shingles

kingstonkid

38 minutes ago, Petethefeet said:

Every year in the UK, everyone in the UK, over 60 or with health issues can go to their gp for a flu jab. Last year I went for the second time, I am 74, and the nurse gave me a shingles jab at the same time. Lasts a life time, she said. 

You need 2 jabs, about 2 months apart

On 8/15/2023 at 9:51 AM, KhunLA said:

How could anyone not know about the shingles vaccine.   Though personally, I would just go hang out with some kids with chicken pox, for that immune system booster.

Never heard of that don't know about shingles or the vaccine.

Aren't shingles those things they put on roofs?

• Confused 1

I had shingles about 5 years ago, but I believe that it woke up because my immune system was down since I drank alcohol every night + I was stressed for some reason at the time. it was not painful though, left arm and left back shoulder. It went away after 3 weeks. 

Edited by The Theory

On 8/15/2023 at 1:58 PM, KhunLA said:

Shingle vaccines have been around since 1995 and available since 2006.

Frankly, I wouldn't touch any of them.  Too many side effects, and apparently not very effective. IMHO

The Shingrix vaccine is over 90% effective.

I got the Shingrix vaccine in Canada, 1st 4 months ago and then a followup 3 months later. I'm 65yo

My oldest brother got shingles last year and suffered horribly so that made me go for it.

All the vaccines and Covid shots over the years have had no after affect on me.

This shingle vaccine laid me out for 2 days of arm pain, nausea, weakness, headache,

booster shot was worse than the first. 

Glad it's done now and good for the rest of my life.

Are you at risk, see the link 

https://www.shingrix.ca/en-ca/index.html

Edited by kwonitoy

On 8/15/2023 at 3:37 AM, MarkT63 said:

Just recovering from it and wish I had got the vaccine. Too late now as doc said getting it gives strong immunity for 7 years or so. Doc also said 60 + for vaccine. ????

I was offered the vaccine for the 1st time in the UK  at 70 yrs old last Autumn. But it was just after I arrived in Thailand for the Winter so I missed out.  S o d's Law I got shingles just after Christmas and Im still suffering (albeit very mildly now) from nerve pain with 'Post Herpetic Neuralgia'. So if u can get the vaccine get it as it is not nice! And if u do get shingles take antivirals ASAP as that dumbs down the rash considerably. they are available over the pharmacy counter in Thailand as are the special painkillers for shingles called 'gabapentin'.

Edited by SunsetT
  • Thanks 1

On 8/15/2023 at 9:07 AM, KhunLA said:

Got shingles about 14 yrs ago, and since then, have noticed it's in the news quite a bit.

Might be like, never notice Charging Stations for EVs, until you actually think about getting one, then you see them everywhere ????

But shingles has been a topic headliner on AN almost monthly, so hard to miss.

And ... you really don't want to get a bad case of.  It still lingers today, and yet to figure out what the trigger is.

With that, I'd advise anyone, who knows that chicken pox is making the rounds in the village, go share some smoothies with those kids.  Get coughed & sneezed on, get exposed and boost your immune system.  I can't hurt.

I understood that if you’ve had chicken pox when you are young, the virus stays in you and can come back later in life. Very painful, and ugly rash. Find out if you’ve had chicken Pox first. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Herpes simplex does not confer immunity to shingles.

The risk of of shingles increases steadily with age. About 1 in 4 elderly people will get it eventually if unimmunized. That you have not had it yet in your late 60's in no way means you won't get it in the coming years..and believe me, it is no fun plus it can lead to permanent pain and disability.

Yes, and do learn the 'signs' of early detection, on the skin .... a rash

May progress much like sunburn, with small moist bubble, which you want to start taking one of these, acyclovir, famciclovir, or valacyclovir, ASAP, as may lessen any long term symptoms.

That's a very small window (3days) to start above treatment, in hopes of lessening symptoms, especially long term.  

Luckily, here/TH, they are available OTC & inexpensive.

Hopefully, unlike myself, start before the bubbles appear.  Mine was on my back, mid way, and affected a nerve coming around to my chest.

If it kicks in, you'll think you are having a heart attack.  14 yrs later, and I still get a little tinge of discomfort.   But for about 5 yrs or more, it was very uncomfortable when it flared up.  

I tried a sh!tload of drugs, and none really did anything.  Some of those had some nasty warnings, as being drugs for schizos ???? made just for me, and still didn't help.  Powerful stuff, so don't self medicate, unless you have a lot, a lot, a lot of experience doing so.

Edited by KhunLA

serious allergic reaction after my 1st injection in Hospital for 5 days = Dr said Do Not have the 2nd part of the Vaccine 

Never had smallpox  or vaccine as a kid

Advised not to get any Covid Vaccine, so never had + never had Covid. 

There are  few of us that just cannot take Vaccines + for me many Med's  that also have serious allergic reaction, is so difficult  must read and re read label's [do web search etc]  mostly always see the same Dr but odd times is a different Dr if the Med's are different must do a search as to 100% what is in them

4 minutes ago, ignis said:

serious allergic reaction after my 1st injection in Hospital for 5 days = Dr said Do Not have the 2nd part of the Vaccine 

Never had smallpox  or vaccine as a kid

Advised not to get any Covid Vaccine, so never had + never had Covid. 

There are  few of us that just cannot take Vaccines + for me many Med's  that also have serious allergic reaction, is so difficult  must read and re read label's [do web search etc]  mostly always see the same Dr but odd times is a different Dr if the Med's are different must do a search as to 100% what is in them

If never having chickenpox, then you certainly don't/didn't need the vaccine.  If that's the one you are referring to.

Also don't bother with any of the vaccines since early childhood, and don't seem to get any of the symptoms coming with those illnesses.

Rarely got a flu, and if covid, one day runny nose, as symptom of last variant or so.

Apparently a decent immune system.  Tetanus, but that's way over due for booster.

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

Yes, and do learn the 'signs' of early detection, on the skin .... a rash

May progress much like sunburn, with small moist bubble, which you want to start taking one of these, acyclovir, famciclovir, or valacyclovir, ASAP, as may lessen any long term symptoms.

That's a very small window (3days) to start above treatment, in hopes of lessening symptoms, especially long term.  

Luckily, here/TH, they are available OTC & inexpensive.

Hopefully, unlike myself, start before the bubbles appear.  Mine was on my back, mid way, and affected a nerve coming around to my chest.

If it kicks in, you'll think you are having a heart attack.  14 yrs later, and I still get a little tinge of discomfort.   But for about 5 yrs or more, it was very uncomfortable when it flared up.  

I tried a sh!tload of drugs, and none really did anything.  Some of those had some nasty warnings, as being drugs for schizos ???? made just for me, and still didn't help.  Powerful stuff, so don't self medicate, unless you have a lot, a lot, a lot of experience doing so.

Got prescribed Valtrex 1000 mg after ech mean for a week cleared up my rashon my back and stopped the Virus.  Now dealing with the tingles adn erve issues.  

The min challenge I had was that it just seemed like a sore tight muscle on my back shouler blade.  EWent to physio and she sent me to Dermatalolgy.  Also the first hing she checked was if I could use the meds as you have to have a healthy kidney.

Talking to a lot of people and finding that it is very common here and not just n the older people.

• Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

If never having chickenpox, then you certainly don't/didn't need the vaccine.  If that's the one you are referring to.

Also don't bother with any of the vaccines since early childhood, and don't seem to get any of the symptoms coming with those illnesses.

Rarely got a flu, and if covid, one day runny nose, as symptom of last variant or so.

Apparently a decent immune system.  Tetanus, but that's way over due for booster.

serious allergic reaction to Tetanus 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, ignis said:

serious allergic reaction to Tetanus 

I'm lucky, fortunately, as my body seems to tolerate everything rather well.  Been self medicating for decades (not recommend unless lots of research), and only had one oops.

Miscalculated the half life of an antibiotic, when switching (both penicillin based), and you really don't want to do that.  That was really uncomfortable for a couple days.

Knock on wood, besides that little oops.  Kidneys & liver still function as expected.

• Confused 1

14 hours ago, couchpotato said:

Obviously you are missing a few shingles!

What sort of a comment is that hey?  Why do you think that everyone has had /heard off a shingles Vaccine or any other problem or vaccine.

You're Lucky that you know Everything.  ????

• Confused 2
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Mutt Daeng said:

I had a pretty bad experience with chicken pox as a kid. I knew about shingles but was unaware that there was a vaccine available for it. I'll have to look into this.

But somebody on here said you and I are daft for not knowing....????

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mutt Daeng said:

We're both in good company then.

17 minutes ago, transam said:

But somebody on here said you and I are daft for not knowing....????

It has been in the news since 1995, if not sooner.  I tend to pay attention to health issues, news & info.

UP2U of course

With that, you may want to get one of the 'health check ups',,.  I also do that every year or so.  Full check up, not your heart still beats and you lungs work.

Wasted money so far, but nice to know what's going on, and catching anything early usually has better results.

People take better care of their vehicles than their bodies.

Again ... UP2U

6 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Herpes simplex does not confer immunity to shingles.

The risk of of shingles increases steadily with age. About 1 in 4 elderly people will get it eventually if unimmunized. That you have not had it yet in your late 60's in no way means you won't get it in the coming years..and believe me, it is no fun plus it can lead to permanent pain and disability.

Crisp and clear as always. Thanks a lot Sheryl, I'll have a word with my doctors, I'm sure they'll oblige.

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

It has been in the news since 1995, if not sooner.  I tend to pay attention to health issues, news & info.

UP2U of course

With that, you may want to get one of the 'health check ups',,.  I also do that every year or so.  Full check up, not your heart still beats and you lungs work.

Wasted money so far, but nice to know what's going on, and catching anything early usually has better results.

People take better care of their vehicles than their bodies.

Again ... UP2U

Oh, it was you, not surprised, I see you didn't pay attention to forum rules though, which is now 2023 .................????

6 minutes ago, transam said:

Oh, it was you, not surprised, I see you didn't pay attention to forum rules though, which is now 2023 .................????

I'm old & senile ...

... that's my story and I'm sticking with it ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1