Work Permit now possible with retirement extension

11 hours ago, Alex2554 said:

Labor Department does not require any visa, you can apply on visa exempt. Next step is to obtain a visa that allows to work

Oh yes they do!

Documents from Foreign Employee:

Original passport and copies of Non-immigrant visa page, latest entry page, and biodata page
Copies of work experience certificates from previous employers
Copies of educational certificates or degrees 
Recently issued medical certificate 
Three 3×4 cm photos taken no more than 6 months
Other relevant certificates and licenses

9 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

The thread is about having a non O extensions based on retirement and working.

Very ridiculous when you think about it.

While I concur that the story is doubtful, his extensions are based on being over 50, not retirement

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bigt3116 said:

While I concur that the story is doubtful, his extensions are based on being over 50, not retirement

No.

His extension is not based on being over 50.

It's referred to non O based on retirement.

One of the conditions of that visa is being over 50. 

He cannot work in Thailand with that visa.

Same way as non O marriage.

A condition of that visa is that you are married to Thai national.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Ralf001 said:

Can get a work permit when on marriage though.

Working in Thailand not a problem for non O marriage guys.

Not the case for non O retirement.

Of course there are guys on non O retirement that work but not in Thailand. 

One example oil gas offshore workers..

Just now, DrJack54 said:

Working in Thailand not a problem for non O marriage guys.

Not the case for non O retirement.

just making it clear for the Non O guys... can work non 0 marriage... cannot work non 0 retirement.

Many are confused or just plain ignorant of the various visa and extension types.

6 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

No.

One of the conditions of that visa is being over 50. 

He cannot work in Thailand with that visa.

Same way as non O marriage.

A condition of that visa is that you are married to Thai national.

The main category of people over age 50 who do not work in Thailand is those who are retired. However, there is no requirement (with one exception that I explain below) for you to be retired to receive that Non O visa. [That is how it differs from a Non O based on marriage which does require that you are married.]

The exception (which may still exist) is that the Thai embassy in the UK used to issue a multiple entry Non O visa to anyone in receipt of a UK state pension (of any amount).

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Oh yes it is based on being over 50, and only on being over 50 - NOTHING to do with retirement!

8 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

as you yourself stated!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Must be one of the horrible Imm/visa changes that we hear would make expats vacate the country ????

What next, no 90 day pulse checks ...  the horror

Edited by KhunLA
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Must be one of the horrible Imm/visa changes that we hear would make expats vacate the country ????

What next, no 90 day pulse checks ...  the horror

lol, I chuckle heartily over the butthurt some display when it comes to 90 day reporting !!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, BritTim said:

. However, there is no requirement (with one exception that I explain below) for you to be retired to receive that Non O visa

I posted this above ....

"Of course there are guys on non O retirement that work but not in Thailand. 

One example oil gas offshore workers.."

The non O retirement short for non O based on retirement does not mean that you are retired.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bigt3116 said:

Oh yes it is based on being over 50, and only on being over 50 - NOTHING to do with retirement

Stop being silly.

In all the immigration references they use the term.

Non O retirement

Non O marriage.

Nowhere does it refer to....

Non O being over 50.

I have already stated that you can  work with a Non O retirement however not in Thailand.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

In all the immigration references they use the term.

Non O retirement

Show me where it asks for proof of retirement? Because I can show you where it asks for proof of being over 50

Just because the word retirement is bandied around, does not change the fact that that is NOT a requirement

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bigt3116 said:

Show me where it asks for proof of retirement? Because I can show you where it asks for proof of being over 50

Just because the word retirement is bandied around, does not change the fact that that is NOT a requirement

But on the visa is written "no working". at the end it doesn't have any importance if you called it over 50 or retirement. The important part is the written part of "no working" in the Non O based on over 50.

The retirement which all refer means retirement usage for living in Thailand (no working). even you are working in your home country or any other country.

• Like 1

On 8/19/2023 at 12:16 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

I thought it clearly says "no work" (or employment, something similar) with the retirement visa, or not? 

This was my 11th retirement Visa and last 5 years I tried to get a WP...

The labor department speaks some strange language as it COULD be possible but it won't be in my case because its about helping my wife on the farm, and that's a Thai job.

BUT, if I go for the marriage Visa it is no problem, because I help my wife ON our farm but not outside of it. Delivering, transport or selling on the market would be in this case a Thai job...

Understood? No? Me neither, but I'll go for the marriage visa next time... 

• Confused 1

48 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

lol, I chuckle heartily over the butthurt some display when it comes to 90 day reporting !!

I successfully did my first online one while O&A, and processed in 3 days, and that, over the weekend.  The hoops you have to jump through ... stressful ????

At home, I actually enjoy going to the local Imm for 90 day pulse check.  Gets me out of the house, nice country ride on scooter, and I'm usually the only one there, or if Q'd up (sometimes a stack of PP/per agent) for something else, they take me as soon as I walk in.  OK, low key, out of the way Imm office, just wish they did extensions there, instead of the 100 km drive to Hua Hin, though good for day out of shopping & munch.  

1-2 hrs a year ain't going to stress me out.

Edited by KhunLA

16 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Actually I'm little bit surprised that mod has not closed thread.

As usual I could be wrong but this thread is inaccurate imo. 

George was the founder of this forum, in case you didn't know. 

If he say it, I believe it. 

• Confused 3

6 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Usually, you can't get the social fund over 60. Maybe the guy is under 60. 

British guy, 55 years old.

Original visa sticker: NON-O with remark “retirement “

Extension 1 year without any change in visa type (visa extension labeled RETIREMENT).

Labour dept. granted a 1 year WP and he was approved for social fund.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ericthai said:

A B visa and a Work permit dont go together they are two separate things and need to be applied.

I had a B visa for 2 years before moving to Thailand and didn't have a work permit as I was only coming for meetings.

Odd then you really didn't need a B visa, unless your meetings were for months. For years I would come here from the US for 1 or 2 week factory visits to check on our products being manufactured.  Arrived on a tourist Visa and left. All my current visiting colleagues do the same. However if you are earning income here you have to have a WP.  I'd have to go back and look at how many days one is here for business before they should what we would call "Officially" apply for a B visa to be on the up and up. Like all these Visa's, there are gray areas and little loop holes and quite frankly the Thai govt doesn't have the bandwidth to monitor it at all.  Not even close. The Thai govt is not going to blacklist or kick out visiting business people if the stay is short even though theoretically they are "Working".  ????

• Thumbs Up 1

Back to the OP.  While I question the accuracy of the content, the only way this can be validated is a post of the WP and the retirement Visa in place. 

I was curious enough that I called my admin as she does all the WP updates for the expats at our factory and asked about a retirement Visa and a WP. She said No.   An expat cannot have a retirement visa and a WP.  The requirements for a retirement visa and extensions are very clearly defined.

Now being fair, there is a good chance that the said individual who told the OP is confused or didn't look close at his Visa extension stamped in his Passport "IF" the person really has a WP. Quite honestly acquiring a WP is not just go apply and receive it. The initial application has a pretty long list of requirements then annual reviews require medical and employment confirmation etc.  

• Love It 1

30 minutes ago, george said:

British guy, 55 years old.

Original visa sticker: NON-O with remark “retirement “

Extension 1 year without any change in visa type (visa extension labeled RETIREMENT).

Labour dept. granted a 1 year WP and he was approved for social fund.

Awesome to hear (still no proof though so I remain sceptical).

But is defo an option then for retiree's that cannot get health insurance.

Get a WP and get on Social Security !