Thai school changes Mother’s Day activity to support students living without mothers

snoop1130

นร4-696x392-1.jpg

Anuban Sri That school has chosen to abstain from organising traditional Mother’s Day activities this year. Instead, students have been encouraged to create cards to express their love and respect. The decision comes following the school’s exploration into the home lives of its enrollees, revealing that less than 30% of its students live with their mothers. The revised details of the event, posted on the school’s Facebook page, garnered significant applause and shares from netizens.

Anuban Sri That school in Udon Thani, a large-sized institution accommodating students from kindergarten 2 through to sixth grade, currently houses approximately 805 students with 33 educators and administrators. The majority of these students are from low-income families, earning less than 3,000 baht (US$85) per month.

Today the school is dispersing Equal Education scholarships, a scheme for its most impoverished students, awarding 27 scholarships of 1,500 baht each (US$43), reported KhaoSod.

One pleased family, 11 year old schooler Nam Khaeng, fifth grade and her 63 year old grandma, Kemthong Wanyao, shared her satisfaction today when received a scholarship from the school.

“I’m overjoyed. As I can finally pay the electricity bill. I’ve been raising my two grandchildren alone because their parents are separated. It’s just like they’re my kids. I always join them on Mother’s Day at school due to the absence of their biological mother, but this year the school didn’t organise such an event and let students compose poems and write essays instead. It’s a nice change.”

By Nattapong Westwood

Caption: Picture courtesy of KhaoSod

Full Story: https://thethaiger.com/news/national/thai-school-changes-mothers-day-activity-to-support-students-living-without-mothers

Thaiger

-- © Copyright Thaiger 2023-08-10

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Thumbs Up 1