What is the tipping practice in Thailand ?

observer90210

20 minutes ago, Tropposurfer said:

'We're not in Kansas anymore Toto.'

Percentages considered appropriate as a tip in one country doesn't necessarily translate as appropriate in another.

'Up to you' as we say here. Tip what you like. 

Thank you.

3 hours ago, patman30 said:

i let the wife pay for everything
saves me a fortune.

Have you had the experience in a market 

where a trader asks your wife right in front of you “Auntie, help me get some ngung off this buffalo”?

Then she responds this “buffalo” is my husband and it’s my money too!  

• Confused 2

5 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

No it doesn't and you are putting western values on it. Over here you are forgotten as soon as you walk out the door.

I have found the opposite - Though I don't think it is as much about my tipping, which is decent, but more about the fact that I am friendly, I smile, and I am appreciative... 

Tipping was not an expected thing and WAS brought here by the Americans. Let's not go down the American values system

And then in another response you don't seem to like bigots?? if you want to crap on generosity and kindness - well, that says a lot about you - right? 

If it makes you feel better, then do it

It makes me feel better, it makes the recipient feel better - but thanks for your permission... 

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/19/2023 at 5:16 PM, Brickleberry said:

No idea.

Servers will always come to me for the money, but will always give the change back to my wife.

It is not meant to offend - it is a matriarchal society and the women tend to be more responsible with money than men. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

I have found the opposite - Though I don't think it is as much about my tipping, which is decent, but more about the fact that I am friendly, I smile, and I am appreciative... 

And then in another response you don't seem to like bigots?? if you want to crap on generosity and kindness - well, that says a lot about you - right? 

It makes me feel better, it makes the recipient feel better - but thanks for your permission... 

Yet,

Who are you to dictate to the rest of us the rights and wrongs about tipping?

Bigoted, a person who sees no views other than their own and refuses to acknowledge any others  and that is how I find your responses.

2 hours ago, Fairynuff said:

Whether it’s the norm or not is irrelevant, it’s absolutely right to tip for good service and it will always be appreciated. Those who are so vehemently against tipping are just too stingy.

in your opinion!

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

On 8/19/2023 at 4:55 PM, Stocky said:

There isn't really a practice of tipping in Thailand.

Personally, in restaurant I just round up, though these days with QR code scan to pay I just pay the bill. However, if a waiter/waitress has been particularly attentive I'll probably put a 100 in hand as leaving. Hotels I just leave the shrapnel, handymen/maids are already being paid to do a job. Taxis just round up. 

Always tip the maids and bellman 

5 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I do tip a little in restaurants, have to really as staff are preoccupied by the tips (bosses fault for that) and they can become tip nazis if you don't. Not as if service is complex, take the order and deliver it.

I'd quite like a restaurant where you pick up your orders kinda same as McDonald's, a few bars like that, works well, go to the fridge pick a drink and pay for it

Even shabby counter top beer bars in Bangkok, where they are blaring counterfeit movies out in fan cooled walk ups expect tipping nowadays. For what? Getting a beer out of a fridge and put it on the table top. What are they there for?

Upcountry they would look at you stupid for tipping for something like that.

I like the UK system, order beer, pay beer, walk away. Finished.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 1FinickyOne said:

It is not meant to offend - it is a matriarchal society and the women tend to be more responsible with money than men. 

Thailand is a matriarchal society?

I don't think so.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

I noticed it very quickly when I arrived in Thailand, older Thai lady standing in the rain waiting for Taxi, multiple taxi's drive past her to pick me up instead, even when I redirected the taxi back to her instead of me they refused.

The tipping expectation can have a negative impact on everyday locals particularly outside tourist areas.

Tourists getting milked in prime spots is one thing but taking that to local culture your act of kindness can end up being the opposite.

Find a balance with awareness of local culture.

On 8/19/2023 at 6:37 PM, Jingthing said:

Round up or nothing for cheap meal.

20 baht per person for a modest meal.

30 to 50 baht per person for an expensive meal.

Forget percentages. You're not in Kansas anymore.

If service charge has been added, then it gets tricky as often the restaurant just takes that money.

When I see a service charge which is always 17% in the small print, I just refuse to pay it as the restaurant is trying to deceive me. Of course I will not be returning to that restaurant for obvious reasons.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

When I see a service charge which is always 17% in the small print, I just refuse to pay it as the restaurant is trying to deceive me. Of course I will not be returning to that restaurant for obvious reasons.

No deception, as has to be noted on menu somewhere.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

23 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Ive done not very well paid jobs. Nobody gave me a tip.... for doing the job I was being paid to do.

I tip in Thailand, in situations when I wouldn't in the UK. I would tip in a bar in Thailand, but wouldn't in the UK. I realise that if people leave 20-40 Baht tips it's quite a lot to somone who's on very little money.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

Have you had the experience in a market 

where a trader asks your wife right in front of you “Auntie, help me get some ngung off this buffalo”?

Then she responds this “buffalo” is my husband and it’s my money too!  

"Ferang Lor" means Buffalo, right?
each to their own but i did not marry an old hag that every trader in the market would be able to call "auntie"
and when we did go to the market was mostly for the butcher
they all knew my wife and i as each time we would spend 5-10k

What is the tipping practice in Thailand ?

After years of observation it boils down to this:

If you have no facility to burn household waste after nightfall, then you take it and anything else to tip to any expanse of open roadside land and tip it there (after dark) along with the already accumulated piles of c rap

Edited by Regyai
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

Yet,

Who are you to dictate to the rest of us the rights and wrongs about tipping?

Bigoted, a person who sees no views other than their own and refuses to acknowledge any others  and that is how I find your responses.

how can I even begin to respond? I state my own opinion and how it is for me - no dictating... you don't read too well - - you must be from... well, you know where. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

Thailand is a matriarchal society?

I don't think so.

read some history if you are capable - why do you think there is sin sod? Ladies have value... but you are probably an 'i dont pay no sin sod' type guy - - assimilation must be really challenging with limited means.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

I'm not offended in the slightest. I trust my wife completely, and she handles most of the bills in the home. Just pointing out the state of things. It also happens when we go shopping, if we pay in cash at 7/11, Big C, Makro etc.

14 minutes ago, Brickleberry said:

I'm not offended in the slightest. I trust my wife completely, and she handles most of the bills in the home. Just pointing out the state of things. It also happens when we go shopping, if we pay in cash at 7/11, Big C, Makro etc.

I always try to get the groceries shopping at the open air markets done by the maid and stay a bit at distance when she bargains the price. I prefer to give her af fair tip at the end of the shopping, and pass my privilege of paying the special farang price at the market????

• Like 2

13 hours ago, cobra said:

I fully agree, personally I've seldom seen a tip go unappreciated or to whatever extent was not of some benefit.

Cheap Charlies will always decry that westerners are spoiling the locals by over-tipping,

they'll rationalize any and every reason to under tip, or not tip at all and that's fair, each to their own.

I even tip the contracted Burmese beggar with her dirty faced baby or the crawling armless though I know they'll probably never receive much or anything I give them.

I've done well in this life, yes, I'm that westerner who tips heavy and makes the rest of you look cheap, not to mention the spit-free coffee I'll enjoy, lol 

Good on you. Being generous keeps the heart open, has minimal effect on our own financial well being, but it sure benefits those in need. 

• Thumbs Up 1