Terrified tourists ride speedboats battling meter-high waves

simon43

Link on my MSN feed:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/travel/news/terrified-tourists-ride-speedboats-battling-meter-high-waves/vi-AA1ePcET?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=eccd9f8baf5a4b2c892ca472f40e9967&ei=20

So where was this?  The boats have Thai names, so it must be Thailand.  3 speedboats following each other suggests a popular route, perhaps to/from Koh Larne or Phi Phi.

Life-jackets anyone! Nope..... ????

Been there, done that while watching the rear deck almost swamp blowing open the under bench life jacket stowage & sweeping life jackets out into the sea.....

Having have owned a decent sized boat I THINK I would have read & ridden the swells differently....But not being on the upper deck, I didn't view what the pilot was seeing.....Plus the effects of of a shallow bottomed sea....

• Confused 1

I like the part where the boat went up from a wave and then went slow motion,

I would hate to cough in a temporal displacement storm, The are the worst. ????

I am sure it must had been frightening for some, but the boats were good size, deep V, as long as they had power and able to stay in the weather,they were fine. 

Well fine as far as danger was concerned. I am sure more than one of the passenger lost his/hers lunch. 

Fun stuff.  Like Pgrahmm having been around boats both power and sailing my entire life, I might have chose a different approach angle but without being in the captains chair hard to make that call. All in all, it's just rough seas and you can't idle along in them because that makes the back and forth longer and worse.  People need to suck it up. What do they expect, its a boat ride in the ocean.  ????

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

Could be to\from any of the Islands, those speedboats are awful when big waves, problem with Thailand is boats will go whether dangerous or not, money first 

Sure, money first? But thee's also the FACT that nobody thinks ever about safety. 

26 minutes ago, simon43 said:

No-one has commented about the lack of life-jackets.  When I used to travel on the speedboat between Phuket and Ao Nang, the captain would not leave port until everyone was wearing a life-jacket.

When i went to Koh Lan couple years ago on the ferry, over full I'm sure, only enough life jackets for two thirds of passengers

2 hours ago, simon43 said:

No-one has commented about the lack of life-jackets.  When I used to travel on the speedboat between Phuket and Ao Nang, the captain would not leave port until everyone was wearing a life-jacket.

he was a good captain

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1