Work Permit now possible with retirement extension

16 hours ago, george said:

He got a Tax-ID and social fund as well.

I got a tax-ID as well on a non-O with retirement extension. It's easy to get a tax-ID if you have any income to declare. In principle you are fully taxable to Thailand, if you stay in the country for 180+ days within a calendar year. Income from abroad is also taxable in Thailand – depending on Double Taxation Agreement – if the income is transferred within the same calendar year as it's earned. In some cases it can be a benefit to pay a lower Thai income tax instead of the full tax in a foreign country.

15 hours ago, BritTim said:

I find this extremely surprising. I have never before heard of the Labour office issuing a work permit to someone on a retirement extension, and changing from an extension based on retirement to one based on working would not be possible without a work permit. I am not aware of this ever happening. It would be very interesting to see all the passport stamps.

The big selling point of the new LTR-WP (Long Term Resident Wealthy Pensioner) visa is that it optionally comes with a fairly unrestricted work permit. Are you sure this is not what your friend has acquired?

Being retired and being allowed to work seems a contradiction.

You may well be right BritTim: perhaps the OP's friend saw "WP" in his papers and interpreted it as Work Permit instead of Wealthy Pensioner?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Let me add to my post.  Sometime back I was here on a retirement Visa extension.  As it turned out, I was offered a position by a western company and had to change my visa to a B Visa which then allowed me to have a WP ( actually they go together ).  That said, one can reside in Thailand, be married to Thai national and have an O Visa extension and a WP. I am  currently living here under those circumstances and have been for the last 8 years.   

Edited by JAFO

21 minutes ago, JAFO said:

As it turned out, I was offered a position by a western company and had to change my visa to a B Visa which then allowed me to have a WP ( actually they go together ).  That said, one can reside in Thailand, be married to Thai national and have an O Visa extension and a WP.

Exactly.

Your post outlines ways to work in Thailand.

The OP post does not.

Tooth fairy story. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JAFO said:

Let me add to my post.  Sometime back I was here on a retirement Visa extension.  As it turned out, I was offered a position by a western company and had to change my visa to a B Visa which then allowed me to have a WP ( actually they go together ).  That said, one can reside in Thailand, be married to Thai national and have an O Visa extension and a WP. I am  currently living here under those circumstances and have been for the last 8 years.   

A B visa and a Work permit dont go together they are two separate things and need to be applied.

I had a B visa for 2 years before moving to Thailand and didn't have a work permit as I was only coming for meetings.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, ericthai said:

I had a B visa for 2 years before moving to Thailand and didn't have a work permit as I was only coming for meetings.

The thread is about having a non O extensions based on retirement and working.

Very ridiculous when you think about it.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, Alex2554 said:

Labor Department does not require any visa, you can apply on visa exempt. Next step is to obtain a visa that allows to work

This is not correct. Prior to possession of an appropriate entry from a visa or extended permission to stay, the Labour Department can give you a kind of pre-approval document that indicates you and the company qualify in principle. However, the work permit itself will only be issued once you have the correct immigration status.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

21 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

There are probably a heck of a lot of retirees, people who have amassed much knowledge and expertise throughout their lives, who are now ready to do some "paying back"

except the main drawback is that they are one or all of the following: alcoholics, pot smokers (addicts) or pay for play men. 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, advancebooking said:

except the main drawback is that they are one or all of the following: alcoholics, pot smokers (addicts) or pay for play men. 

It is more likely that they will fall into those categories if they do not have positive occupations to fill up their lives. Being aged over 50 does not guarantee that you will end up a sozzled pot head, addicted to bar girls. (Yes, quite a few can end up that way.)

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, BritTim said:

It is more likely that they will fall into those categories if they do not have positive occupations to fill up their lives. Being aged over 50 does not guarantee that you will end up a sozzled pot head, addicted to bar girls. (Yes, quite a few can end up that way.)

Why feed into a troll.

The post you replied to is a nonsense post completely off topic..

9 hours ago, KannikaP said:

What is that please?

My guess is that the reference to "a Thaivisa member" is a reference to a person who is a member of this here forum which is currently known as "ASEANnow forum" and was formerly known as "ThaiVisa forum"

Old habits die hard. 

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Paris333 said:

I smell little jealeus for foreigner retires .......If you are healthy and you want to work abroad whats the problem for "locals"?

There is no problem. If a foreigner over 50 wants to work abroad they need an appropriate visa.

You can't get a work permit on a tourist visa. Why should a retirement visa be any different?

• Like 1