How do i ensure Landlord will return deposit ?

On 8/24/2023 at 8:37 AM, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

I think those regulations only apply to landlords that own five or more properties. I think it is also probably difficult and expensive to enforce as a tenant.

Very easy to enforce as a tenant.... dont sign the rent contract if you don't like the terns and conditions !!

• Haha 1

On 8/24/2023 at 7:28 AM, DonniePeverley said:

Quick question for you guys - so we are renting a considerable condo in Bangkok. We will have it for 2 years, rent approx 80,000 Baht a month. 

Landlord wants 2 months deposit, and 1 month rent upfront. I am curious as to how i know the Landlord will return my deposit. He is from China (not that it matters, just stating he is not Thai). 

Anything i can do to protect myself or any general advice on the matter ? I have not signed any contract yet. 

Insist on the money going to an escrow a/c 

• Haha 1

I would ask the agent this same question - - make them partly a part of the process... ask if there is an independent 3rd party who will check.. ask if the owner has a history of not returning deposits. 

that said, nobody can insure the landlord that the tenant will leave the place clean and undamaged.

I agreed to pay 2 months deposit but had the contract changed to say that one month would be used for the final months rent, and the other for damages etc. My landlord was fine with it, and was probably expecting me to bail on the last month's rent anyway, this just made it official.