single inboard disc
Rear: drum
Dry weight 149 kg (328.5 lb)

6 minutes ago, Denim said:

Yup MPH. Designed to compete with the dominant RD250LC two stroke.  To achieve this the engine was very complex.

DOHC and 4 valves per cylinder. , Liquid cooled 6 speed gearbox.

Later models came with a nice fairing. I don't care for fairings much but this looked good.

HONDA VT250F | Webike News

Specifications[edit]

Engine Two-cylinder 90° V Twin, Four-stroke
Displacement 248 cc
Bore & Stroke 60 mm x 44 mm
Valvetrain DOHC, 4 valves per cylinder
Compression ratio 11:1
Maximum power 26.1 kW (35 hp) @ 11,000 rpm
Maximum torque 21.5 N⋅m (15.9 lb⋅ft) @ 10,000 rpm
Starter Electric
Cooling system Liquid-cooled
Transmission Six speed
Drivetrain Chain
Seat Height 780 mm (30.7 inch)
Fuel capacity 12 litres
Brakes Front: single inboard disc
Rear: drum
Dry weight 149 kg (328.5 lb)

Mph?! Impressive. And I imagine it might have been capable of those speeds for some distance, depending on how efficiently the cooling system was keeping things stable.

Know what you mean about fairings and have the same view, though indeed the fairing in the pic does seem to really enhance the looks ????. (Might have made things get a bit hot down there in Bkk traffic, I daresay, but.....)

26 minutes ago, Toolong said:

Mph?! Impressive. And I imagine it might have been capable of those speeds for some distance, depending on how efficiently the cooling system was keeping things stable.

Know what you mean about fairings and have the same view, though indeed the fairing in the pic does seem to really enhance the looks ????. (Might have made things get a bit hot down there in Bkk traffic, I daresay, but.....)

I don't fine a faired bike any hotter than naked.

Always have fitted a screen on a naked bike though so you can do high speed at times.

17 hours ago, Toolong said:

Oh is that why you see them everywhere. ????

An ideal bike for Thailand IMO.

12 hours ago, Lucky Bones said:

Not my photo, but, best bike I ever long term owned, including 2 Kawi 750's.

My big bro had a Yam RD350 (circa 1978?)

The RD nearly threw me off the seat 1st time I opened the throttle. 2 stroke madness.????????

image.png.055ca946bde2ee5885a74fc470e29e78.png

CB400SF was my first bike in Thailand.

• Love It 1

10 minutes ago, Lucky Bones said:

I googled SF. Guessing that was a much later version of the (?) CB 400 Super Sports a la 1975/76?

Yeah a bike with a story bought in CM 67,000bht it was the days of you could just have invoice papers only but could still get insurance.

The guy I bought it from got me a number plate and green book but the photocopied page was altered to read 400 c.c. as the book and number belonged to a Wave 125.

Sold it for 85,000 that don't happen these days.

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

Oh is that why you see them everywhere. ????

An ideal bike for Thailand IMO.

Back in the day , if you lived in London they were one of the top picks of despatch riders. The other two were the bullet proof Kawasaki GT500 and the Honda RS 250 single. 

When the CX500 first came out I also thought they were ugly but in the end I saw so many of them I came to actually like their chunky looks and longevity. 

Honda CX500 Gallery - Classic Motorbikes

34 minutes ago, Denim said:

Back in the day , if you lived in London they were one of the top picks of despatch riders. The other two were the bullet proof Kawasaki GT500 and the Honda RS 250 single. 

When the CX500 first came out I also thought they were ugly but in the end I saw so many of them I came to actually like their chunky looks and longevity. 

Honda CX500 Gallery - Classic Motorbikes

I reckon there a good looking bike nowadays.

My biker buddy who I ride all over Thailand with had a 500X for years.

He has bought the new Triumph 660 triple now, which I find much the same ride but more guts.

img_2_1691640244350.jpg

On 8/9/2023 at 6:31 AM, KhunLA said:

MG ... Brit Dynamics - Made in CH

Triumph ... Brit Design - Made in IN

Nothing made in the UK anymore, though probably a good thing.

Incorrect re. Triumph.

From the Triumph website.

https://www.triumphmotorcycles.co.uk/global-content/frequently-asked-questions#:~:text=Where are Triumph's factories based,and one in Manaus%2C Brazil.

image.png.e61b0bc979cd6584dd27413655ec891e.png

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Even this is dated, so may not be accurate any more.  And, I didn't say 'all' Triumphs are made in IN, knowing they do make many here/TH.

"Are Any Triumphs Still Made at Hinckley?

The majority of Triumph’s mass-production bikes are already made in its Thai factories. In fact, apart from the high-end Triumph Factory Custom (TFC) models, only the Speed Triple and Tiger 1200 motorbikes were still made there. Since 2002, Triumph has steadily been shifting mass production to its three factories outside of Bangkok, Thailand. 

Thus, we’re looking at the last Speed Triple and Tiger 1200 models to be produced in the UK."

Triumph

Even they; Speed Triple & Tiger, and not longer produced in UK.

Made in TH (?)

Edited by KhunLA

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

Even this is dated, so may not be accurate any more.  And, I didn't say 'all' Triumphs are made in IN, knowing they do make many here/TH.

"

Are Any Triumphs Still Made at Hinckley?

The majority of Triumph’s mass-production bikes are already made in its Thai factories. In fact, apart from the high-end Triumph Factory Custom (TFC) models, only the Speed Triple and Tiger 1200 motorbikes were still made there. Since 2002, Triumph has steadily been shifting mass production to its three factories outside of Bangkok, Thailand. 

Thus, we’re looking at the last Speed Triple and Tiger 1200 models to be produced in the UK."

Triumph

Yes, some bikes are still made in Hinckley. Mainly the premium models like the Rocket3.

And I don't believe "any" bikes are made in Indonesia.

I guess they'll update the website to include India when the 400 is commercially available.

3 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Yes, some bikes are still made in Hinckley. Mainly the premium models like the Rocket3.

I guess they'll update the website to include India when the 400 is commercially available.

When did Triumph stop making motorcycles in England?

Production had been progressively been moving to the company's three South East Asian plant since they were set up in 2002-2007 and 2020 saw Speed Triple and Tiger 1200 – the final mainstream models built at Hinckley – move there too, spelling the end of mainstream assembly in Britain. Mar 9, 2022

Triumph

Link does imply, as clear as mud, they may start producing again in the UK, instead of just R&D there now.

9 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

'IN' is code for India

'ID' is Indonesia

3 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

When did Triumph stop making motorcycles in England?

Production had been progressively been moving to the company's three South East Asian plant since they were set up in 2002-2007 and 2020 saw Speed Triple and Tiger 1200 – the final mainstream models built at Hinckley – move there too, spelling the end of mainstream assembly in Britain. Mar 9, 2022

Triumph

Link does imply, as clear as mud, they may start producing again in the UK, instead of just R&D there now.

You can see a bit of the production process from around the 7 minute mark.

more details here.

https://timeless2wheels.com/14015/triumph-thailand-made/

image.png.7588614ca17e91a2419c07d0adf87fea.png

image.png.ba2317c5d2d02cdbfc6e30f2da111999.png