Can this battery-swapping electric scooter help clean up cities?

Social Media

Just now, KhunLA said:

How about always needing maintenance; oil changes, chain tightening, tune ups, whether putting on kms on not.  Pop into the petrol station to pay to ride every km, after you bought it ????

Are you on the right thread, I said, I don't believe a Honda Click is always breaking down, nothing about servicing or running one................:ermm:

On 8/14/2023 at 8:59 AM, Moonlover said:

There are not 14 million electric scooters. He said 14 million scooters (overall) If the demand for EVs were to increase then, obviously the number of available batteries would increase pro rata.

I think it's a great idea. It would surely help with the air pollution problems in the likes of Bangkok.

Well, it will certainly cut down the exhaust emissions from the ICE scooters. but where does the power come from to power the more than 12,xxx charging stations. I presume that it comes from the same energy source as the main power supply so that may need to be beefed up as well.

quote "1250 NTD = 1350 Baht "all you can eat" contract is nice, as I drive in my off work weekends up to 250 Kilometers so batteries are unlimited for me".

But how long is the contract valid for? 1 week, 1 month, 1 year or the lifetime of the scooter?

I have spent a few minutes trying to track down the cost of the plans  and they are variable. For example in  https://www.gogoro.com/gogoro-network/Taiwan I managed to track down the contracts, but not the prices.

In their blurb I saw people simply going to the charging station and swapping the battery simply by pulling the battery from the charger. What I didn't see was how the company knows who has what battery and how the cost is put into the plan.

This is only an advertising movie, and I suspect that you have to declare what type of contract that you want, and only then will you learn the cost.

• Thumbs Up 1

This contract battery swap idea is most likely very very expensive over the long term.

Better idea is to adopt the battery swap idea which is good, and to own the extra battery pack yourself.

Your "spare" battery pack can be charging, preferably by solar, whist you're running around on the number one pack.

If going off out for the day carry your number two pack with you for the return journey.

Easy is it not?

Honda Wave 110i.  Fuel injection, engine management, catalytic converter.

34.1 grammes CO2 per kilometre.

Bearing in mind batteries require charging, and in Thailand that is mostly done by fossil fuels, you are not going to save the world by buying an electric scooter.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, KhunLA said:

You would easily fit in our MG ZS, as I have heaps of headroom.  Legs, not so sure, though I can stretch out completely, @ 175cm/5'9".

Same price as comparable ICEVs, and a great value, IMHO.  I thought there was plenty of headroom in the MG EP also, though it does sit a bit lower.

My back isn't as flexible as most, so if I'm comfy getting in/out, nobody else should have much of an issue.

The MG does not meet the first requirement... be the same price... I have a MG HS and it is great

• Like 1

On 8/15/2023 at 10:30 AM, Bandersnatch said:

Again with the unsupported  statements 

Your last one was 

How was your test drive in the Neta V? I would be interested in your informed opinion.

How about a station wagon?

Price.jpg.cafd1082519fc9333eb43ec741ae3460.jpg.60f19ae5f65c2b54cbbd8ea4c2170859.jpg

On 8/15/2023 at 7:53 AM, Bandersnatch said:

You clearly don’t drive an EV or you would know that’s not true. I have driven an EV in Thailand for over 2 years now and never had any problems. 

You can buy a Neta V EV in Thailand for ฿549,000, but maybe you think that’s expensive.

I went and tried the Neta... no thanks... I have had golf carts that were bigger, more comfortable, and rode better. 

12 hours ago, transam said:

Assembled...................?  ????

SAIC Motor - CP Co., Ltd. and MG Sales (Thailand) Co., Ltd., recently held a ceremony to mark the beginning of production at its new plant in Chon Buri province. In accordance with MG’s commitment to growth in Thailand, and to further elevate the automotive industry and the Thai economy, this plant will be the hub for MG cars in Southeast Asia, as the company manufactures and distributes MG cars in Thailand and exports them globally.

8 minutes ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

SAIC Motor - CP Co., Ltd. and MG Sales (Thailand) Co., Ltd., recently held a ceremony to mark the beginning of production at its new plant in Chon Buri province. In accordance with MG’s commitment to growth in Thailand, and to further elevate the automotive industry and the Thai economy, this plant will be the hub for MG cars in Southeast Asia, as the company manufactures and distributes MG cars in Thailand and exports them globally.

CKD assembly plant.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/15/2023 at 6:44 PM, KhunLA said:

How about always needing maintenance; oil changes, tune ups, whether putting on kms on not.  Pop into the petrol station to pay to ride every km, after you bought it ????

I don't know what you do with your bikes but tune ups and oil changes? I have a 17 year old Yamaha Nouvo MX that is still going strong, I change the oil every couple of years at the cost of 100 Baht. I've never "tuned it up". The biggest hassle is punctures but as fair as I am aware e-bikes are not immune from them.

It does 150 kms between charges, and the "charge" takes 30 seconds and there are stations everywhere. It does over 100 kph. Yes I have to pay for petrol, but it's hardly a massive expense on a 115cc scooter. Most people will be using batteries charged by fossil fuels anyway. Electricity isn't getting any cheaper.

As far as I can see these e-bikes do 60 kph (mine does 110) and has a range of 60 kms (mine does 150). My bike doesn't require mining (and subsequent recycling/disposal) of many precious metals. I've done 600kms a day on mine, that's 10 charges/battery swaps on an e-bike, if you can find the stations.

Let's see how your e-bike is holding up in 17 years from now. Let's see if spare parts are still available a decade from now, if the manufacturer is still even in business. 

Plus, these e-bikes look like they fell out of a Christmas cracker.

I own an electric mountain bike. It's only really useful for getting to the MRT station and back if I remembered to charge the battery. Personally, if I was buying tomorrow I'd be getting a Honda Super Cub 110cc. 

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

I don't know what you do with your bikes but tune ups and oil changes? I have a 17 year old Yamaha Nouvo MX that is still going strong, I change the oil every couple of years at the cost of 100 Baht. I've never "tuned it up". The biggest hassle is punctures but as fair as I am aware e-bikes are not immune from them.

It does 150 kms between charges, and the "charge" takes 30 seconds and there are stations everywhere. It does over 100 kph. Yes I have to pay for petrol, but it's hardly a massive expense on a 115cc scooter. Most people will be using batteries charged by fossil fuels anyway. Electricity isn't getting any cheaper.

As far as I can see these e-bikes do 60 kph (mine does 110) and has a range of 60 kms (mine does 150). My bike doesn't require mining (and subsequent recycling/disposal) of many precious metals. I've done 600kms a day on mine, that's 10 charges/battery swaps on an e-bike, if you can find the stations.

Let's see how your e-bike is holding up in 17 years from now. Let's see if spare parts are still available a decade from now, if the manufacturer is still even in business. 

Plus, these e-bikes look like they fell out of a Christmas cracker.

I own an electric mountain bike. It's only really useful for getting to the MRT station and back if I remembered to charge the battery. Personally, if I was buying tomorrow I'd be getting a Honda Super Cub 110cc. 

Mine will do 90, I've had up to 87 kph, and will go just as far, which I have no desire to be on a scooter that long.

Please let me know how eco friendly petrol production/transport/using is ?  Such a silly comparison.

Energized with solar ... ????

My ebke will do 40+kph, and go way further than I need or want to, 50 kms so far, with plenty of reserve.

Although I'm thinking your ebike serves it's purpose perfectly, but feel free to cry about it.  Or didn't you buy it for some other reason, and or not read the specs.

Edited by KhunLA

4 hours ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

Yes, assembled, same as many other brands.....????

• Thumbs Up 1