UK bank card reader/pin sentry

Hi All ,

My Barclays card reader / pin sentry has stopped working and despite replacing the batteries with 3 different lots of batteries it does not work . My bank card still works at the ATM , so I assume the reader is faulty . I need a card reader to manage my bank accounts and to send money from the UK to here in Thailand . Does anyone have a spare card reader that they could send to me . I will cover postage costs plus a complimentary fee for the help . I am told that all UK card readers are compatible so it does not have to be a Barclays reader . 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

If you have the Barclays App, or access via your PC, there is a 'Virtual PIN Sentry' facility available. Works fine.

Thanks but I do not understand about the Virtual Pin Sentry . I can log in to my account using 1/ my surname 2/ my long 12 digit number 3/ the last 4 digits on my card , 4/Lastly the 8 digit code from the card reader which I cannot do . I have tried to down load the telephone banking but it either requires a card reader or your presence at a Barclays ATM in the UK , I am in Thailand .

The mobile phone app requires bio metrics and either a photo of your passport or driving licence which I submitted 4 times but each time they said it was not clear enough .  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, superal said:

Thanks but I do not understand about the Virtual Pin Sentry . I can log in to my account using 1/ my surname 2/ my long 12 digit number 3/ the last 4 digits on my card , 4/Lastly the 8 digit code from the card reader which I cannot do . I have tried to down load the telephone banking but it either requires a card reader or your presence at a Barclays ATM in the UK , I am in Thailand .

The mobile phone app requires bio metrics and either a photo of your passport or driving licence which I submitted 4 times but each time they said it was not clear enough .  

I am also in Thailand, and just opened a new Barclays account via phone, they then sent a card & PIN to my UK address. My bro sent me scans of back & front & PIN. I then registered on the App, yes with a photo of my Driving Licence and my face. It all works perfectly. Keep at it.

• Thanks 1

You can phone them to get a new card reader, or better if you have a friend in the UK to get one and send it EMS, as my bank don't send recorded or EMS, I never received 2 that I applied for. I got my daughter to send me one. As you say any UK bank's card reader will do. sorry I don't have a spare, but a friend of mine lent me one until mine arrived, maybe you can find a brit (Business/Bar) near you for a temporary loan.

• Thanks 1

On 8/10/2023 at 6:48 AM, superal said:

Hi All ,

My Barclays card reader / pin sentry has stopped working and despite replacing the batteries with 3 different lots of batteries it does not work . My bank card still works at the ATM , so I assume the reader is faulty . I need a card reader to manage my bank accounts and to send money from the UK to here in Thailand . Does anyone have a spare card reader that they could send to me . I will cover postage costs plus a complimentary fee for the help . I am told that all UK card readers are compatible so it does not have to be a Barclays reader . 

Is it the type of device that gives you a unique number that you require to log into your account? I may be wrong but I think that those devices are unique to you so if you use device issued to another person, the number generated will be wrong. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

Is it the type of device that gives you a unique number that you require to log into your account? I may be wrong but I think that those devices are unique to you so if you use device issued to another person, the number generated will be wrong. 

In my case the reader is not unique to me . In fact the card readers are given by the bank on an unannounced visit to the bank . The card does require you to enter your ATM 4 digit code which then generates an 8 digit code that is entered into the on line app . Some years ago I used a Nat West card reader for my Barclay debit card .

My appeal for a card reader seems to be unsuccessful and I will have to return to the UK . 

17 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

I may be wrong but I think that those devices are unique to you so if you use device issued to another person, the number generated will be wrong.

Some banks use unique versions, others a common platform.

A couple I have used are Nationwide which is a common one and  either HSBC or First Direct (can't quite remember) which was unique.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, treetops said:

Some banks use unique versions, others a common platform.

A couple I have used are Nationwide which is a common one and  either HSBC or First Direct (can't quite remember) which was unique.

The coding inside each First Direct code generators are unique to each customer!

On 8/12/2023 at 7:51 AM, scottiejohn said:

The coding inside each First Direct code generators are unique to each customer!

Yes that's what I posted, although I couldn't remember if it was FD or HSBC where I experienced it.

Nationwide's devices (and it would appear from the OP also Barclays) are interchangeable between customers.

I have bought 3 sets of 4 button batteries ( lr44 1.5v ) from different sources for my 3 card readers , tested them with a volt meter and all OK . Google tells me there is a [problem with the card chip or magnetic strip but strange how it works in a Thai bank ATM but not my card reader machine . Barclays will send a new card to my UK home only and it has to be activated in a UK ATM or online banking which I cannot use without a card reader . So a UK trip is inevitable and I shall set up digital phone banking and get a new card .

1 hour ago, BlueScouse said:

On the back of the card reader there is a small hole marked reset. Have you tried pressing that in with a pin?

I have a total of 4 card readers . Now have 20 button batteries that all work after volt tester . My reader has 2 tiny holes in the back . I tried a few days ago pushing a pin but nothing happened. This time I could not find a pin but instead used a plastic tooth pick . Bingo , OMG it worked . So I then tried the other 3 readers with the same good batteries from the OK reader and none of them worked . I was then able to register and access UK Barclays phone banking which I will only use as the last cause because I am a bit skeptical using a mobile phone for banking . I am really grateful for your help and tips . The Nationwide reader would be great as a back-up to these unreliable Barclay readers . I will PM you soon . Cheers pal .