Can I use a Thai DL to hire a car in oz?

3 hours ago, Hamus Yaigh said:

Mine issued at Sukhumvit 101 DL office has the English address incomplete. Whilst the Thai part is correct the English underneath is completely missing a Soi name so just includes the house number followed by sub district and district. Next to useless as a proof of address in English it seems.

Not really an issue surely? Still can use it and just keep quiet. No implications at all. No need to be anally rententive about this. 

51 minutes ago, isaanistical said:

I am completely baffled by this, and alarmed (not doubting you). Where in $$$ is the logic in requiring UK address to drive in UK? And why might it be the business of Hertz, etc, to prove where you live?  DVLC does not require that proof!

If they asked it for the credit card, I might regard it as pertinent, but can anyone explain the DL bit? I have a UK licence, no UK proof of address (thankfully) and no problems using it anywhere - yet.

A UK driving licence is not valid if the address on it is incorrect. If you are not a resident of UK your UK licence is no longer valid.

6 minutes ago, advancebooking said:

Not really an issue surely? Still can use it and just keep quiet. No implications at all. No need to be anally rententive about this. 

You have a 5 year Thai licence, yet it is old and "tatty", what is the expiry date on it.....?

3 hours ago, Hamus Yaigh said:

Mine issued at Sukhumvit 101 DL office has the English address incomplete. Whilst the Thai part is correct the English underneath is completely missing a Soi name so just includes the house number followed by sub district and district. Next to useless as a proof of address in English it seems.

Same here. Mine has my house number, Sukhumvit, Bangkok and the postcode on it. But staff in UK car rental companies have absolutely no idea what a Thai address should look like. I told them it was the same as using the house number and postcode in the UK, and they accepted it.

They also wanted two forms of ID from Thailand, so I used my Thai driving licence and Thai international driving permit, and they accepted that as well. 

• Thumbs Up 1

41 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Yes they do.

Only people with a UK address are allowed UK driving licences

I said proof of address. I use a friend's address as somewhere to mail DL to and DVLC requires no proof beyond that.

Point being, if the issuing authority is satisfied, what business is it of a commercial company to demand more?

Edited by isaanistical
add text

1 minute ago, Neeranam said:

I don't have the new plastic one. However, my sister, who has lived in Australia for 30 years just got one. She does own a house in UK though.

A UK licence has to be renewed every 10 years, the paper one is long gone. Also, when 70 years old a doctor is involved, cannot renew from abroad, unless done dodgy....

But I will stand corrected if things have changed...

31 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I've not had a UK address for 30 years but have a UK license.

A UK address is mandatory and must appear on the front of a UK license. 

You should change the address at DVLA or make sure you don't get caught.

36 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Do you not have a UK license?

Yes I do but it has expired 'cause I'm old. 

If I ever go back there for any length of time I could renew it using my sons address.

Either that or hire a car using my Thai license.

1 minute ago, transam said:

A UK licence has to be renewed every 10 years, the paper one is long gone. Also, when 70 years old a doctor is involved, cannot renew from abroad, unless done dodgy....

I thought it was 'tll death or until 70 whichever comes first.

Last I heard a health test was not required for renewal but a declaration of fitness to drive is part of the application.

5 minutes ago, Muhendis said:

Yes I do but it has expired 'cause I'm old. 

If I ever go back there for any length of time I could renew it using my sons address.

Either that or hire a car using my Thai license.

Same, mine expired earlier this year, too hard to renew at the moment.

1 minute ago, Muhendis said:

Last I heard a health test was not required for renewal but a declaration of fitness to drive is part of the application.

Only valid for 3 years after age 70 as well.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, transam said:

I didn't know that the UK license had to be renewed every 10 years.

I do now.

I probably won't bother, and just rely on my Thai D/L.

Just now, Muhendis said:

Renew every 10 years, the photo thingy, yes, the licence ends on 70th birthday, I don't know the procedure from there. 

https://motorway.co.uk/sell-my-car/guides/how-to-update-your-driving-licence#:~:text=You should renew your licence,licence once every three years.

32 minutes ago, transam said:

Photocards have to be renewed every 10 years. Paper licences issued before 2000 are still valid and don't have to be renewed until they expire when you turn 70, but ONLY if all the information (including the address) is still valid. They are supposed to be getting rid of the old paper licences for good in 2033. 

5 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

Photocards have to be renewed every 10 years. Paper licences issued before 2000 are still valid and don't have to be renewed until they expire when you turn 70, but ONLY if all the information (including the address) is still valid. They are supposed to be getting rid of the old paper licences for good in 2033. 

This makes it clearer for me........????

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/renew-driving-licence/

2 minutes ago, transam said:

This makes it clearer for me........????

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/renew-driving-licence/

That's about photocards. We are talking about the old paper licence, and the DVLA says otherwise. 

https://insidedvla.blog.gov.uk/2015/03/24/advice-for-motorists-with-paper-driving-licences-how-theyll-be-affected-when-the-counterparts-abolished/

If you still have a paper licence that was issued before 2000, you have never had a photocard, and all the details are still correct, the old paper licence is still valid until you turn 70. (Unless they do abolish them in 2033.)

Because they don't issue paper licences anymore, if you update it for any reason, you have to get the plastic photocard, and then that has to be renewed every 10 years. But if you still have a pre-2000 original, and you've never had a photocard, the paper licence is still valid. 

15 hours ago, advancebooking said:

Actually the address on the back of the thai license is in English and Thai language. At least it is on mine

You're right, it is on mine too. Time for an eye test I guess. UK rental company didn't see it either.

4 hours ago, Reginald Prewster said:

Yes I did it too and ride my scooter here in Taiwan since 2020.

Nobody has realized till now, that I am not Born in Thailand as stated on my IDP and German nationality... 

And is your insurance valid?

2 hours ago, transam said:

Renew every 10 years, the photo thingy, yes, the licence ends on 70th birthday, I don't know the procedure from there. 

https://motorway.co.uk/sell-my-car/guides/how-to-update-your-driving-licence#:~:text=You should renew your licence,licence once every three years.

As the link says, after 70 you must renew every 3 years. No test or medical, you just tick a few boxes to say that you are capable or seeing and driving.

You should renew it whenever you change permanent address.

33 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

And is your insurance valid?

It is because I had to copy and send the Thai Driver's License to the insurance.

After 6 days I could pick up the scooter with Number plate and insurance for 15 month.

In an accident case:

I have a mate who bought a car and has the Dutch driver's license plus he was above the 6 month limit in the country.

He cut of a scooter and the insurance paid all but told him not to drive anymore untill he has the international drivers license in combination... 

2 minutes ago, Reginald Prewster said:

It is because I had to copy and send the Thai Driver's License to the insurance.

After 6 days I could pick up the scooter with Number plate and insurance for 15 month.

In an accident case:

I have a mate who bought a car and has the Dutch driver's license plus he was above the 6 month limit in the country.

He cut of a scooter and the insurance paid all but told him not to drive anymore untill he has the international drivers license in combination... 

Most unusual for ANY insurance company, and he was VERY lucky. 

Absolutely. You don't need an international permit, even to get the insurance. I go back to OZ 2 or 3 times each year. Have been doing so for 10 years. Thai license accepted by all major rental companies. Always purchase full insurance. Never been a problem.