Local Thai restaurants

lovely thai

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 8/28/2023 at 4:59 PM, KannikaP said:

The OP's message is very vague, not very clear

What is unclear in this? I am inquiring about no tourist-oriented restaurants in Bangkok. Please enhance your English comprehension, or should I provide you with some education?

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Not at all - but first post after registration asking for a list with Thai/English names seems a bit much,

am i not allowed to ask such question? do you feel the need i just should be quiet and lick you shoe because i am Thai??  because thats the feeling your giving me 

• Confused 2
  • Love It 1

3 minutes ago, NamRutai said:

What is unclear in this? I am inquiring about no tourist-oriented restaurants in Bangkok. Please enhance your English comprehension, or should I provide you with some education?

Well, you have just posted,  "Tankyou", is that Tinglish...............????

May I suggest installing LT spell and grammar checker, it's excellent...????

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NamRutai said:

am i not allowed to ask such question? do you feel the need i just should be quiet and lick you shoe because i am Thai??  because thats the feeling your giving me 

I hope not the return of "Yinn", I mean, for a new member, you do seem a bit, eeer, angry...............????

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, NamRutai said:

What do you regard as being a restaurant ?

A restaurant in the West is usually a plush restaurant with waiter service and open in the evening and quite expensive and a restaurant in Thailand can just be a shop selling chicken and rice 

These Are The Top 10 Restaurants In The UK… According To The National Restaurant  Awards - The Handbook

AC Market Food Court in Sai Mai Bangkok

• Confused 2

Whoa!! Why is it unclear? Because Bangkok is such a huge city number one. Add to that the traffic and difficulties getting to some establishments. 

You have put no parameters on your study and you should have. Your research is seriously flawed.

Example if you live in the LaSalle/Bearing area what good is a restaurant in the Laksi/Don Muang area?

Perhaps if you had indicated what research you are doing and why, you might get better responses. This may be why you are getting "snarky" answers.  May I ask you, are you always so demanding and condescending? This attitude will not do you much good here. Good luck as I for one dont like the attitude or lack of research parameters in totality. Other than that have a great day.. 

Edited by marin

10 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

A restaurant in the West is usually a plush restaurant with waiter service and open in the evening and quite expensive

BS! Price and timing have nothing to do with it!

From the Oxford English Dictionary!

restaurant  
n    noun a place where people pay to sit and eat meals that are cooked and served on the premises. 

ORIGIN
    C19: from French, from restaurer 'provide food for' (literally 'restore to a former state').

Edited by scottiejohn
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

A restaurant in the West is usually a plush restaurant with waiter service and open in the evening and quite expensive and a restaurant in Thailand can just be a shop selling chicken and rice 

These Are The Top 10 Restaurants In The UK… According To The National Restaurant  Awards - The Handbook

AC Market Food Court in Sai Mai Bangkok

McDonald's is a restaurant.....................:coffee1:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, transam said:

I hope not the return of "Yinn", I mean, for a new member, you do seem a bit, eeer, angry...............????

I think rightly so... A very simply and valid question has been asked and the Op has received some pretty moronic responses.

I am personally interested in this thread as I often have guests visiting and it would good to learn of other Thai restaurants (restaurants which serve Thai food) that I could visit with guests. 

I know there are hundreds around, but some are better than others, some have a nicer setting etc, some are just rubbishy tourist rip-offs and some are spit 'n sawdust but authentic and amazing.

This thread is not really any different than a 'best burger' thread which for some reason doesn't attract the same decree moronic responses.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

Don't be ridiculous... 

We're in Thailand... a restaurant is somewhere where you can sit down an order food, in this case, Thai food - thats as complex is this question needs to get. 

Yes please, my English comprehension is very bad, which is why I misunderstood your OP.

Would the lessons be face to face, or online please?

Just now, scottiejohn said:

BS!

From the Oxford English Dictionary!

restaurant  
n    noun a place where people pay to sit and eat meals that are cooked and served on the premises. 

ORIGIN
    C19: from French, from restaurer 'provide food for' (literally 'restore to a former state').

(Stop with all this "BS" all just talk normally, thanks)

I do know what the word restaurant means, you don't need to give me a  dictionary description .

"Restaurant" has a different meaning in Thailand as it does back in the West , like a Fish and Chip shop wouldnt be referred to as a Restaurant back in the West , whilst a 50 Baht chicken and rice shop in Thailand is often referred to as "going to a restaurant" 

Did She ask about proper restaurants where its 400 Baht for Pad Thai , or just cheap food outlets where its 40 Baht for Pad Thai ?

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, marin said:

Whoa!! Why is it unclear? Because Bangkok is such a huge city number one. Add to that the traffic and difficulties getting to some establishments. 

So what... Difficult for you to get to is someone else's 'next door'.... so your point is utterly irrelevant. 

You have put no parameters on your study and you should have. Your research is seriously flawed.

Very clear parameters.... Non-Touristy Thai Restaurant...  Thats simple. 

If you dont understand that, it is you who is flawed. 

Example if you live in the LaSalle/Bearing area what good is a restaurant in the Laksi/Don Muang area?

Good - What Thai restaurants in the LaSalle / Bearing area do you think are good ?

(it wasn't difficult was it !)

Perhaps if you had indicated what research you are doing and why, you might get better responses. This may be why you are getting "snarky" answers.  May I ask you are you always so demanding and condescending? This attitude will not do you much good here. Good luck as I for one dont like the attitude or lack of research parameters in totality. Other than that have a great day.. 

She's getting snarky answers because idiots are bullying a new poster.

The question is a simple one and the answers could be handy to many of us who are interested in visiting different Thai restaurants. 

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Don't be ridiculous... 

We're in Thailand... a restaurant is somewhere where you can sit down an order food, in this case, Thai food - thats as complex is this question needs to get. 

The S.F cinema city food Court has a rather nice shrimp Pad Thai for 50 Baht , well worth a visit 

MBK Food Island in Bangkok, Thailand

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

(Stop with all this "BS" all just talk normally, thanks)

I do know what the word restaurant means, you don't need to give me a  dictionary description .

"Restaurant" has a different meaning in Thailand as it does back in the West , like a Fish and Chip shop wouldnt be referred to as a Restaurant back in the West , whilst a 50 Baht chicken and rice shop in Thailand is often referred to as "going to a restaurant" 

Did She ask about proper restaurants where its 400 Baht for Pad Thai , or just cheap food outlets where its 40 Baht for Pad Thai ?

She asked about Thai restuarants, and anyone who can't work out what that is is a fool. 

For the record... A 'Fish & Chip' shop in teh UK is a 'take-away restaurant'...

... and some of them you can 'eat in'.... in which case its just a 'restaurant' that sells Fish & Chips !

In this case its pretty clear that the op wants...

A non-touristy, Thai Restaurant (restaurant selling Thai food) in which a person or group can sit down and eat.....

Its really not difficult - why are so many people being pr!cks about this ??

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, transam said:

Well, you have just posted,  "Tankyou", is that Tinglish...............????

May I suggest installing LT spell and grammar checker, it's excellent...????

There are native English speakers who's grammar and spelling is worse. 

If what is being written is easily understood, then there is no issue. 

A 'grammar checker' would help someone learning the language (and many of us), but I wonder if your point is not to offer advice but to kick someone who is on the receiving end of some very unfair comments. 

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

There are native English speakers who's grammar and spelling is worse. 

If what is being written is easily understood, then there is no issue. 

A 'grammar checker' would help someone learning the language (and many of us), but I wonder if your point is not to offer advice but to kick someone who is on the receiving end of some very unfair comments. 

For a new member, she has been a little over the top with her replies, for which I would not expect.

Want's to teach us English and writes "Tankyou"..........????

Sorry, but at times I can be suspicious, as I do remember similar.

But, we are now waaaay off-topic, so back to the nosh venues.....????

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Nick Carter icp said:

This restaurant does great plain chicken and rice two course meal for 40 Baht , first course is chicken soup 

Thailand's best street food: readers' travel tips | Thailand holidays | The  Guardian

Great !!...   if you were genuine of course you'd post the name and location. 

This restaurant has a a Michelin star....  (319 Maha Chai Rd - Raan Jay Fai)

... however, its well and truly on the tourists 'to do list'...   

image.jpeg.1c02977b9b050d480051d321b88d1042.jpeg

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, transam said:

For a new member, she has been a little over the top with her replies, for which I would not expect.

Want's to teach us English and writes "Tankyou"..........????

She suggested she'd teach KannikaP with some Education, as he claimed a very simple question was 'very vague, not very clear'....

Nothing wrong with the Ops question, plenty wrong with the utter stupidity of some of the replies. 

Sorry, but at times I can be suspicious, as I do remember similar.

Yup... Yinn was a bit hard-core and many suspected she was a Western male playing the part. 

I thing its fair enough for us to give the Op the benifit of the doubt on this one - its a reasonable question, not to far off the 'where's the best burger' type of question. 

But, we are now waaaay off-topic, so back to the nosh venues.....????

Yup...    I'd be interested to hear what others have to say.... 

Once we have got past Nick Carter's trolling responses. 

8 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

So do you now agree that this is both a restaurant and a Thai restaurant?

Yes, that has always been my point .

There are Western style restaurants which are called restaurants and a restaurant in Thailand is any shop which sells food . 

Is she asking about a restaurant in the Western sense of the word, or a restaurant  in the Thai sense of the word ?

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, NamRutai said:

You're getting negative responses because some of us think you are a troll. 

You all the boxes in that regard; just joined, multiple usernames posting the same topic, avatar is a picture of a decent looking girl, asking white dudes about "Thai restaurants" ????

Just now, Nick Carter icp said:

Yes, that has always been my point .

There are Western style restaurants which are called restaurants and a restaurant in Thailand is any shop which sells food . 

Is she asking about a restaurant in the Western sense of the word, or a restaurant  in the Thai sense of the word ?

I assumed she was talking about those big ol' restaurants where the Thais go to eat and drink. My buddy's Thai wife takes us to them whenever we are off traveling together.

Chang or Singh beer towers and all sorts of weird and wonderful stuff that you rarely hear whitey talking about in here, most of them only know pad Thai and massaman curry.

Certainly not for 40 baht a plate and you better being your cheque book if you're the big boss and it's your turn to pay.

The only place where the cooking is done with good oils, Extra virgin olive oil particularly, at the right temperature to avoid oxidation and thermal degradation, using a home made sauce that does not contain the poisonous refined sugar, seems to be in my home kitchen.

So I avoid Thai restaurants, as by definition would cook the worst food on this planet. All sauces, all of them,  come from Super Cheap mini-mart or Tesco Lotus, and are laced with some 20% of refined sugar.

I cook Thai food, but in a way that does not make it an ideal 'aid in dying'.

Avoid all Thai restaurants, if you care for your health.

• Sad 1