2nd TV at Vientiane Thai Embassy

Hello,

I'm an Indian citizen and I have lived for almost 5 years in Thailand based on ED - COVID Extension (for a year) and Work visa (till May 31st, 2023). There was some issue regarding the extension of my work visa (company documents issue) and we couldn't get it renewed in time, so the immigration at Pathum Thani suggested that I go to Laos to apply for a 60-day TR Visa and comeback to change it to a work visa. 

I have applied for a 60-day TR visa at Vientiane on June 2nd and got my visa from June 8th - Aug 6th. We have reapplied for the work visa change and I got a receipt for Aug 4th for the result of the visa on 20th July. But I got a call from Immigration Officer on the 26th evening saying that my visa was not approved because of a missing document and they couldn't issue me a visa. They advised me to do the same visa run again to Laos. 

I have booked a slot on Aug 8th at Vientiane and I have just arrived today (Aug 6th) in Laos. The immigration at Nong Khai has asked me why I haven't left the country before my TR visa expired and there was a date written by the officer at Vientiane above the sticker visa of July 12th (that's the onward ticket date I gave for my TR visa the first time) and I've explained my situation and the officer has stamped me out. 

Now, I want to know if I can get another TR visa at Vientiane? I have the required bank statement with more than 100K THB in my account and I've booked stays till the end of August. I'm thinking to book a stay for another 30 days till end of Sept. Will also reserve an onward ticket from Thailand by the appointment date. 

Will there be any issues? I only had 1 TR visa sticker till now for Thailand and never got any VOA as well. 

Generally, a second tourist visa from Vientiane is not a problem. However, you have done yourself no favours by lying on your last visa application, and then overstaying. I make no predictions. The Vientiane embassy is one of the friendliest in the region now, but you will have no credibility. There is a good chance they will conclude that you are working without a work permit. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

I'm sorry if I said it wrong but, I've mentioned about my work visa situation to the Nong Khai immigration when I'm leaving Thailand today (last day of my visa). I have never mentioned about changing my TR visa to Work Visa to any officer at Vientiane.  Also, I haven't overstayed as Aug 6th is my last visa date. 

I have submitted an official resignation letter with company letterhead to the Vientiane embassy last time as the officer has asked me for it. And I haven't worked since then in any other company and returned my work permit to the Labour Office as well. I'm just trying to find work in Thailand and it so happened that a company was willing to provide me a position but it didn't work out due to time constraints. 

Edited by SaiSagar3
  • Thumbs Up 1

Any help or information on this? I'm sorry but I have no idea about TR visas since the first time I entered Thailand was on a ED visa. 

My understanding is that TR visa is for 60 days and we can stay till the end of the date we are permitted to stay. In my case, I entered on June 8th and the stamp says permitted to stay until Aug 6th, and I left Thailand on Aug 6th. How am I overstaying?

Any info would be helpful, thanks!

55 minutes ago, SaiSagar3 said:

I entered on June 8th and the stamp says permitted to stay until Aug 6th, and I left Thailand on Aug 6th. How am I overstaying?

You did not overstay.

You should have exited Thailand on or before Aug 6.

IMO ....thinking you will not be given a second tourist visa at Vientiane.

On the positive side another poster with extensive history was refused at Savannakhet and subsequently obtained a TV at Vientiane. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SaiSagar3 said:

Any help or information on this? I'm sorry but I have no idea about TR visas since the first time I entered Thailand was on a ED visa. 

My understanding is that TR visa is for 60 days and we can stay till the end of the date we are permitted to stay. In my case, I entered on June 8th and the stamp says permitted to stay until Aug 6th, and I left Thailand on Aug 6th. How am I overstaying?

If there was no overstay, I do not think you will ultimately have a problem in Vientiane. Expect to be questioned, though, about why you did not exit on July 12th as you stated you would on your last visa application. If immigration at the Friendship Bridge caught that, you can be sure the embassy will. In your favour is that this embassy is a friendly one.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the replies, I have just submitted my application today at Vientiane and the officer has asked me why didn't I leave on July 12th. I tried to explain but he did take my application and told me to wait for the results on Aug 10th. 

Genuinely, I was not aware of this rule as I've never applied for a TR visa before ever and I thought I could stay till the end of the visa date. Also, I have not seen a specified date written on the visa like it was on mine before (I maybe wrong too). Hope it'll be a good result!

24 minutes ago, SaiSagar3 said:

Genuinely, I was not aware of this rule as I've never applied for a TR visa before ever and I thought I could stay till the end of the visa date.

You can stay until the end of the permission to stay from the tourist visa, no problem. The potential problem (which would have resulted in a denied application at, say, Hanoi) is when applying immediately for another tourist visa. The consular officials are asking themselves whether you are really a normal tourist. Frankly, that is unclear. The fact that your immigration history does not match what you stated in your last visa application absolutely does not help.

Your chances, because this is Vientiane, are good, but the days of staying indefinitely as a tourist are over. If you are lucky this time, find another solution if you want to stay even longer. Vientiane is not going to give you a third tourist visa in quick succession, in spite of their reputation as a friendly place to apply.

4 hours ago, SaiSagar3 said:

You're right about that, you didn't overstay. If you can get another tourist visa is hard to predict, all you can do is try and hope for the best.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Your chances, because this is Vientiane, are good, but the days of staying indefinitely as a tourist are over. If you are lucky this time, find another solution if you want to stay even longer. Vientiane is not going to give you a third tourist visa in quick succession, in spite of their reputation as a friendly place to apply.

That's the hope for now, if not I can still visit with a Visa on Arrival right? (At least for 15 days?) I'm currently in talks with a potential employer and if everything works out, I don't mind going to India to apply for a Non-B visa and return. 

Is it true that Indians cannot get a 30 day extension on the TR visa? That was the reason I had to come back to Vientiane again. I thought that TR visa can be extended for 30 days, never thought it was not possible for Indians. Why is that?

7 minutes ago, SaiSagar3 said:

That's the hope for now, if not I can still visit with a Visa on Arrival right? (At least for 15 days?) I'm currently in talks with a potential employer and if everything works out, I don't mind going to India to apply for a Non-B visa and return. 

Is it true that Indians cannot get a 30 day extension on the TR visa? That was the reason I had to come back to Vientiane again. I thought that TR visa can be extended for 30 days, never thought it was not possible for Indians. Why is that?

Yes, if the tourist visa application is denied, you can try for a visa-on-arrival (15 days, not extendable) which can also be denied, but would probably be granted if you have a booked flight departing within 15 days.

Yes, if you are successful in your tourist visa application, you can apply for a 30-day extension which will be given.

3 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Yes, if you are successful in your tourist visa application, you can apply for a 30-day extension which will be given.

I think the OP is correct in saying that Indian nationals cannot get a 30-day extension.

1 minute ago, Caldera said:

I think the OP is correct in saying that Indian nationals cannot get a 30-day extension.

I stand to be corrected, but my understanding is that the restrictions on tourist visa extensions only applies to countries like those in Africa who cannot even apply for a tourist visa in the region. The 30-day extension, I believe, is permitted for most nationalities. What you may be confusing is that the 15-day visa on arrival (often used by Indians to enter Thailand) cannot be extended.

32 minutes ago, Caldera said:

My understanding is that VOA cannot be extended by 30 days however entry on a SETV granting 60 day stamp can be extended by 30 days for Indian nationals. 

Edit: from the OP post below seems my understanding was incorrect .

From Thai immigration.,...

extension of stay permit will not be longer than 7 days ; Sri Lanka ,India,......

Edited by DrJack54
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, BritTim said:

I stand to be corrected, but my understanding is that the restrictions on tourist visa extensions only applies to countries like those in Africa who cannot even apply for a tourist visa in the region. The 30-day extension, I believe, is permitted for most nationalities. What you may be confusing is that the 15-day visa on arrival (often used by Indians to enter Thailand) cannot be extended.

But I did try to extend my 60 day TR visa for another 30 days at Pathum Thani immigration and they've told me that Indian passport holders cannot extend it for 30 days but only 7 days. That was the whole reason for me to come to Vientiane.

I did ask around and found out that it was true, even the Thai Visa Advice group on FB told me the same and said it's better to leave before my visa end date. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, BritTim said:

I'm not confusing anything, I mean that some nationalities - including Indian - cannot get the usual 30-day extension to the 60-day stay a tourist visa provides.

There have been reports to that effect here and elsewhere for years, so it seems to be a long-standing immigration policy.

• Like 1

I got my visa today. Luckily there were no hiccups, just went in to pick up and signed the form, got my passport and the visa was stamped. Also nothing is written on top mentioning any date like last time. So I'm hoping I can stay the whole 60 days?

Can I travel through train from Thanaleng Station to Nong Khai using this visa? Or do I have to only fly out?

PXL_20230810_064206977~2.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

18 minutes ago, SaiSagar3 said:

Can I travel through train from Thanaleng Station to Nong Khai using this visa? Or do I have to only fly out?

You don't need to fly out.

Many would travel to friendship bridge and minivan to UT city or to airport if flying onward. 

Train is cheapest option. Popular with folk with little funds. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

You don't need to fly out.

Many would travel to friendship bridge and minivan to UT city or to airport if flying onward. 

Train is cheapest option. Popular with folk with little funds. 

Thanks, I've booked a train from Nong Khai to BKK. 

Can I piggyback on this thread with a another question about Vientiane embassy and visas?.

What kind of turn around time can I expect when applying for a second Tourist Visa at Vientiane?

I have to go before August 29th.

I will fly and was wondering if I should do a round trip or one way flight since (if I understand correctly) the time to get a second visa at Vientiane can vary.

10 minutes ago, cdemundo said:

Can I piggyback on this thread with a another question about Vientiane embassy and visas?.

What kind of turn around time can I expect when applying for a second Tourist Visa at Vientiane?

I will fly and was wondering if I should do a round trip or one way flight since (if I understand correctly) the time to get a second visa at Vientiane can vary.

First up you require an appointment at Vientiane.

If approved it's done overnight.

Second application does not come into it.

You state FLY ...assume you mean fly to Udon Thani? 

On 8/8/2023 at 4:07 AM, SaiSagar3 said:

I thought that TR visa can be extended for 30 days, never thought it was not possible for Indians. Why is that?

I would guess Thai lawmakers think India is a poor, dirty filthy country and the Indian government does not want to to do reciprocal visa agreements. 

26 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Thank you. I didn't know about the appointment.

I don't understand "Second application does not come into it."

I thought I needed to fly to VTE as I thought I needed to exit Thailand and re-enter.

2 minutes ago, cdemundo said:

Thank you. I didn't know about the appointment.

I don't understand "Second application does not come into it."

I thought I needed to fly to VTE as I thought I needed to exit Thailand and re-enter.

Flight to Vientiane not cheap.

You can fly to Udon Thani and minibus to Nong Khai.

From there you have short...ish trip to Vientiane. 

Udon airport is not long drive to friendship bridge. Straight level road. 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

It takes 2 days in Vientiane not overnight.

Check the FAQ section at the consulate site.

Apply on Monday get passport/visa on Wednesday, for example.

https://thaivisavientiane.com/

• Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/12/2023 at 7:42 PM, cdemundo said:

There is no variation in time to issue to the visa. The standard is 2 working days, e.g., submit on Monday and get the passport back on Wednesday. 

Appointment is a must at Vientiane and arrange all the required documents, which are mentioned clearly on the website.

Better to book an appointment now as the slots will be fully booked for a week to 10 days at least. And once booked earlier you can just fly on the day of appointment submit the documents and flu out once you got your visa. 

• Thanks 1