Education visa for kids would love some help !

Hello guys, love this website, just so invaluable. 

Quick question, i am applying for an education visa for my child in the UK, to study at a school in Chiang Mai. We have all the letters and relevent information. 

Just a few quick questions if anyone can help - 

The visa is listed as "Non-Immigrant Type ED (To study in a basic education level (elementary, primary, and secondary school, or to study in a short course (Thai or English language) - single entry only)"

I have a few bizarre questions regarding this :

I take it this visa is only for 3 months. What happens after that? We are paying massive fees for the school, and this all seems rather risky to not have a valid visa beyond 3 months. 

The visa says single entry. As we plan to travel abroad during the first 3 months, does that mean my child's visa will be cancelled ?!

I hope someone can give some guidance on this! 

There's also some rather strange questions on the form guidance saying we need to provide evidence of 

• Financial evidence e.g. bank statements, proof of earnings, proof of sponsorship from a third party
  • Confirmation of legal residence in the UK or Ireland

How does a child provide financial evidence, or confirmation of legal residence (other than passport?). 

Just soul destroying going through this. 

The initial Non Ed visa will, indeed, only be for 90 days. This will be extended in Thailand by one year at a time with the assistance of the school. If your child will study at an international school in Chiang Mai, do not worry. The school will have lots of experience, and your child's immigration status will be easy to deal with.

For a trip out of Thailand (whether during the initial 90 days, or when the permission to stay has been extended) you need to get a re-entry permit (1,000 baht at the immigration office, 1,000 or 1,200 baht at the airport).

For proof of residence for a child, the passport is sufficient. For proof of finance, just provide a note that, as the parent, you take responsibility.

Should any mistake ever be made with respect to your child breaching immigration law, there is no drama. A child up to the age of 15 is not subject to penalties.

• Like 1

@AndrewMciver 

1. What is your child's planned arrival date in Thailand?

2. What will be the starting date in school?

3. How old is your child?

As BritTim said, the school will assist with the annual applications of permission to stay for the reason of studying but at some point during the initial 30 days of permission to stay your child and you must probably be available to go to the immigration office for the application of the first one-year extension of stay.