Bus or minivan service Kalasin to Mukkdahan?

Kalasin Jo

Anyone know if there are such services? Online search reveals nothing. I am unable to get to the bus station to enquire at the moment.

If there are such services what are the frequency, departure times, journey times and the cost.

Many thanks

26 minutes ago, Kalasin Jo said:

Anyone know if there are such services? Online search reveals nothing. I am unable to get to the bus station to enquire at the moment.

If there are such services what are the frequency, departure times, journey times and the cost.

Many thanks

There are but I don't have the info to hand.

Give the bus station a call.

043 812 513

• Thanks 1

There used to be an hourly bus KK to Mukdahan but it stopped during the pandemic and there is now just one bus a day. Fairly frequent minivans now operate in their place if you want to risk them. The bus used to leave KK around 13.30 if I remember correctly (I last took it in October), which was pretty convenient for me arriving from Bangkok and transiting from the airport to the bus terminal. So based on that I guess it is scheduled to leave Kalasin around 15.00.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I use Roi-Et airport to get to Bangkok now as I don't like the new KK airport. That airport was fine as it was, but I guess there were 'incentives' to re-build it.

Yes, I'm not sure yet about the new airport building either. As you say the old one was fine. I use KK airport alot, Roi Et is slightly further for me. When were you last at KK? I last came through  it on 24 August. Big change since May when I last used it. They have opened up more and it is better than at the half built stage. I think there is now a functioning good court, but didn't actually  check it out. The new building is so much bigger than the old one now that more walking is needed.....but nothing like Swampy. I do miss the restaurant at the top of the old building. Very handy to grab a very good bite as there was not much airside. 

27 minutes ago, Kalasin Jo said:

Yes, I'm not sure yet about the new airport building either. As you say the old one was fine. I use KK airport alot, Roi Et is slightly further for me. When were you last at KK? I last came through  it on 24 August. Big change since May when I last used it. They have opened up more and it is better than at the half built stage. I think there is now a functioning good court, but didn't actually  check it out. The new building is so much bigger than the old one now that more walking is needed.....but nothing like Swampy. I do miss the restaurant at the top of the old building. Very handy to grab a very good bite as there was not much airside. 

I haven't used it since last October. Roi-Et is slightly closer for me, but I used KK before as the bus passes my house. Now, as it pretty much no longer runs my wife drives me to Roi-Et, and it's also easier that KK to shop there. What bothers me is that there used to be around 10-12 flights a day and now it's down to three, all by Air Asia. Having also heavily modernised the airport there, although nowhere near as much as KK, if AA pull out too they'll have a 'new' airport with no flights. My experience though is that, with no competition and few flights, the planes are close to full.

3 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I haven't used it since last October. Roi-Et is slightly closer for me, but I used KK before as the bus passes my house. Now, as it pretty much no longer runs my wife drives me to Roi-Et, and it's also easier that KK to shop there. What bothers me is that there used to be around 10-12 flights a day and now it's down to three, all by Air Asia. Having also heavily modernised the airport there, although nowhere near as much as KK, if AA pull out too they'll have a 'new' airport with no flights. My experience though is that, with no competition and few flights, the planes are close to full.

I nearly always fly Thai Smile. Force of habit but also several flights a day KK. It's possible, if one must, to fly in and out of Bangkok  the same day and get done whatever needs doing in Bangkok. Did it once with the wife to get her a Schengen visa which like the UK visitor visa requires an in person attendance ( on that Thailand  is way ahead with its e-visa system, trying though it is to get the right documents uploaded).  I like that Thai Smile includes a hold bag in the price so avoiding a perhaps heavy carry on and fun at security. They also offer a " free" snack in flight. Usually a filled bun or small sandwich of some kind that is pleasant, bottle of water, wet wipe and if you dare a cup of tea or coffee. They also have a senior citizen discount. These flights are usually packed but only book up in the last few days. Thais are foresaking the beloved ( not!) bus it seems. I used the Nakonchai Air bus back in May ( don't ask why). Half empty.

1 hour ago, Kalasin Jo said:

I nearly always fly Thai Smile. Force of habit but also several flights a day KK. It's possible, if one must, to fly in and out of Bangkok  the same day and get done whatever needs doing in Bangkok. Did it once with the wife to get her a Schengen visa which like the UK visitor visa requires an in person attendance ( on that Thailand  is way ahead with its e-visa system, trying though it is to get the right documents uploaded).  I like that Thai Smile includes a hold bag in the price so avoiding a perhaps heavy carry on and fun at security. They also offer a " free" snack in flight. Usually a filled bun or small sandwich of some kind that is pleasant, bottle of water, wet wipe and if you dare a cup of tea or coffee. They also have a senior citizen discount. These flights are usually packed but only book up in the last few days. Thais are foresaking the beloved ( not!) bus it seems. I used the Nakonchai Air bus back in May ( don't ask why). Half empty.

I forgot about that discount. On the subject of buses, at one time I went monthly to Bangkok from Somdet using the bus. It took 8-9 hours and ended up being more expensive than flying from KK on whichever airline had the best price on my dates, so I switched to flying instead.

On 9/15/2023 at 10:16 PM, Bangkok Barry said:

I forgot about that discount. On the subject of buses, at one time I went monthly to Bangkok from Somdet using the bus. It took 8-9 hours and ended up being more expensive than flying from KK on whichever airline had the best price on my dates, so I switched to flying instead.

When flights were virtually non existent to Isaan and or because  I knew no better I used the bus alot. Grim, especially the dreaded "VIP" service by Chan Tours to/from Pattaya on their double deckers. My recent bus ride from Kalasin to Bangkok was definitely cheaper than flying KK to BKK. But it took all day of course and then I had an expensive taxi ride from the terminal to the hotel near Swampy which may have cancelled out any saving.

• 2 weeks later...

There was a bus, a big single decker that went regularly. Certain it still goes Kalasin to Mukdahan.

If you need any help with the Thai side of things, ask at Supak hotel. Someone will help. Different world up there to Pattaya and such. Always someone in Kalasin ready to help.

I personally enjoy Nakon Chai Air purely because I don't have to drive for the day.

Give us a shout if you need any help up there. I've got family in the area who always sort me out if I need some help.