Pattaya roads - scary stuff !

Mormolin

1 hour ago, Henryford said:

Never mind crossing the street i was nearly run over crossing the pavement the other day,

Too many thai males in Pattaya . And to answer the question: Yes safe crossing are easy but you may have to wait 20 minutes for a clearing- your call

Edited by morrobay

5 hours ago, morrobay said:

Too many thai males in Pattaya . And to answer the question: Yes safe crossing are easy but you may have to wait 20 minutes for a clearing- your call

"Too many Thai males in Pattaya" What a strange statement. Pattaya is already more Western than many UK towns/cities.

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

41 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

A momentary lapse, I'm sure, as I assume you've been in Thailand long enough to always, always, always look both ways. Even on a one-way street.

I do more clumsy and absent minded things these days in Pattaya... I had been struggling with road crossings anyhow, after an ankle injury caused by missing tiles on the pavement.... that injury was on the mend until Sunday when someone popped out of a doorway and yelled 'massage' in my ear, and I sidestepped into another hole due to a missing pavement tile. I need to buy a clown suit!

• Haha 2

54 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

A momentary lapse, I'm sure, as I assume you've been in Thailand long enough to always, always, always look both ways. Even on a one-way street.

Especially on a one way street. Some of the more cunning drivers consider it a great opportunity to save a few seconds of transport time.

• Like 2

I hate the insersection of Thappraya and Thepprasit, Jomtien. And nearby.

How on earth can they make such a big crossing without pedestrian red lights??

On this very place, Thailand is strongly back in time, dangerous for all.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Love It 1

3 hours ago, RocketDog said:

Especially on a one way street. Some of the more cunning drivers consider it a great opportunity to save a few seconds of transport time.

Thais are great ones for shortcuts, they just can't resist them. Take the central reservation between lanes of a dual carriageway during roadworks. Anywhere that there's space to squeeze a bike between bollards becomes an unofficial track across to the other lane. Often followed by them riding against the flow of traffic. It's not as though going to the correct u-turn requires any legwork. Bless them.

• Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, Mormolin said:

Has anyone successfully crossed the street in Pattaya without having a near-death experience?

Asking for my adrenaline levels

All the time.

Look, watch, keep looking and always remember that, as the pedestrian, you will be the one who comes off worst in any collision.  I purposely use the new crossings on Second Road and will (carefully and looking directly at the driver) walk out in front of approaching traffic.  Most will stop.  If and when I become slow or infirm then maybe I will have more difficulty, but until then, I will continue as I do now

When driving, I also make a point of stopping at the crossings with lights on Beach, Second and Third Road if they are at red.  Turn of hazard lights as I slow to alert the sleepy behind me just in case....

PH

23 hours ago, bbko said:

If you were to believe all the cowardly lions stories here on AN you'd think you can't walk 10 minutes in Pattaya without tripping, falling, getting hit, mugged, pickpocketed, scammed, etc.

For those of us that aren't afraid of our own shadow, just be safe, look where you're walking and look both ways twice when crossing the street. It's been working for me and I've been living here for almost 17 years.

Is genuflecting required in your presence? :wai:

• Love It 1

On 8/24/2023 at 8:15 PM, bbko said:

If you were to believe all the cowardly lions stories here on AN you'd think you can't walk 10 minutes in Pattaya without tripping, falling, getting hit, mugged, pickpocketed, scammed, etc.

For those of us that aren't afraid of our own shadow, just be safe, look where you're walking and look both ways twice when crossing the street. It's been working for me and I've been living here for almost 17 years.

And there lies the problem.  Tiktok culture.  Attention span of 5 year olds everywhere. Ban mobile phones and the internet and that problem goes away. 

3 hours ago, bbbbooboo said:

Hmmm…. Definitely be very , very careful on pedestrian crossings in Pattaya( Thailand generally). It might be my imagination but i’m sure Thai drivers speed up for crossings and take aim for you if they see you on one.

The first year I was here it seemed that way to me also.

I've come to understand that they aren't aiming for you, but they surely don't care if they accidentally kill you, and clearly don't care if they die too.

Nothing will change until the people themselves tire of losing friends and family on the roads.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bbbbooboo said:

Hmmm…. Definitely be very , very careful on pedestrian crossings in Pattaya( Thailand generally). It might be my imagination but i’m sure Thai drivers speed up for crossings and take aim for you if they see you on one.

For certain.... I am absolutely sure they deliberately buzz you, on foot, or if you are on a motorcycle.... as if to deliberately scare you in retaliation for using their road/ lane.

Screenshot_2023-08-26-08-52-09-13.thumb.jpg.e59d81672964830bdc7fc5e0035b7cf3.jpg

19 hours ago, Antiparovian said:

"Too many Thai males in Pattaya" What a strange statement. Pattaya is already more Western than many UK towns/cities.

Evidently you are deflecting from the context here Hoss. This is about Pattaya not the UK or Madagascar. If your not in Pattaya then refer to the Pattaya news section. Even Stevie Wonder could see who 90% of the (too many) screw ups around here are

Edited by morrobay
  • Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Knowledge is knowing it is a one-way street. 

Wisdom is looking both ways anyway????

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, 5davidhen1 said:

The thing which amazes me is the removal of rear light bulbs on motorcycles.

They are more afraid of ghosts following them home, than of being rear-shunted (and possibly killed) by an inattentive following driver.

Never heard that one before, I believe it right away, they think lottery is more likely than retirement too.