What is the tipping practice in Thailand ?

observer90210

On 8/19/2023 at 7:28 PM, StayinThailand2much said:

Many locals don't tip, or slightly round up (e.g. bill is 590 baht, and they tip 10 baht).

I personally used to tip about 10 percent, but over time 'went native', i.e. usually now just round up as well. More for good service at the barber, restaurants, or a taxi driver helping with the luggage (which has become rare). No, or minimal tip for mediocre service.

And what about a kind hearted waitress, with a genuine smile and efficient service? Does she qualify for a 20 or 30 baht tip from you? 

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Fairynuff said:

Whether it’s the norm or not is irrelevant, it’s absolutely right to tip for good service and it will always be appreciated. 

Not always.

I recently tipped 50 baht for a haircut (one of the few things I tip for anymore) after politely thanking him for a good job and the traditional-looking old Thai bloke took it without any sign of appreciation whatsoever.

Was he too proud to show appreciation for the tip?

Was it not enough?

Did I insult him by thinking he needed more than the normal rate?

Japanese people, for example, are insulted by tipping.

I dunno. Anyway, next time I might not bother with that guy.

42 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

And what about a kind hearted waitress, with a genuine smile and efficient service? Does she qualify for a 20 or 30 baht tip from you? 

LOL. How do I know about her heart? But yes, efficient and good service deserves tipping. Depends on my order, though. If I ordered for, say, 120 baht, no way I'd tip 30 baht. Anyone who tips more than 10 to 15% is in my eyes either a sucker, or filthy rich, and I'm neither.

Edited by StayinThailand2much

38 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Absolutely. Women run this country. Men are just the puppets. 

Must be a bit like the "Barbie" movie in the beginning. (Didn't see it, but read a review.) - Barbies in control, doing everything, and Kens just hanging out, doing nothing... Reminded me of Thailand, LOL.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Brickleberry said:

I'm not offended in the slightest. I trust my wife completely, and she handles most of the bills in the home. Just pointing out the state of things. It also happens when we go shopping, if we pay in cash at 7/11, Big C, Makro etc.

You know - that never happens to me... I speak Thai and they seem to realize that I mostly handle the money... 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

What if I'm being even more kind and friendly to her?  Do we share the tip?

This isn't America.  In most countries, basic human decency, or "being polite", isn't something people fake solely to get more money out of someone.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

Not always.

I recently tipped 50 baht for a haircut (one of the few things I tip for anymore) after politely thanking him for a good job and the traditional-looking old Thai bloke took it without any sign of appreciation whatsoever.

Was he too proud to show appreciation for the tip?

Was it not enough?

Did I insult him by thinking he needed more than the normal rate?

Japanese people, for example, are insulted by tipping.

I dunno. Anyway, next time I might not bother with that guy.

I’ve lost count of the times I’ve regretted leaving a tip. I don’t want anyone to grovel, that’s not why I tip, but to feel like you’ve done something wrong is not on! 

59 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

LOL. How do I know about her heart? But yes, efficient and good service deserves tipping. Depends on my order, though. If I ordered for, say, 120 baht, no way I'd tip 30 baht. Anyone who tips more than 10 to 15% is in my eyes either a sucker, or filthy rich, and I'm neither.

Yeah you’d have to be filthy rich to leave more than 12 baht tip.

• Haha 1

On 8/19/2023 at 6:56 PM, Ralf001 said:

Already paid to do their job, why should I spunk more on top ?

Thailand isn't like western countries where the service people make better money, feel sorry for some of these people working for very low wages, doesn't bother me one bit to leave a little tip to make their day better.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Absolutely. Women run this country. Men are just the puppets. Without Thai women, this nation would grind to a halt in 48 hours. Not saying the men are emasculated like in the West. But, women here have alot more control and influence than you think. And that is a good thing. They have better judgment than men! 

No,

I don't accept.

Government as in PM and DPM , males, cabinet nearly all males, military all males, Senate- males, house of representatives - males, Province governors nearly all male.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

you berate me for what you accuse me of dictating - the other guy  - you berate him for having an opinion... start your own forum and make a rule that nobody can post something you don't agree with.... 

You and the other guy resort to the name calling when other people do not share your views on tipping, you then try to force these views but belittling people who have different or opposing views.

Why don't you start a forum?

• Sad 1

I tend to tip delivery people generously, even for (not unreasonably) late food delivery.

I can more than afford it and I like to see the faces light up with a surprised smile, as they usually probably expect nothing. Round up a 220b cash delivery to 300b and watch the astonishment. ????

Edited by HandsomeTallFarang
  • Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

read some history if you are capable - why do you think there is sin sod? Ladies have value... but you are probably an 'i dont pay no sin sod' type guy - - assimilation must be really challenging with limited means.

I have managed to be in the country and run a successful business and been here 30 years and also managed to be with the same partner for 27 years.

Further managed to get myself educated and learn the Thai language and also managed to educate two girls , one who has finished university and the second, just about to finish this next year.

I didn't need sin sod, I think I have managed to assimilate myself reasonably well.

Ladies have value? Does that mean that males don't? 

What a weird thing to say. And here you go again with your posts,..... back to petty or snide insults.

Can you not debate without sliding into insults or pretending you have a superior intellect or background?  Because I doubt you do.

Edited by Scouse123
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/19/2023 at 7:32 PM, Jingthing said:

One thing I can't shake.

Overtipping barbers especially if I'm using them regularly. 

It's definitely not the Thai custom but I just can't help it. 

Wow now that I think of it I'm guilty of this too. Used to see a guy here down sukhumvit and always left a good amount for tip, haircut was dirt cheap. 100 baht tip every time. 

Best haircuts ever and fresh razor blade straight razor line up neckline+ sideburns. He does a good job and it's only once a month or so.

Edited by HandsomeTallFarang

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

How does one reply to a statement like that? Did you really consider it, before posting it? 

A waitress, who is trying to survive on $15-20 a day is expected to tip? And a foreigner who might have an income in the hundreds of thousands of baht a month, with many millions of baht invested is not? And somehow there is some equivalence? Huh? 

Let's suppose I have a bill of 1000 and I tip her 20% (200 baht).

Then, she goes to a Thai restaurant with table service and spends the 200 baht on her food and a drink.

Do you think she would tip 20% (40 baht) to the less fortunate waitress there? No chance.

20 baht? I don't think so.

10 baht? I doubt it.

5 baht? Maybe.

2-3 baht? Probably, if she doesn't want shrapnel in her purse.

Now, just imagine that waitress is your own kid. ????

I happen to have Thai family who have worked service jobs. They get tipped nothing. Zero.

Edited by FruitPudding