What's the going rate to use an agent without using money in the bank method

3 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

I ask this question because my currency has dropped almost 10% since last year, meaning everything I purchase will cost me 10% more.

The above said, if I was to apply for the retirement extension, transferring funds into my Thai bank account would mean a loss of about 75,000 baht compared to last year (October).

Just thinking out aloud, using an agent could save me around 50,000 baht, if I'm not mistaken, i.e. until my countries currency picks up, if ever.

So what do agents charge for either a retirement extension or a marriage extension all up or is it the same fee ?

Extension alone 12-12,500 if ur in Patttaya or willing to travel there
16,000 via Thai visa center OR up to 30,000 if ur a sucker elsewhere

Edited by zzzzz
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

75k baht would be for the retirement extension, e.g. 800k baht.

The lower exchange rate means it's a loss when comparing the rate to almost a year ago.

The spousal route would be half that, e.g. 37,500 baht when comparing it to last year.

Even using an agent, if say for arguments sake, they charge 20k-25k baht, it's still better than taking the lower exchange rate, i.e. if you have enough funds here to carry you forward, without the need to transfer further funds to satisfy immigration.

Don't get the logic. Say I need 800k baht and it's in say EUR. Let's say it's 40 (for the sake of simple calculation) THB to 1 EUR. That's 20k EUR that needs to be transferred plus some fees. If EUR doesn't drop significantly, I'd still be getting close to 20k EUR when I transfer it back, minus the transfer fees. So there's no loss. But if you pay agent, say 20k, that money is gone and it is far higher than the loss in transfer left and right and exchange rate changes in a few months...

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:
3 hours ago, flyingtlger said:

Agents charge 35K or so, not worth it....

That's way off.

A year extension is 12,500 baht

You're way off also (for extensions in Bangkok).  More like 20-25k but if you're definitely aware of any Bangkok agent who can do it for 12.5k there's a lot of people who would be interested.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

4 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

I ask this question because my currency has dropped almost 10% since last year, meaning everything I purchase will cost me 10% more.

You think this only applies to YOU?

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Yes am aware of that, but it's beside the point, it would still be a 37,500 baht loss when comparing rates to last year. Take away the agents fee of say 20,000 baht, I would still be better of as it's money in my pocket vs losing it at the strike of a keyboard.

It doesn't make a difference, the currency is down since last year, as I stated above, about 10%

Just checked Wise rates today (10 Aug 23) 44.7898 THB/GBP, 10 Aug 22 was 42.6788, don't understand your assertion down 10%

Cautionary note - it has been reported in here that once you start using agents you may find it difficult to return to doing it yourself, never tried agents myself so can't honestly say.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

Can anyone including the OP tell me what currency is down 10% from a year ago; I bring my funds from the UK and the £ is up about 5% compared to this time a year ago.

AUD.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

Not Aus $, down 'only' 6.3% ????

Screenshot_20230810-204347_Xe.jpg

AUD is a dog at the moment, it is at 14 years low against the Euro. You would think there is a war in Australia not in Europe.

Between 2018 and early 2020 it went down nearly 20% against the Baht. The OP thinks it will go up in an year, I'm not so sure at all.

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"...which discuss ways to bribe Thai government officers..."

No, they do not, they allow discussions about how to engage an agent to process extensions.  Visa/extension holders are not bribing anyone.

Then maybe he should just go into his local immigration office and ask how much it costs to get an extension without the requisite 800/400 K in the bank.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Will have to put some extra funds in the stock market to try and re-coupe "the loss"

Yeah you must be doing a roaring trade on the stockmarket, if you don't have the money in the bank and worry about the exchange difference.

By the way, no money in the bank, and not wanting to transfer, how do you eat? Do you graze at the sides of the street to satisfy your hunger feeling?

• Confused 1