What does this sign at the gold shop mean?

topswijaya

Typical newbie.

Probably thinking it must be so easy to trade gold selling it to shops. Kinda like buying a condo in Thailand and if it does not work out you can always sell it for a small loss.

Except there is this small thing called commission.

lol

18 minutes ago, topswijaya said:

the difference is so small ( 100 bht per 15.2 gram gold bar)

Edited by Celsius
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

You'd have yourself a lot of trouble if you learnt how to use Google Lens live translate function. I'm lost in Thailand without it.

About time you had a crack at learning the local language!

• Love It 1

1 hour ago, 2baht said:

About time you had a crack at learning the local language!

I am reasonably proficient in verbal Thai. Not fluent, but I can converse with most Thais adequately.

Written Thai is a much more difficult dimension, particularly when the words are all strung together.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Gold is not an investment. It's a currency hedge,

It is a very bad hedge, same as bitcoin.

If Gold was currency hedge the price would be much higher today/

I bought some gold (only 7oz) in 2012 at the price of around $1600. Today the price of gold is what.... not even $1900. Yes, I bought at the top, but even if this was the case the prices of everything tripled since 2012.  I bought me a condo in Toronto for 235k now it is 600k.... and I only invested 25% of that money.... the rest was a bank loan which was paid by my tenants.

BTW, if I sold that condo today they bank would be paying me minimum $2300 monthly for a term loan in Canada. With that I could buy 1oz of gold every month, but I don't want to because it is a lousy henge. Instead for physical things I buy Star Wars and Lego. Yeah.... you heard that right.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Celsius said:

It is a very bad hedge, same as bitcoin.

If Gold was currency hedge the price would be much higher today/

I bought some gold (only 7oz) in 2012 at the price of around $1600. Today the price of gold is what.... not even $1900. Yes, I bought at the top, but even if this was the case the prices of everything tripled since 2012.  I bought me a condo in Toronto for 235k now it is 600k.... and I only invested 25% of that money.... the rest was a bank loan which was paid by my tenants.

BTW, if I sold that condo today they bank would be paying me minimum $2300 monthly for a term loan in Canada. With that I could buy 1oz of gold every month, but I don't want to because it is a lousy henge. Instead for physical things I buy Star Wars and Lego. Yeah.... you heard that right.

Comparing gold to bitcoin IMO is utterly ridiculous. Bitcoin is a stream of electrons in cyberspace. It is akin to a religion, in that it can't be touched, seen or felt. No-one can say that about physical gold.

Gold does fluctuate in value. However, its variation has nothing on bitcoin, which at several stages has lost about 80% of its value, the most recent being late 2022.

I'd agree property is a good investment, although as I type there are quite a few mortgage holders in Australia under extreme stress.

• Thumbs Up 1