Birds <deleted>ted Up My Balcony

NickyLouie

I have the same problem with pigeons on my roof and the veranda.  Problem is, young birds tend to return to breed,  where they themselves were born, as do Mum and Dad when they want to roost.  Netting is the only sure solution, bar shooting them, which is illegal. 

2 minutes ago, NickyLouie said:

Fake owl's eventually get shat upon

There are shiny spinning rods I see on Lazada that look awful to have around but do those work?

Would love a clean solution 

No they don't work.  The birds get used to them. I have reconciled myself to a continuous cleaning regime and I just have to accept that it's their home too. . I have the only fresh water swimming pool around, which of course they take advantage of. It's like living with a load of anti social teenagers 

Edited by Doctor Tom

Not for deterrent but for easy clean-up I bought one of these inexpensive power washers on Lazada,  Works great blasting away dried bird poop. 5 minutes and I'm done.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/2-stdb-i4079374843-s19077142458.html?

I tried netting but hated how it interfered with my view.  Old CD disks, aluminum foil on coat hangers, plastic cat...nothing worked for long.   

Depends on the type of balcony.

Ceiling to floor roller blinds . ( Pa gan saht ) Also provides shade keeps interior cooler.

Keep up when using the balcony or tie down shut when not using.

Roller blind at balcony » LITE

Horizontal Outdoor Roller Blind, Balcony

Edited by Denim

1 hour ago, dddave said:

Not for deterrent but for easy clean-up I bought one of these inexpensive power washers on Lazada,  Works great blasting away dried bird poop. 5 minutes and I'm done.

I tried netting but hated how it interfered with my view.  Old CD disks, aluminum foil on coat hangers, plastic cat...nothing worked for long.   

That looks incredibly cheap, does it really work efficiently. high pressure,  continuous stream, just like my pee when I was a lot younger? 

1 hour ago, dddave said:

Can that be hooked up to a garden hose? Picture shows it drawing from a bucket.

9 hours ago, Trippy said:

Can that be hooked up to a garden hose? Picture shows it drawing from a bucket.

It uses pretty narrow feed tubing.  You'd have to figure out some form of adaptor to interface the garden Hose and the tubing.  I didn't look but I'm sure there are models available that are designed to work with garden hoses.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Doctor Tom said:

That looks incredibly cheap, does it really work efficiently. high pressure,  continuous stream, just like my pee when I was a lot younger? 

It's surprisingly strong.  It wont cut steel but dried pigeon poop comes off quickly. Mine came with 3 different nozzles for different uses. It can be set to continuous stream or machine gun type.

I've had mine for about 4 months and have used it about 10 times on two balconies.  No problems yet.  It comes in a carrying case.  It does have a cheap feel and probably wont last a long time but at my age,  product longevity is less an issue. 

Edited by dddave
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, dddave said:

It's surprisingly strong.  It wont cut steel but dried pigeon poop comes off quickly. Mine came with 3 different nozzles for different uses. It can be set to continuous stream or machine gun type.

I've had mine for about 4 months and have used it about 10 times on two balconies.  No problems yet.  It comes in a carrying case.  It does have a cheap feel and probably wont last a long time but at my age,  product longevity is less an issue. 

Reviews said that the battery is a problem, runs hot and doesn't last long? 

58 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:

Reviews said that the battery is a problem, runs hot and doesn't last long? 

The batteries (2) are pretty cheesy but so far they have worked well.  I've never used them for more than 15 minutes at a stretch so I don't know how long they actually last from a full charge.

Lazada has quite a few models at a variety of prices so worth checking for one with better reviews.

Edited by dddave
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, dddave said:

The batteries (2) are pretty cheesy but so far they have worked well.  I've never used them for more than 15 minutes at a stretch so I don't know how long they actually last from a full charge.

Lazada has quite a few models at a variety of prices so worth checking for one with better reviews.

I do like the idea of a portable one.  Mixing water with a mains electricity connection, in Thailand, doesn't sound like a bright idea to me, so portable sounds good. .  Thanks for the info..