Residence Certificate vs Yellow Book

Hi all,

I am on a Non-IB visa and need to renew my driver's license (2 year -> 5 year).

I also have a digital work permit but this does not show my address.

So, one of the requirements to renew my driver's license is a certificate of residence.

In the past I have just gone to Hua Hin immigration to get this, however, I am considering perhaps getting a yellow book first then using that in the process of renewing my license.

My situation is that I reside in a house owned by my Thai partner (not married but registered as de facto spouse at Land Office for usufruct).

On the Chanote of the property it shows her name (in Thai) followed by my name (also in Thai) stating that I have a Usufruct.

1) Is a copy of the Chanote (with my name in Thai) acceptable for immigration to issue a certificate of residence?

2) In my situation, what would the process be to get a yellow book?

Any advice on these matters, particularly in Prachuap Khiri Khan or Petchaburi province would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Visit your local amphur and ask what is required to get a yellow book.  Depending on what papers you already have it may be easy or a pain in the backside to obtain.  In my case I already had a lot of the paperwork as I'm married to a Thai and she (we) own the house we live in.

How Do I Get A Yellow House Book?

Being Thailand, it probably won’t come as too much of a shock to learn that application requirements for a yellow house book differ wildly from one thesaban or amphoe office to another! So your first task is to check with the local registration authority precisely what paperwork you need to gather; but at the very least, the applicant will have to submit the original as well as photocopies (signed) of the following documents:

• current passport (containing a valid Thai entry permit)
  • work permit (if any)
  • marriage certificate together with your Thai spouse’s national ID card and own blue house book (if any)
  • lease agreement along with your landlord’s ID and own blue Tabien Baan (if renting the property)
  • existing blue house book (if exchanging)

Besides which, it isn’t out of the ordinary for a district or local registration office to request a notarised copy of the personal information page of the applicant’s passport translated into Thai in addition to a number of passport style photographs. And, more than likely, you’ll need to be accompanied by one or two Thai witnesses (each with their own blue house book and national ID card) who’ll be asked to attest to your identity and residential status then undergo an informal interview.

For some foreigners, the whole thing is nothing short of a breeze but alas for others, a slow and agonising death by red tape!

Edited by bbko
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, BKKrunaway said:

Hi all,

I am on a Non-IB visa and need to renew my driver's license (2 year -> 5 year).

I also have a digital work permit but this does not show my address.

So, one of the requirements to renew my driver's license is a certificate of residence.

In the past I have just gone to Hua Hin immigration to get this, however, I am considering perhaps getting a yellow book first then using that in the process of renewing my license.

My situation is that I reside in a house owned by my Thai partner (not married but registered as de facto spouse at Land Office for usufruct).

On the Chanote of the property it shows her name (in Thai) followed by my name (also in Thai) stating that I have a Usufruct.

1) Is a copy of the Chanote (with my name in Thai) acceptable for immigration to issue a certificate of residence?

2) In my situation, what would the process be to get a yellow book?

Any advice on these matters, particularly in Prachuap Khiri Khan or Petchaburi province would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

1. You are not registered as "de facto spouse" at the Land Office nor anywhere else.

2. Yes, a copy of the Chanote should be good 
enough, along with the original blue book. As would a letter from her stating that you live in her house, together with her original blue book. Or you could bring her with you. But, ultimately, you need to ask YOUR local office what THEY want to see. 

After being told several times that I & GF must be married to get Yellow Book, I argued the toss with them last month, threatening to go up the ladder, and got it within a week. Only GF & village head were needed. No translations. Bang Rakam, Phitsanulok.

Edited by KannikaP