Question on Visit the wife 60 days visa?

Greetings everyone, 

I am trying to help out a friend and wanted to ask a few questions especially about visit the wife 60 days visa. Now my friend was on the marriage visa prior and unfortunately did not have enough funds to extend it. He then left a country and came back on visit wife 60 days visa per entry, if not mistaken it is allowed to be used twice a year and each can also be extended once, so apparently 2 visas pe 2 extensions am I correct here? 

Also, can I ask he go out on a land border but comeback on a proper visa? 

So, in short, he used 2 visit the wife and 2 extensions on those and 1 30-day extension if I am correct so far. What would be the best option for him to go about now? 

Any advice is greatly appreciated. 

23 minutes ago, sup3r1or said:

I am trying to help out a friend and wanted to ask a few questions especially about visit the wife 60 days visa

You are very confused.

The "60 day to visit wife" is a 60 day extension

Your friend could do a border bounce and enter visa exempt and be given a 30 stamp and that can be extended by 60 to visit wife.

He could do that twice per calendar year. 

So 30+60 and repeat= 180days.

A better option (depending on how long he wants to stay)  is posted by @aluc above

Edited by DrJack54

Your friend needs to first understand what a visa is, the rules for each visa class, the rules for entering without a visa (which depend on his nationality), and the various conditions under which his his stay in Thailand can be extended.

As suggested above, your friend's best option is not going to be entering without a visa. He should look at going to Savannakhet in Laos for a one-year multiple entry Non O visa. This will allow him 90-day stays in Thailand for one year and, in fact, can allow him to stay up to nearly 15 months by leaving and re-entering Thailand just before the visa expires.

• Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, BritTim said:

As suggested above, your friend's best option is not going to be entering without a visa. He should look at going to Savannakhet in Laos for a one-year multiple entry Non O visa. This will allow him 90-day stays in Thailand for one year and, in fact, can allow him to stay up to nearly 15 months by leaving and re-entering Thailand just before the visa expires.

Yes, in his case - being short of funds - applying for the 1-year Multiple Entry Non Imm O (marriage) Visa at the Thai consulate in Savannakhet (just over the Friendship bridge from Mukdahan) is his best option. 

At the end of each 90-day Permission to stay that ME Non Imm O (marriage) Visa will provide him, he also has the option to do a border-bounce or apply for a 60-day extension of stay of that Visa at his local Imm Office (cost 1.900,- THB).  Applying for 60-day extensions after each entry, will reduce the number of border-bounces to three during the max of 17 months he can squeeze out of that Visa. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

You are very confused.

The "60 day to visit wife" is a 60 day extension

Your friend could do a border bounce and enter visa exempt and be given a 30 stamp and that can be extended by 60 to visit wife.

He could do that twice per calendar year. 

So 30+60 and repeat= 180days.

A better option (depending on how long he wants to stay)  is posted by @aluc above

Even better news!

The 30 + 60 can then be extended by an addition 30 days ( 30 + 60 + 30 = 120 Days in country ) 

This is offered and provided at every Immigration Office ????

I do this as often as I require.....   

Means that you only have to leave Thailand 3 times per year Max....

2 hours ago, FARANG KIWI said:

Even better news!

The 30 + 60 can then be extended by an addition 30 days ( 30 + 60 + 30 = 120 Days in country ) 

This is offered and provided at every Immigration Office ????

I do this as often as I require.....   

Means that you only have to leave Thailand 3 times per year Max....

one of those 3 would have to be by air

38 minutes ago, steve187 said:

one of those 3 would have to be by air

No, what is meant is 30-days on arrival (from the visa exempt entry) + 30 days (normal extension) + 60 days (to visit Thai spouse).

Note that it best to do the extensions this way round. A few immigration offices have been known to refuse the 30-day extension after the 60-day one.

On 8/8/2023 at 11:31 AM, Red Phoenix said:

Yes, in his case - being short of funds - applying for the 1-year Multiple Entry Non Imm O (marriage) Visa at the Thai consulate in Savannakhet (just over the Friendship bridge from Mukdahan) is his best option. 

At the end of each 90-day Permission to stay that ME Non Imm O (marriage) Visa will provide him, he also has the option to do a border-bounce or apply for a 60-day extension of stay of that Visa at his local Imm Office (cost 1.900,- THB).  Applying for 60-day extensions after each entry, will reduce the number of border-bounces to three during the max of 17 months he can squeeze out of that Visa. 

By saying that 17 months can be squeezed out of that visa - which I have - you are suggesting that on re-entering Thailand just before the one-year expiry date and getting another 90 days (which is unquestionably possible) one can also apply for and receive another wife-visit 60 days on that final 90-day entry.

Could you confirm that that is indeed the case?

I've always been a little unsure about whether that final 90-day entry that extends beyond the one-year visa validity can also be followed by yet another 60-day wife-visit extension. 

Rationally speaking yes it should be possible, but one shouldn't rely on what's logical when it comes to immigration rules.

12 minutes ago, raysunshineray said:

one can also apply for and receive another wife-visit 60 days on that final 90-day entry.

Could you confirm that that is indeed the case?

That is 100% true.

However, I would mention that there are cases where an application for a multiple entry Non O visa in Savannakhet will succeed, but a strict immigration office in Thailand will find a reason to deny a 60-day extension.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, BritTim said:

That is 100% true.

However, I would mention that there are cases where an application for a multiple entry Non O visa in Savannakhet will succeed, but a strict immigration office in Thailand will find a reason to deny a 60-day extension.

Why am I not surprised!

16 hours ago, BritTim said:

That is 100% true.

@BritTim > Would it in case of denial of the 60 day extension for reason of visting your wife to prolonge the Permission of Stay from the 1-year ME Non Imm O (marriage) Visa, not be possible to apply for such extension at a different Imm Office? 

4 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

@BritTim > Would it in case of denial of the 60 day extension for reason of visting your wife to prolonge the Permission of Stay from the 1-year ME Non Imm O (marriage) Visa, not be possible to apply for such extension at a different Imm Office? 

That is not the situation I was thinking about, but that can also occur.

The situation that was in my mind is that Savannakhet accepts overseas marriage certificates more readily than immigration in Thailand does., especially (but not exclusively) for one-year extensions. The application for the 60-day visit extension ought not to be so bureaucratic, but at strict offices it is.

• Thanks 1