Green airport: Suvarnabhumi’s sustainable future fueled by solar panel installation

webfact

image.jpeg

In a decisive move towards clean energy, the Airports of Thailand (AoT) are looking to harness the sun’s power, with the installation of solar rooftop panels on the passenger terminal of Suvarnabhumi Airport.

The green airport project is part of a larger crusade intending to derive 20% of the airport’s electricity from renewable sources in the coming two years.

Announced by Kerati Kijmanawat, the Director of AoT, the move is part of the grand plan to establish Thailand’s first “green airport” reinforcing an eco-friendly approach.

With a comment reflecting the aspiration, Kerati spoke yesterday, “Suvarnabhumi International Airport will become the green airport prototype for other airports to follow.”

It was outlined that the solar rooftop project, with a capacity of 4.4 megawatts (MW), will be a significant contributor to the terminal’s electricity needs.

by Mitch Connor

Solar Panel, courtesy of freepik

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/national/suvarnabhumi-airport-moves-towards-green-future-with-solar-panel-installation

Thaiger

-- © Copyright Thaiger 2023-08-11

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Thumbs Up 1

Agree with the above comments. Better late than never.

So what about Don Mueng and all the others dotted around the country?

With the amount of money AOT makes It could easily be done and  I would imagine costs would be recovered in the first year especially if, like forum members, they adopt a DIY approach.

• Love It 1

Rooftop...?? last time I looked it was a curved surface with a lot of glass along with other unconventional construction methods.

Any panels installed up there would have to be placed higildy-pigildy all over the place.

I'd imagine that alone would be a right nightmare for a solar panel installer, not to mention the accepted orintation requirement for best operation.

Then one has to get cabling from there to inverters, and from there to the distribution boards,i'd imagine another headscratcher, along with the panel mounting rails.

I, for one, am all for solar, had it for 10 years now and swear by it as the best thing since ice-cream.

This just seems one of those comments some greenie has found would earn them brownie points without putting any brain cells in gear I'd say.