What is the tipping practice in Thailand ?

observer90210

On 8/22/2023 at 1:21 PM, spidermike007 said:

I have always handled the money. I just don't understand turning that  task over to the woman. I see alot of men who barely have 100 baht in their pockets. Frankly, I don't find that manly, not interesting on any level. 

I handle/control the money, but she pays for everything.  This way, I don't tip, as I would, and usually over tip, so not to offend anyone, either way, she pays all the time.

Only time I pay, is at chain stores or vendor, if I'm by myself, and those vendors don't get tips from anyone.  Leave restaurant tipping up to her, and rare that she does, or very little, depending on venue & service.

I need baht in the bag/pocket, so withdraw a stack from the pillow every month or 3.  She always has baht in hers, and simply takes out of my bag what she needs, 5k at a time and just lets me know she did, so I know to make a withdrawal from the pillow again, when that stack is getting low.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

On 8/21/2023 at 6:19 PM, FruitPudding said:

Tourist area waitresses get 20k a month easily, including tips. In fact, 25k is pretty typical, according to my EX in the industry.

Their non-tourist area counterparts are really on minimum wage.

Nonsense. Been to lots of Phuket restaurants no other farangs. They arent getting many tips. You so called Ex is talking about 1 place.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I handle/control the money, but she pays for everything.  This way, I don't tip, as I would, and usually over tip, so not to offend anyone, either way, she pays all the time.

Only time I pay, is at chain stores or vendor, if I'm by myself, and those vendors don't get tips from anyone.  Leave restaurant tipping up to her, and rare that she does, or very little, depending on venue & service.

I need baht in the bag/pocket, so withdraw a stack from the pillow every month or 3.  She always has baht in hers, and simply takes out of my bag what she needs, 5k at a time and just lets me know she did, so I know to make a withdrawal from the pillow again, when that stack is getting low.

How does a tip offend anyone?

On 8/19/2023 at 5:29 PM, observer90210 said:

Question - as not to be another farang fool throwing bills around, and not wanting to spoil unnecessarily,  what would be your idea of a decent tip by local standards in the main cities or beach towns in Thailand  :

in restaurants ?

hotel maids ?

for the cleaning maid comming at home ?

the handyman comming over for repairs ?

Thank you and have a great week end.

This is Thailand. Tipping is neither obligatory nor expected.

Having said that, most modern restaurants with automated POS have the service charge included, so check the bill before wasting your money. If a member of the wait staff has gone 'above and beyond' at table service, then maybe leave some green bills. Same applies in a traditional dinery with the hand-written tab, no tip is expected but small change is OK or maybe a red bill if she's (been) a sweetheart (and your wife's not looking/gone to the restroom).

Hotel maids, part of the hotel service. No tip from me on short stays, but I will leave my "shrapnel" loose pocket change when I check out. I did stay long-term in a serviced apartment and had the same two maids who did extra work after I had guests over. They would also take any laundry they found in the washer and put it in the drier or hang it out on the balcony so they got a couple of hundred baht once a week and I would also get some chocolates or sweets for them to take home for their kids.

For the home maid service, if through a commercial company, that's what they are paid to do so no need to pay more unless they did a really good job on a really dirty stove top, etc.. If this is a 'private hire' and the same person coming in say once or twice a week, maybe a small bonus around the time of a local holiday would be well received but again, no need to tip on every visit.

For the handyman, agree a price up front and how long the job will take. If they do it well, on time and all in good order and you think you may need their services again, a few hundred baht will be acceptable. Other "tips" that are acceptable for the journeyman handyman is some cold beers, but only after they're done.

22 minutes ago, bignok said:

How does a tip offend anyone?

The implication you are poor and need charity.   Actually considered rude in some places, or so I read.

When I first got here, I've gotten some strange reactions when I tried to tip, so leave it up to the wife.  

If I happen to be by myself, rare, at rest/venue, then I'll just watch the locals pay their bill and follow their lead, which most times, no tip, or just coins left on table, if server takes the payment.  If pay at register, then never a tip left, or coins in top box, if one available.

Probably different in tourist venues, which we rarely frequent, and a tip may actually be expected.  Or worse, 10% already added to your bill.  Whether service was good or nonexistent.

Edited by KhunLA

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Women lie!

Other ladies income is always exaggerated in an effort to make you give them more.

Depends on the woman's relationship to you and whose salary she is talking about.

My EX lies the opposite way.

If she tells me she is making 20k waitressing in Sukhumvit, I know that she's probably making more ???? at least 25k.

She wouldn't be making 15k and telling me 20k. That makes no sense, as the whole time we were together, it was me paying for everything.

• Haha 1

On 8/19/2023 at 5:35 PM, bkk6060 said:

I leave something always.  These people in these service jobs are mostly making $1 an hour.  I can well afford to give a little back and help them out.  Especially maids, cleaning up peoples messes I usually leave 100 b a day at a hotel.  

I'm not suggesting not to leave a tip - that's up to you, but I don't follow the logic of being concerned about what the staff are making per hour. It's a job - they took the job and were aware of the salary when they did. It's a business, they need you to buy their food. If the business owners are not concerned about the salary they pay their staff, why should you be?

This is the mentality of a lot of tourists. They are not getting paid in USD. They are paid in baht and can do a lot more with 34 baht than you can with USD 1 back at home.

Judging on what I see around Pattaya, all these poor restarant staff own motorcycles and cellphones. They are not as poor as many are suggesting.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I've got an unusual situation. 
Living in a high rise condo I've haven't tipped the office staff, security staff, maintenance staff, gardeners, etc. etc.

I realize if I lived in New York extortionate tips would be required for door people at least. But this isn't New York.

I kind of wish the condo management organized a formal tipping jar for New Years that would be shared with all staff in which case I would throw something in, but they haven't.

I have tipped maintenance staff when they do a service for me in my condo at the time of service, but that's different.

Well now I have one specific door/security staff person that has consistently given me ridiculously good service over a long period of time. From little touches to somewhat bigger things. I don't really need anything that he's done, but it's really been charming and I certainly wouldn't be so rude as to tell him to stop it.

One example of how unusual this is. If I'm loaded holding shopping he enters the elevator and pushes my floor. It goes on and on. It's a little bit of entertainment to see what uncalled for service he will do next.

So obviously he well deserves tipping. But it gets tricky. Do I tip a little bit for every little thing or do I give him a very big tip for the New Year? If I only tip him and no other service staff isn't that kind of rude? I'm also a tiny bit concerned that it would "corrupt" the situation as I really don't know if he's some kind of freak that just loves doing that sort of thing and it would be insulting to tip suggesting he was doing it for that. He keeps doing it, never hints in any way that I should tip, and I don't expect he would stop if I never tipped.

Not sure at this point.

There are time and place for condo staff, at my condo we have Christmas/New Years party for the staff and residents bring in gift in boxes for the raffles, 

At Chinese New Year, you can give envelope full of money like 500-1000 baht too

If I go to the airport and they help with the luggage into taxi, of course

Most residents just bring the security guards of cleaners foods when they come in after shopping, I order them pizzas or KFCs during Songkran or New Year when their usual food vendor aren't around,

2 hours ago, JensenZ said:

I'm not suggesting not to leave a tip - that's up to you, but I don't follow the logic of being concerned about what the staff are making per hour. It's a job - they took the job and were aware of the salary when they did. It's a business, they need you to buy their food. If the business owners are not concerned about the salary they pay their staff, why should you be?

This is the mentality of a lot of tourists. They are not getting paid in USD. They are paid in baht and can do a lot more with 34 baht than you can with USD 1 back at home.

Judging on what I see around Pattaya, all these poor restarant staff own motorcycles and cellphones. They are not as poor as many are suggesting.

Exactly, I recently had a conversation with someone about how much to tip a Foodpanda driver.

My logic was: I am paying 160 baht for two fried rices, including a delivery charge, so that's double what it would cost me to go get it myself.

I think the driver should be on an acceptable salary if customers are paying double. I'd still leave a small tip on top of that.

The person I was having this conversation with thought these drivers deserve bigger tips and said, "How do you know their boss pays them fairly?"

I just couldn't get the logic. Like, if I'm paying double for my food and his boss isn't paying him fairly, then that's between them. I've paid enough.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/19/2023 at 7:16 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

I think in Thailand it is really up to you.

Tip what YOU want to tip - depending on how good the service was and how much you can afford.

I don't think I ever saw in Thailand that the service people complained about no tip. 

I always tip 40 baht for a meal. It’s my contribution to the local economy. These people are barely

getting by. I won’t contribute to their unhappiness. My GF excoriates me for tipping, but it’s not her money. It’s just the right thing to do.  

• Haha 1

On 9/8/2023 at 9:27 AM, Felton Jarvis said:

I always tip 40 baht for a meal. It’s my contribution to the local economy. These people are barely

getting by. I won’t contribute to their unhappiness. My GF excoriates me for tipping, but it’s not her money. It’s just the right thing to do.  

i would prefer you jut throw your money on the ground then 

You contribute to the nonsense of good foreigners pay more

• Sad 1

• 5 months later...
On 8/19/2023 at 4:55 PM, Stocky said:

There isn't really a practice of tipping in Thailand.

Personally, in restaurant I just round up, though these days with QR code scan to pay I just pay the bill. However, if a waiter/waitress has been particularly attentive I'll probably put a 100 in hand as leaving. Hotels I just leave the shrapnel, handymen/maids are already being paid to do a job. Taxis just round up. 

Personally I like to give people who earn very little a nice tip. Especially in countries where what might not seem very much to me is a lot to them. Spread a bit of happiness.

I normally round up to the nearest 100, and maybe put a couple of extra 20's down if in a bar or chilled restaurant.

Street vendors i normally just pay 20 baht extra than the asking price.

Also give the building management 10-15,000 THB at New Year for the end of year party. This year a maid and security guard won 5,000 each, and they sent pictures of them collecting their prize.

Edited by smutcakes

On 8/19/2023 at 4:29 PM, observer90210 said:

Also always leave a bill with the cleaning ladies in the hotel and make it a point to give a bit extra to the older, heavier and less attractive ones !!

Leave a tip for the maid DAILY on the pillow.
If you only leave as you are departing she will only know what a wonderful

generous person you are too late to give you special service daily.

On 9/8/2023 at 9:01 AM, 5davidhen1 said:

I think the UK's late, great comedian/magician Tommy Cooper had the best idea when it came to tipping. 

When exiting a taxi at the end of his ride, he would stuff his hand into the breast pocket of the cab driver saying, "Have a drink on me."

Later, When the driver put his hand into his pocket, anxious to find out how much Tommy had given him, he pulled out ….. A teabag!

Old but gold.  Was it Les Dawson or Mrs. Shuffelwick?

On 8/21/2023 at 1:26 PM, FruitPudding said:

I feel sorry for the Thai teachers on 10k a month.

yes but strangely the Thai staff on 10k-20k THB a month seem happier then then those with 10k US$ a month.

• Confused 1