Medicine with SS.

Neeranam

50 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Called them no answer, 15 minutes of annoying music was enough.

Tried the chat but they could only say the medicine had to be issued by the doctor and told me to contact the office in Hua HIn. 

So they answered your question: "Can I get the medicine from a Drug Store or at the hospital without seeing a doctor?" 

Show your security card at the doctor and you will find out if you have to pay anything. 

With a few exceptions (very new drugs not on MoPH list) SS will fully cover medications.  They have to be ordered by a doctor at your nominated SS hospital and obtained from that hospital pharmacy. Not difficult to arrange but will involve time/waits. Up to you if the savings are worth it.

In  few parts of the country (I think parts of Bangkok) govt is experimenting with system to let outside pharmacies  provide refills to ease hospital congestion but this is a long way from full implementation. 

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

With a few exceptions (very new drugs not on MoPH list) SS will fully cover medications.  They have to be ordered by a doctor at your nominated SS hospital and obtained from that hospital pharmacy. Not difficult to arrange but will involve time/waits. Up to you if the savings are worth it.

In  few parts of the country (I think parts of Bangkok) govt is experimenting with system to let outside pharmacies  provide refills to ease hospital congestion but this is a long way from full implementation. 

Thanks Sheryl. 

On 8/22/2023 at 11:10 PM, Middle Aged Grouch said:

Why not just walk into the pharmacy and ask them showing your card ?

That is not how SS works here.

SS members must select a single hospital and all care  including medications has to be obtained at nominated hospital. (Exception being if SS hospital refers patient elsewhere for care thry cannot provide). 

• 2 months later...
On 8/22/2023 at 11:55 PM, Sheryl said:

That is not how SS works here.

SS members must srlect a fjngle hospital and all care  including medications has to be obtained at nominated hospital. (Exception being if SS hospital refers patient elsewhere for care thry cannot provide). 

Indeed, The latest is that I can't use my SS as I changed province/hospitals and I have to wait 6 months! However, i used it for asthma medication 2 weeks ago. 

15 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Indeed, The latest is that I can't use my SS as I changed province/hospitals and I have to wait 6 months! However, i used it for asthma medication 2 weeks ago. 

I don't think this is true. Who told a 6 month wait?

7 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

It is the Premium Clinic in Hua Hin Hospital, who I get the feeling are not happy taking people on SS. I used it in the main hospital a couple of weeks ago and there was no problem. 

I have to go back to get a 24 hour heart test, which involves some kind of monitor to take home. The doctor said,I could use the SS. The clinic told me to contact the Main desk in the main Hospital. The woman there said I was still registered in another province and I told her I wasn't, I'd been to the SS office already and changed. She told me to return with copy of my ID, Housebook(which is still i another province) and some utility bill or proof I am staying here. 

4 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

It is the Premium Clinic in Hua Hin Hospital, who I get the feeling are not happy taking people on SS. I used it in the main hospital a couple of weeks ago and there was no problem. 

I have to go back to get a 24 hour heart test, which involves some kind of monitor to take home. The doctor said,I could use the SS. The clinic told me to contact the Main desk in the main Hospital. The woman there said I was still registered in another province and I told her I wasn't, I'd been to the SS office already and changed. She told me to return with copy of my ID, Housebook(which is still i another province) and some utility bill or proof I am staying here. 

There is no 6 month wait when you change hospitals. And from what you say, you already used your SS at that hospital?

However the extra service fee in the Premium Clinic is probably not covered,, you may have to pay the difference.

Return to main desk with the request documents (or those of them that you have - maybe just ID plus  rental contract or utility bill) and have the local SS office on speed dial. It seems they just need to update the system at the hospital to show you are under SS there. They seem to be wanting proof you live in Hia Hin, though to my knowledge it is only un der the 30 baht system that one has to be registered as living in that locality, Many people with SS are enrolled at a hospital in a province other than where they have house registration (for example, may work in a different province and select a hospital convenient to that). Office may have been confusing SS and the 30 baht scheme.

All this said, if you are actually living in Hua Hin now (as I assume you are if you changed your SS hospital to be there),  at some point you will need to update your house registration/ID card anyhow.

2 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

There is no 6 month wait when you change hospitals. And from what you say, you already used your SS at that hospital?

However the extra service fee in the Premium Clinic is probably not covered,, you may have to pay the difference.

Return to main desk with the request documents (or those of them that you have - maybe just ID plus  rental contract or utility bill) and have the local SS office on speed dial. It seems they just need to update the system at the hospital to show you are under SS there. They seem to be wanting proof you live in Hia Hin, though to my knowledge it is only un der the 30 baht system that one has to be registered as living in that locality, Many people with SS are enrolled at a hospital in a province other than where they have house registration (for example, may work in a different province and select a hospital convenient to that). Office may have been confusing SS and the 30 baht scheme.

All this said, if you are actually living in Hua Hin now (as I assume you are if you changed your SS hospital to be there),  at some point you will need to update your house registration/ID card anyhow.

Thanks Sherly, another thing she said was I need a card from the local SS office, but they told me they don't give cards anymore. 

Doctors here prescribe low quality generic meds when using social security and 30b scheme.

I thought there would be no difference by using generics, but was told otherwise by some doctors. With some drugs there seems to be quite a difference in quality. 

28 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

you can only change hospital on SS from mid December till the end of March of every year, 

I did it myself on the app this year and the confirmation is a couple of days

3 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Thanks Sherly, another thing she said was I need a card from the local SS office, but they told me they don't give cards anymore. 

Indeed they do not. Try again and put them on the phone with the local SS office.

1 minute ago, digbeth said:

you can only change hospital on SS from mid December till the end of March of every year, 

I did it myself on the app this year and the confirmation is a couple of days

Not sure but I believe there are some exceptions to this e.g. when changing jobs or moving to new location.

OP probably falls into last category and states he was already able to make the change at his local SS office.

I've been in Private Hospitals on SS in Bangkok where they would have wings for SS only, usually out the back where the queues are longer and doctors' time limited 

If you had walked in to the private or after hours clinic portion of the hospital it's very likely they won't accept SS and you have to pay out of pocket