Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Can this battery-swapping electric scooter help clean up cities?

Social Media

image.png

Across Asia, by far the most popular form of personal transport is the motor scooter.

Thailand has 20 million of them, Vietnam 45 million, and Indonesia more than 80 million.

They are cheap and convenient - but polluting. To cut emissions, cities need to switch to a clean, electric alternative. But how?

One Taiwanese company, which has already built the world’s largest battery-swapping network, says it has the answer.

We took the bike for a ride in Taipei to find out how the system works.

WATCH VIDEO REPORT

BBC-LOGO.png

• Like 2

It's a start, a work in progress, but as stated above, they really need to use a universal battery, as would make things much simpler.

Need to break the grid's dependence on fossil fuel generate electrics.   Solar on every rooftop would be a practical start.  Mandated for all new construction, where applicable.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

There are not 14 million electric scooters. He said 14 million scooters (overall) If the demand for EVs were to increase then, obviously the number of available batteries would increase pro rata.

I think it's a great idea. It would surely help with the air pollution problems in the likes of Bangkok.

Great idea maybe it will that goes without saying, going EV and hydrogen is the only seen way at the moment. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I have been waiting for the Government EV incentives to kick in and in April I purchased a made in Thailand Deco Hannah for ฿30,640 it was previously ฿50,000. We have solar so it gets charged for free when we have excess power in the middle of the day. 

It is fun to ride and my wife loves it compared to our previous Honda Click, that always seemed to be breaking down.

20230404_060349069_iOS.jpeg.1f6887bad73415cbffddfbb4fd0cd257.jpeg

20230426_091412949_iOS.thumb.jpeg.aeab68ffcef7f52774315c70e4568d1c.jpeg20230407_234811515_iOS.thumb.jpeg.ae31224b1c0db699a02a44d421af9e2a.jpeg20230404_050841265_iOS.thumb.jpeg.55aebd367e9d148dea97682ed4fd5589.jpeg

Edited by Bandersnatch
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

Two takeaways... 1.  They have to be just as cheap  2. they have to be just as reliable

Two things the EV makers have failed at up to now... 

You clearly don’t drive an EV or you would know that’s not true. I have driven an EV in Thailand for over 2 years now and never had any problems. 

You can buy a Neta V EV in Thailand for ฿549,000, but maybe you think that’s expensive.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

Two takeaways... 1.  They have to be just as cheap  2. they have to be just as reliable

Two things the EV makers have failed at up to now... 

Considering the price difference Thailand and Taiwan the Gogoro Viva XL is 82.500 NTD incl 15 month Insurance and Road Tax 12 month. 

That makes it equal to a Honda PCX in Thailand. 

The PCX has not anywhere near the good handling capabilities and torque than the Gogoro.

In the 4th year now I am every 2nd weekend in the mountains of Taiwan and ride about 200 - 250 Kilometers nonstop. If it overheats it will slow down to 45 Km/hr for a few kilometers (happened twice as Google brought me on the Expressway and I wanted to make a quick escape to avoid fines)

In total I have now 38.000 Kilometers on the Clock and the only thing I exchanged was the drive belt and 3 back tires which wear down faster because of the torque these electric motors put on the road if you pull the trottle.. 

I think @Skipalongcassidy your opinion on reliability of e-bikes is a bit outdated.

6 years ago I bought a mountain bike style e-bike and yes, that was a piece of sh*t.

15 kilometer Range, 65 Km/hr and couldn't pull a smoked Kipper from the plate...  

Edited by Reginald Prewster
  • Like 1
  • Love It 1

31 minutes ago, rhodie said:

Honda Click always breaking down??? Pffft. :cheesy: You have got to be joking. Arguably the most reliable bike on the planet.

As ICE motorbikes go yes the Honda Click is very reliable, that’s the reason I bought it, but to say it’s the most reliable bike on the planet shows you are not up to date with developments.

Our new electric bike has a sealed hub motor, that requires no maintenance. There is no chain to lubricate, adjust or replace as drive happens at the rear wheel. There is no tiny 12v lead acid battery to start the motor and run flat if the bike is not used for a couple of weeks, like happens to our click. The battery on the electric bike is Lithium Ion with far more capacity.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

You clearly don’t drive an EV or you would know that’s not true. I have driven an EV in Thailand for over 2 years now and never had any problems. 

You can buy a Neta V EV in Thailand for ฿549,000, but maybe you think that’s expensive.

Not expensive at all... but over priced for what value that you get... for me there is no value in a car ICE or EV that is uncomfortable... I am 6'4" and 230lbs

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bandersnatch said:

As ICE motorbikes go yes the Honda Click is very reliable, that’s the reason I bought it, but to say it’s the most reliable bike on the planet shows you are not up to date with developments.

Our new electric bike has a sealed hub motor, that requires no maintenance. There is no chain to lubricate, adjust or replace as drive happens at the rear wheel. There is no tiny 12v lead acid battery to start the motor and run flat if the bike is not used for a couple of weeks, like happens to our click. The battery on the electric bike is Lithium Ion with far more capacity.

And a pleasure to ride.  I rarely used our Honda Wave, and seemed like only time I used it, was to top up fuel & air in tires ????

Sold it, and bought our E-MB, and wife is like ... 'what are you, F'g goofy, you never drove the Wave'

And yet, I'm on the E-MB almost everyday, weather permitting.  Go figure.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bandersnatch said:

There is no tiny 12v lead acid battery to start the motor and run flat if the bike is not used for a couple of weeks, like happens to our click. The battery on the electric bike is Lithium Ion with far more capacity.

You can always replace your lead acid battery with a lithium Ion battery... it's easy

14 minutes ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

but over priced for what value that you get

Again with the unsupported  statements 

Your last one was 

3 hours ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

They have to be just as cheap  2. they have to be just as reliable

Two things the EV makers have failed at up to now

How was your test drive in the Neta V? I would be interested in your informed opinion.

18 minutes ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

I am 6'4" and 230lbs

How about a station wagon?

Price.jpg.cafd1082519fc9333eb43ec741ae3460.jpg.60f19ae5f65c2b54cbbd8ea4c2170859.jpg

26 minutes ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

Not expensive at all... but over priced for what value that you get... for me there is no value in a car ICE or EV that is uncomfortable... I am 6'4" and 230lbs

You would easily fit in our MG ZS, as I have heaps of headroom.  Legs, not so sure, though I can stretch out completely, @ 175cm/5'9".

Same price as comparable ICEVs, and a great value, IMHO.  I thought there was plenty of headroom in the MG EP also, though it does sit a bit lower.

My back isn't as flexible as most, so if I'm comfy getting in/out, nobody else should have much of an issue.

On 8/14/2023 at 2:10 AM, Kwasaki said:

A million batteries and 14 million scooters. ????

I think that's a million + a set in each scooter - otherwise I agree it won't work.

Also take account that each battery can be used several times each day.  I watched the programme on the BBC and in theory, it seems like a great idea. 

The Chinese are starting a similar system with cars where you drive onto a ramp in a service station and your batteries are changed.  Beats the hell out of charging stations all over the place - with cables having to be laid. A good use of former petrol stations.  The main problem I can see is getting car manufacturers to standardise batteries.

India next on their list - good, still a lot of smokey 2 strokes there.

8 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

I think that's a million + a set in each scooter - otherwise I agree it won't work.

Also take account that each battery can be used several times each day.  I watched the programme on the BBC and in theory, it seems like a great idea. 

The Chinese are starting a similar system with cars where you drive onto a ramp in a service station and your batteries are changed.  Beats the hell out of charging stations all over the place - with cables having to be laid. A good use of former petrol stations.  The main problem I can see is getting car manufacturers to standardise batteries.

India next on their list - good, still a lot of smokey 2 strokes there.

Yeah I was only having a go at how much ore they will need to do to progress but a good thing.

Glad I've lived in the petrolhead time though to be selfishly honest. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

I have been waiting for the Government EV incentives to kick in and in April I purchased a made in Thailand Deco Hannah for ฿30,640 it was previously ฿50,000. We have solar so it gets charged for free when we have excess power in the middle of the day. 

It is fun to ride and my wife loves it compared to our previous Honda Click, that always seemed to be breaking down.

20230404_060349069_iOS.jpeg.1f6887bad73415cbffddfbb4fd0cd257.jpeg

20230426_091412949_iOS.thumb.jpeg.aeab68ffcef7f52774315c70e4568d1c.jpeg20230407_234811515_iOS.thumb.jpeg.ae31224b1c0db699a02a44d421af9e2a.jpeg20230404_050841265_iOS.thumb.jpeg.55aebd367e9d148dea97682ed4fd5589.jpeg

I do not believe your Honda Click is always breaking down.............:coffee1:

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Yeah I was only having a go at how much ore they will need to do to progress but a good thing.

Glad I've lived in the petrolhead time though to be selfishly honest. 

Me too. However, I've yet to drive an electric car and a mate who has one says the acceleration is amazing. Thinking about how fast an electric motor starts - I can see how that would be. In fact I'm pretty sure they must be restricted or you could go through a set of tyres dragging away from a traffic light ????.

7 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

ok  - I'll give you that one, can you put the engine in the hub so I don't need a chain?

The point being that your ICE has hundreds of metal bits rubbing against each other and relies on frequent explosions for power whereas an electric motor has but one moving part to achieve the same result.

With this in mind I am tempted to ask why the simpler electric machine is not less expensive than the equivalent ICE.

1 hour ago, transam said:

I do not believe your Honda Click is always breaking down.............:coffee1:

How about always needing maintenance; oil changes, tune ups, whether putting on kms on not.  Pop into the petrol station to pay to ride every km, after you bought it ????

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1