2023 Triumph Speed 400 single

Denim

23 hours ago, PR3 said:

Just read an article that states the official proce will be announced later and will not be more than 200000 baht, so expect 199999 Lol

That's a pretty good price given the price of other 400cc bikes on the market. I actually like the look of it even though retros aren't my thing.

I do believe it is a branding exercise though. This is basically a Bajaj bike with Triumph styling and logos on it. It does seem to be an excellent fit and finish though... It would make a good city bike/commuter.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Muhendis said:

I still like this retro better

Triumph Tiger 500cc

image.png.f0b4eea50f10f0e8acce14d1997c3d42.png

I had two of these. An ex police bike single carb version plus one of the last 50 to leave the meriden factory. The serial number on the casing of this later bike was not the usual T100R but T100D since these last 50 bikes had a disc front brake plus ugly long silencers taken from the bonneville to comply with strict emmision controls in the USA. My last Triumph was a T90 350 cc rat bike.

Here is one of the later T100Rs before the disc brake and ugly exhaust.

How nice if they would have kept it like this but added electronic ignition and a Mikuni carb so that no more ' tickling ' would be needed.

1977-triumph-daytona.jpg

Edited by Denim
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, Denim said:

I had two of these. An ex police bike single carb version plus one of the last 50 to leave the meriden factory. The serial number on the casing of this later bike was not the usual T100R but T100D since these last 50 bikes had a disc front brake plus ugly long silencers taken from the bonneville to comply with strict emmision controls in the USA. My last Triumph was a T90 350 cc rat bike

Was it as good as this? One of the better rat bikes I have seen in a while. Photo taken in Pattaya yesterday.

20230807_130157.jpg

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Was it as good as this? One of the better rat bikes I have seen in a while. Photo taken in Pattaya yesterday.

20230807_130157.jpg

Ha ha. Yes....quite a bit better than that. Got pictures but they are back in the UK 

• Like 1

I saw the 108,000 bht quoted on line, seemed unbelievable compared to Royal Enfield Hunter 350 at 137,000 for a very basic bi with half the power.  Called in at Sukumvit Triumph dealer who’s predicting 170-200,000 with availability expected around Feb next year.

• Like 1

Just now, Chillypom said:

I saw the 108,000 bht quoted on line, seemed unbelievable compared to Royal Enfield Hunter 350 at 137,000 for a very basic bi with half the power.  Called in at Sukumvit Triumph dealer who’s predicting 170-200,000 with availability expected around Feb next year.

It just shows how out of touch I am with bike prices since I thought 108,000 was more than I would spend on a 400. That's what happens when the only prices you follow are of those of ' Stallions ' and other local stuff.

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Denim said:

I had two of these. An ex police bike single carb version plus one of the last 50 to leave the meriden factory. The serial number on the casing of this later bike was not the usual T100R but T100D since these last 50 bikes had a disc front brake plus ugly long silencers taken from the bonneville to comply with strict emmision controls in the USA. My last Triumph was a T90 350 cc rat bike.

Here is one of the later T100Rs before the disc brake and ugly exhaust.

How nice if they would have kept it like this but added electronic ignition and a Mikuni carb so that no more ' tickling ' would be needed.

1977-triumph-daytona.jpg

I had a T100R at the same time, they were built before the lock in at Meriden ,then sold afterwards, mine had the long cone exhorts, with a twin leaning shoe front brake only ever saw one disc brake modal I thought the owner did the conversion, not a factory job.

The engine was no problem leaked a bit of oil, it was the electrics that were the problem use to eat CB points, and of cause Lucus lights, Prince of Darkness, as I found out on more than one occasion.

Back to the op, a local bike shop, what 18 months ago had a SR 400 in a new one I think it was 160 000 ish baht.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, kickstart said:

The engine was no problem leaked a bit of oil, it was the electrics that were the problem

Yup, that Daytona I had twice suffered a complete wiring loom meltdow.....literally. The first , about 10 minutes after I had bought it and had to push it home half a mile up hill. Got a new loom fitted. Then , after I sold it on it had another meltdown on the new owner and he bounced his cheque and left it in a pub carpark . Had to borrow a friends van to go collect it then get another loom fitted. Not happy days.

After that I switched to Hondas. What a joy to experience trouble free motorcycling.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Toolong said:

Wow, Denim....you call that 'retro'? Is it, really? (Honest question, btw.)

They call them retro because they are unfaired and not at all ' angular ' in their appearence. Agree with you about Hondas. A friend had a very nice 400/4. Sweet looking bike. Someone lent me a 400 twin for a few months. Not exciting but very functional.

On 8/7/2023 at 12:02 PM, JonnyF said:

That's a pretty good price given the price of other 400cc bikes on the market. I actually like the look of it even though retros aren't my thing.

I do believe it is a branding exercise though. This is basically a Bajaj bike with Triumph styling and logos on it. It does seem to be an excellent fit and finish though... It would make a good city bike/commuter.

A good point as you mention the excellent fit and finish, so I would say that it's basically a Triumph designed bike, built to Triumph standards by Bajaj. Semantics by myself, as I am a Triumph fan. Similarly, as Bajaj build some KTM's. Also remember, most Triumphs are made in Thailand now, very few in England.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, gamb00ler said:

eh?

You must have accidentally included some irrelevant text in your post (which has been removed).  That text was about marketing products and nothing to do with motorcycles.  The last part of your post was about the topic at hand.

The moderators removed your post, so now you can only see the text that I quoted in my "eh?" post.   Sorry for any confusion. ????

Edited by gamb00ler

MG ... Brit Dynamics - Made in CH

Triumph ... Brit Design - Made in IN

Nothing made in the UK anymore, though probably a good thing.

Not sure if I would want the 1st generation of any new product.  Give them a few years to work out the kinks.  And doubt if the price will be close to the one in OP.

Nice looking scooter though ????

From wiki ...

"In July 2023 Triumph and Bajaj launched their first two motorcycles under partnership Speed 400 and Scrambler 400 which were a scaled down versions of their Speed twin 1200 and Scrambler 1200 respectively these smaller capacity models are powered by fuel-injected euro 5 engines producing almost 40hp and almost 38 nm torque supported by a 6 speed transmission with slip & assist clutch.

After the launch the models managed to collect 10,000 bookings in India within 10 days of the launch after which the price were hiked, and production speed was ramped up by Bajaj"

Edited by KhunLA

1 hour ago, rocketboy2 said:

Think they could have done the Tank and Tail pipe.

a bit more retro.

Agree, if they were going for a retro look, as not much retro (legendary) about it at all, except the Triumph name, not the badge, which has changed.

From OP link, (who writes this crap):

'influenced by the legendary Triumph motorbikes of the past'

image.png.377e113c78643fa80a4dfd80edf34ee2.png

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, Denim said:

They call them retro because they are unfaired and not at all ' angular ' in their appearence. Agree with you about Hondas. A friend had a very nice 400/4. Sweet looking bike. Someone lent me a 400 twin for a few months. Not exciting but very functional.

Ah......ok. Unfaired & not so angular. Yes, I get what you mean. ????

Thanks for explaining that. 

(PS I always wanted one of those Honda 400/4's, once so popular in Thailand, but somehow in the 90's I ended up with a Honda Bros 400 V-twin. To borrow your phrase: 'Not exciting but very functional'.)

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Agree, if they were going for a retro look, as not much retro (legendary) about it at all, except the Triumph name, not the badge, which has changed.

From OP link, (who writes this crap):

'influenced by the legendary Triumph motorbikes of the past'

This would be my choice.

Capture.JPG

11 hours ago, Denim said:

I'll take '4' over a twin anyday.  1st scooter was 1976 Honda 750/4 (not my photo).   

Standard look for scooters back then. Hondas, Triumphs, Nortons, slight differences.

76-cb750k.jpg

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1