Tracking license plate in hit and run? Possible?

JeffersLos

Our car was parked and was hit by a pickup truck, which then drove away. It severely damaged the rear door and and also the rear fender. Shops estimate the repair at 6 or 7 thousand baht.

We have the CCTV stills and can see the license plate letters and numbers. The province at the bottom isn't clear but we presume it it from the same province as the incident. It is a workman's vehicle with building piping in the rear and an unclear logo on the driver's door.

The police are not interested and have done nothing.

Is there a way to get the ownership information of the vehicle so we can contact them or give the information to the police?

TIA.

If you have fully comp insurance you could try contacting the insurer with a view to submitting a claim. It is in their interest to locate the pick-up and hold the driver liable. I am sure they have the know how and means to track from the licence plate info.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, RupertIII said:

If you have fully comp insurance you could try contacting the insurer with a view to submitting a claim. It is in their interest to locate the pick-up and hold the driver liable. I am sure they have the know how and means to track from the licence plate info.

Nope. The wife bought the cheapest cr@ppiest insurance. 

47 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

The police are not interested and have done nothing.

A few years ago, I was in the same trouble, a friendly police neighbor made a contact with  the owner of the ghost car. when a poor woman came to my home… In tears she claimed have not any money to repair the damage (Bht6500). So she gave me  3.000 and a wai. ????

The shocking scene was In the CCTV; The driver was her coward husband..Who didn’t want to show his face, Classic.

Edited by Tarteso

The police can do it, I've seen it done, a car side swiped a row of bikes outside a bar one evening quite a bit of damage to one bike, the car didn't stop but there was a young guy standing there he jumped on his bike and chased after them and got the number, within 10, 15 minutes the car was owned by a Thai and he rented it to a Russian woman, there was no denying it as she hit the bikes it ripped her wing mirror off plus the damage down the side of the car, 

2 hours ago, ChipButty said:

The police can do it, I've seen it done

Oh I'm sure that they can, simply at the station on a computer with the registration database, or by calling the car registration office and saying they are police officer whatever and they want the name and address for the following license plate. 

It's obviously a bit too much work for them though, and the money it might cost to get them to do it might be wasted anyway if the owner says it was an old employee that has since left and doesn't agree to pay etc.

4 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

Nope. The wife bought the cheapest cr@ppiest insurance. 

Then pay up the 6-7000 baht. ???? Life is too short for this stuff. Unless you have multiple eye witnesses that are not related.

• Like 1