How Much Time Screen Time a Day is Unhealthy?

Neeranam

Sitting still is bad for you. Your body was made for movement, swinging through the trees. You should get up and move around every 30 minutes.

Staring at a screen is bad for your eyes. You need to exercise your eyes for a few seconds every 5 minutes, looking sideways 'out of the corner' of your eyes, & looking at objects further away from you than your screen (ie refocussing).

I think an important part is that we know what we are doing and that we could stop anytime if we detect "strange" behavior.

I.e. a few months ago, I looked from time to time at "shorts" on YouTube. I picked what I wanted to see. And then I clicked on something else I wanted to see, or I continued with my work at the PC or independent of the PC. Fine.

And then somehow I clicked on a "Short", and after that was finished, I clicked "next" to see another unknown short, and next and next. Maybe I did this for 20min. And maybe the next day I did the same.

And then, maybe a week or two later, I realized that I watched every day maybe 30 to 60 minutes shorts. And I did this without really seeing anything. Click, kind of watch, click again, watch a little, haha, click again. And I realized that is a waste of time. And then I didn't do it anymore, because I don't want to waste my time on that level.

Obviously it is still kind of a waste of time to look videos at all or look or write in this forum. But normally I choose what I want to read and see. And as long as I make a conscious decision, then I think that is ok. 

The moment when it becomes a click, click, click routine, that is a problem. But if we realize that and then change our behavior then I think it's still fine. We/I learned something.

If I would continue to watch shorts all the time, and not being able or willing to stop, that would be a problem.

• Like 1

I noticed a young guy on here who had over 800 posts in his 3 months on here 

Now surely the mods should step in for something like that and offer support 

,that's a addiction and something going  on in that person's life eg depression or Lonilessness to post 800 posts in 3 months 

There should be a support service 

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

I noticed a young guy on here who had over 800 posts in his 3 months on here 

Now surely the mods should step in for something like that and offer support 

,that's a addiction and something going  on in that person's life eg depression or Lonilessness to post 800 posts in 3 months 

There should be a support service 

Writing 200 words takes longer than 10 short posts.

3 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Does anyone know the unhealthy amounts?

I read one thing that says over 2 hours can cause mental issues.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screen_time#:~:text=This time spent sitting and,from moderate to severe depression.

How many modern movies are over 2 hours...loads..................you could watch Barbie healthily as it is only 1h 54 !  555

If I am composing some music, I can easily be on my PC for hours on end, with no apparent mental issues.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Screen Time is different for everyone, and how much screen time is too much is a question that cannot be answered.

Anything over 16 hours per day might be too much screen time when writing or editing a thesis.

As you say, exercise is important, as sitting for too long can cause deep vein thrombosis, etc...

• Love It 1

3 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Screen Time is different for everyone, and how much screen time is too much is a question that cannot be answered.

Anything over 16 hours per day might be too much screen time when writing or editing a thesis.

As you say, exercise is important, as sitting for too long can cause deep vein thrombosis, etc...

Don't think I said anything about DVT, however, I had a swollen calf recently which I'm watching and trying to remember to stand up every hour. 

I have been staring at my computer screen some days for 12 hours a day

10-12 hours staring at computer screen some days for work, then after work sonetimes poker for 2 hours +

Also, often staring at a phone. 

I get insomnia sometimes, waking up too early. 

4 hours ago, KannikaP said:

How many modern movies are over 2 hours...loads..................you could watch Barbie healthily as it is only 1h 54 !  555

If I am composing some music, I can easily be on my PC for hours on end, with no apparent mental issues.

I don't think TV is the same as staring at a computer screen 

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Neeranam said:

I'd watch it mate, you may have a problem. 

I DO have a problem.

And I am aware.

But if I stop posting incessantly, the problem won't go away.

Ok, I have another question. 

Does posting on forums have any psychological impact on a person?

Is posting online therapeutic to some extent?

Sometimes it can be because you vent your frustrations?

You know like there was a theory that keeping a journal can be therapeutic ...

so is posting online similar? although not quite as personal as a journal. 

25 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Don't think I said anything about DVT, however, I had a swollen calf recently which I'm watching and trying to remember to stand up every hour. 

I have been staring at my computer screen some days for 12 hours a day

10-12 hours staring at computer screen some days for work, then after work sonetimes poker for 2 hours +

Also, often staring at a phone. 

I get insomnia sometimes, waking up too early. 

Don't forget Nixon and his phlebitis, either...

-Internet instead of doing what, exactly?

If it's holding me back from finding a cure for cancer, then yeah, I gotta get off; lives are at stake.

But if it's this, watching a movie, or looking out the window, I call it a draw.

45 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

I DO have a problem.

And I am aware.

But if I stop posting incessantly, the problem won't go away.

Ok, I have another question. 

Does posting on forums have any psychological impact on a person?

Is posting online therapeutic to some extent?

Sometimes it can be because you vent your frustrations?

You know like there was a theory that keeping a journal can be therapeutic ...

so is posting online similar? although not quite as personal as a journal. 

Yes, i think it can be therapeutic. 

Once, in 2004, I worked in a remote place in Mahasarakham, this forum kept me sane as there was nothing for me to do. 

50 posts a day was common. 

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I heard a rumour that AN will change its format to be more like FarceBook. That will solve any time spent problem for me.????

15 hours ago, KannikaP said:

you sure about that - 555

19 hours ago, Neeranam said:

They'd better take me away now then.

Practically all my waking moments (EXCEPT when I am travelling e.g. driving, train journey or walking) I am stuck in front of a screen, for work and for leisure.

I still have my marbles.

20 hours ago, bbko said:

I would think it depends on the person, what they're watching and what they do when they're not watching a screen. There is no magic number, but there is a point when "enough is enough".

For many of those that I've seen 2 hour off the screen gives them mental issues. 

On 8/29/2023 at 11:47 AM, save the frogs said:

Too much Aseannow and crap on TikTok, yes absolutely

Just look at posters with over 10,000 posts on here. 

Or, over 110,000 posts .. with an average of somewhere in the 100 posts a week range!

On 8/29/2023 at 12:56 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

I think an important part is that we know what we are doing and that we could stop anytime if we detect "strange" behavior.

I.e. a few months ago, I looked from time to time at "shorts" on YouTube. I picked what I wanted to see. And then I clicked on something else I wanted to see, or I continued with my work at the PC or independent of the PC. Fine.

And then somehow I clicked on a "Short", and after that was finished, I clicked "next" to see another unknown short, and next and next. Maybe I did this for 20min. And maybe the next day I did the same.

And then, maybe a week or two later, I realized that I watched every day maybe 30 to 60 minutes shorts. And I did this without really seeing anything. Click, kind of watch, click again, watch a little, haha, click again. And I realized that is a waste of time. And then I didn't do it anymore, because I don't want to waste my time on that level.

Obviously it is still kind of a waste of time to look videos at all or look or write in this forum. But normally I choose what I want to read and see. And as long as I make a conscious decision, then I think that is ok. 

The moment when it becomes a click, click, click routine, that is a problem. But if we realize that and then change our behavior then I think it's still fine. We/I learned something.

If I would continue to watch shorts all the time, and not being able or willing to stop, that would be a problem.

I don't like youtube shorts.   

4 hours ago, radiochaser said:

I don't like youtube shorts.   

Normally I like "longer" videos. But it happens that I see a picture of a Short and it looks interesting and I watch it.

The problem is, at least in my view, when then me (any user) just clicks on next, next, next to see more Shorts. It can be funny, but mostly it's a waste of time. I guess that is how TikTok works. But I never user TikTok...